Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Vitus sentier 27 vr or Trek Roscoe 7?
  • heners
    Free Member

Hi Guys.

I want to buy my first hard tail for all around riding. I’m torn between these 2 options mainly because of the rack mounts. I’m leaning towards Vitus as the front fork got a bigger travel but I’d like to mount a rack from time to time for longer trips I’m considering trek roscoe 7 cause it’s got all the mounting for racking. I’ve had a look and there are many options for bike that doesn’t have the rack mounts such as thule pack’n pedal. Could you please let me know which bike you’d choose and why?

Thanks!

butcher

If you want to put a rack on I’d say go for the one with the mounts, otherwise it’s always going to be a compromise.

Don’t know a whole lot about the Trek, but on the face of it, the Vitus appears a little slacker, longer fork. The Trek may be more of a do-it-all bike, but depends what you’re pairing it up with and what your priorities are. Specs look similar.

joebristol

I’d say the Vitus is a better spec overall and has more fun geometry for mountain biking. I’d only pick the Trek if rack mounts really are a must have.

It’s a no brainer if it were me – in fact I bought a Sentier frame myself and built it up with kit I have and it’s huge fun.

The Vitus has much better forks than the Trek, and it also has better brakes.

Geometry wise the Vitus is much more modern – if you compare the medium Vitus to the M/Long Roscoe the Vitus has a longer reach / slacker head angle / steeper seat angle / shorter chainstays / longer wheelbase / more BB drop.

What this means is it’ll be more stable at speed / pedal better up sharp inclines / still feel quick round corners.

Groupset is much the same although if the chain reaction site spec is correct is has a bigger range cassette (listing 10-50 which would be GX level) and a more sensible 32t chainring. The one on the Trek is listed as 30t which would spin out easier on the road / fireroads.

Crank wise Vitus is gxp with external bearings (should be stiffer but might not last so long) but the Trek might have an internal bearing bb design which is old school. So Vitus is probably ‘better’ on this front.

Wheelwise I suspect the hubs are similar spec / the Trek has much wider rims so is fully ‘plus’ tyres where the Vitus gives you the option to run narrower tyres (day 2.3/2.4) should you want to.

The Vitus has higher spec tyres with better rubber and tubeless compatibility.

Also, the Vitus looks to be a good chunk lighter than the Trek according to the specs on CRC / Evans cycles.

butcher

The Vitus does get good reviews – been looking at it closely myself.

Crank wise Vitus is gxp with external bearings (should be stiffer but might not last so long) but the Trek might have an internal bearing bb design which is old school. So Vitus is probably ‘better’ on this front.

The VR has internal BB with some Powerspline, ISIS sh**e. I almost pulled the trigger until I seen that. Didn’t even realise they still used these.

The Bomber forks are getting some really good reviews though. Completely forgot it had them, so on reflection I’d definitely be weighted towards the Vitus.

Still though. If racks are important… If it’s going to be used for slogging up and down towpaths with the kids. Occasional weekend away with a set of panniers. It all comes down to personal needs.

danmac
    Free Member

I can vouch for the Roscoe 7 as having one myself. Great fun on trails, climbs well, comfortable to ride. The plus tyres do slow you abit on tarmac but that’s to be expected. Worth noting also… I walked into a trek dealer with cash. You would be suprised at the leeway in price!

Although a friend of mine has the vitus in question and he really rates it, so I suppose it’s down on personal preference. The Trek teal on the Roscoe 7 looks even better in the flesh btw

offcumden
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2018 Sentier VR and absolutely love it. Really well balanced, planted and confidence inspiring. I can now tackle steep technical stuff that would have had me umming and aahing in the past. I’m not flying down stuff at light speed, it’s definitely a better bike than I am a rider. Meaning I think someone with more skills than me would get even more out of it.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Get the Vitus. But if you do, get some cheap helicopter tape and do the main areas of the frame, as the paint is very very soft.

Regarding the BB/crankset- its RF Aeffect, so watch carefully for signs of it working loose and sort it straight away. I’ve just had to replace the crankset on my daughter’s VR (went for Shimano) as it would no longer hold on.

But they’re great bikes, I would recommend ++.

mav12
    Free Member

i would go with sentier i have one and love it ,that trek looks heavy. i weighed mine last week just on 13k for an xl ,mine has the has the raceface effect cranks the bottom bracket just died after about 1200 miles . replaced it with a deore for £11.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Vitus sentier 27 vr or Trek Roscoe 7?’ is closed to new replies.