Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Virgin media alternative router
  • bear-uk
    Free Member

Hi. My super hub 3 is not very super and I am thinking about sticking it in modem mode and having something better for my WiFi.
    Currently have the hub 3 sat on the floor next to the TV cabinet as there is nowhere else to put it. Running cat 6 upstairs to a switch and then cat 6 out to garage with a router for garden Wi-Fi.
    At present WiFi drops dramatically in conny and upstairs. Mainly after there software update.
    So what are you guys running as a router that will handle 100 Meg speeds.
    Regards Steve.

jimdubleyou

Your Cat6 may not be offering the amazeball speeds you think it should (it’s finnicky to install to gigabit standards), I’d also make sure that your extra routers are not trying to allocate IP addresses – ideally the hub should be doing that and the extra wifi boxes should be in AP mode.

That said, if you want to spend a lot of money… get an orbi or other mesh system.

We have an Orbi to my Super Hub3. We have main router downstairs in utility cupboard under the stairs, one satellite upstairs and one in the garage. Pretty good speeds in the garage (15 metres away from house). Has the benefit of being seemless handover between satellites and one network name/password.

jwh
    Free Member

My virgin hub is in modem mode and i use a draytek for wifi and networking / router

only thing is – if you need to do a service check with virgin – it does not always work if the hub is in modem mode.

I’ve been using it like this for ages now – and the draytek handles any outside attacks much better than the virgin hub.
    NOTE: i have various ports open as i work from home.

nixie

One of the mesh network offerings. I went with a Google WiFi which works just fine. Was easy to setup as well.

RicB

I’ve just ordered Virgin Media and expect to need a better router. Mesh seems to be the way to go currently, and GoogleWiFi gets the best reviews unless you need advanced features (the go for Amplifi).

The other thing to consider is the Virgin Hub4 is likely to launch very soon, so there may be a cheap upgrade path there.

MrPottatoHead

Running a Netgear Nighthawk from my superhub 3. I’m sure there are better but it’s working well for me.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Thanks for the great replies. I hadn’t considered the mesh setup and that could make needs easier to use. The hard wired setup seems to be working fine though but need it on upstairs for the garage to work. If I had any idea what I am doing I would be dangerous 😀

simon_g

Ubiquiti Edgerouter X for routing duties. One of their Unifi AC LR access points for Wifi – was going to buy at least one more but actually it covers the whole house fine.

kneed

I empathise with the poor wi-fi performance. In the end I left the Hub do it’s thing downstairs but added extra TP-Link Access Point’s that duplicate the hub WiFi settings and wifi passwords but on separate channels – one upstairs and one in the garage. So we have one wi-fi name, one password but 3 channels.

The hub allocates the IPs. Cat5 cables far exceed the bandwith that the internet can download: only internal LAN (wired PC to wired PC) gets anywhere near the limits of Cat5 never mind Cat6 (in ours anyway).

The TPLinks have an easy to use web style interface, I’ve never had to go near them since installed.

bungle

Virgin here too, SH3 used in modem mode, working well with an ASUS RT-AC68U AC1900 (approx. £140) router. The ASUS was an upgrade on a 3-yr old TP_Link and made a lot of difference to wi-fi quality but location of the router is key.

jwray

Did the same recently.

We have cable to most rooms so mesh didn’t make sense to me. I went with Ubiquiti UniFi in the end. A security gateway, managed switch, and wifi access point. Access point covers way more of the house than I was expecting. Was planning on needing one or two more, but one covers it all (that’s three floors from an AP on the ground floor). Lateral coverage isn’t quite as good – garden is a little weak.

Very nice management tools as well for security, multiple networks, etc if you need that.

If it’s only the wifi aspect of the Virgin box you want to improve you could just try the UniFi AP without their router and switch. Just leave Virgin as is but turn off WiFi.

jwray

Just reread your post. If you just need to get better WiFi you could leave the Virgin as is except turn wifi off and plug a UniFi AP point in.

I did that at first, massive improvement, and was so happy with their kit I bought the other stuff.

Del

Tp link something for about 100 down to 60 about 6 months ago. 4 bed 80s built semi. Excellent speeds and coverage. Looked at the mesh stuff but it was working out to be 3x the price.

2trax

Ubiquity ‘Unifi’ gear here. I work from home and so have a security gateway, network controller and 16 port POE switch, to which I connect three WiFi access points for different parts of the house (substantial stone walls which no single AP is going to cover successfully). Good kit and the software interface (web, app and terminal) gets frequent updates and is pretty easy to use. If you ever need to get into your home network when working away the software makes it easy enough to set up a VPN connection using one of the dynamic DNS services. Would recommend.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I looked at the Mesh setups and although they look great I recon they are overboard for the price. My house has only got wood/plasterboard walls so its looking like a decent router might be the way to go as I only need the interior wifi to travel about 25ft. If I have the garage router on then that gives me a great internal signal in the conny and bedroom so just hoping to replicate that from the living room.
    Thanks for the replies, I am googling your setups and seeing what will suit me.

Del
    aphex_2k
    Free Member

can you set up the virgin in bridge mode and use another router for wifi?

and do you use 2.4 or 5ghz?

direct connect the tv to the hub

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Virgin media alternative router’ is closed to new replies.