Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Vitus Escarpe Maintenance – Derailleur Hanger
  • ade9933
    Free Member

Hiya – The kids are riding Vitus Escarpes and one thing that has always made me nervous is the derailleur hanger. It bolts on to the frame with 2 small allen bolts and over time has started to wobble a lot from side to side which implies to me that the bolts are wearing away at the frame.

Does anyone know if there is a fix to this?

…this is not to mention that getting hold of these looks difficult too.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/vitus-escarpe-sommet-sentier-gear-hanger/rp-prod129577

Thanks!

riklegge

This happened with an older Escarpe I had. I ordered a replacement hangar but before I got a chance to change it, the area of the frame where the bolt hole for the hangar is cracked off.

It was out of warranty but I was able to order a replacement swing arm section, and with the new hangar on it was wobble free.

The staff member told me that apparently the hangar thickness had been updated to prevent wobble developing.

diplomatt
    Free Member

Hi

Never noticed an issue with the hanger wobbling on mine – I ended up having an issue with the seat tube wobbling! That does mean I’ve got a spare hanger available though…

Matt

riklegge

Wiggle have them

Also some on ebay

ade9933
    Free Member

Yeah okay thanks riklegge. That sounds like the same situation.

I guess I’ll contact Vitus again and just wait for that day and not head anywhere that they can’t walk home from!

You have to wonder if a standard warranty should apply. It seems like a blatant design flaw to me. Isn’t this the whole reason that we have mech hangers?

ade9933
    Free Member

Hi Diplomatt – Ouch. Did you sort the seat tube issue? Anything I need to watch out for or was it a one-off?

Thanks for the Wiggle tip Riklegge!

dhrider
    Free Member
    diplomatt
    Free Member

Cracked at weld attaching the seat tube to the forging(?) round the shock. Failed after 3 years. I’m fairly high mileage, fairly hard riding and have broken most of the frames I’ve owned. It was in warranty and I got full value in CRC vouchers so essentially free frame for 3 years 🙂

ade9933
    Free Member

…seems like I might be a few days within the 3 year warranty (fingers crossed).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Vitus Escarpe Maintenance – Derailleur Hanger’ is closed to new replies.