Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Veteran riders, what supplements you taking?
  • rewski
    Free Member

And by veteran I mean 40+, anything for joint pain, read recently that glucosamine doesn’t work, cod liver?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nothing at 50. a fair amount of joint pain but I have a decentish diet and there is absolutely no evidnece for supplements doing anything

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Lovely on toast. 😉

cinnamon_girl

I’ve taken glucosamine for around 15 years now when I was running regularly. Made a huge difference to recovery. I use one with chondroitin, 1500mg per day.

My diet is reasonably OK but suspect my body doesn’t work efficiently. Have started taking vitamin D and Co-Q10.

I’m over 50.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Veteran at 40, that’s harsh. I’m just under 50 and take Beroca to keep the colds away. Important to keep your flexibility and core strength with the right exercises.

MadPierre

Beer. After every ride.

djflexure

Chablis here

Tess
    Free Member

Veterans at 40! You are kidding. I didn’t start mtbing till late 40’s Eat pasta, keep pedaling. End of.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Glucosamine & chondroitin plus fish oils for joints: knees borked by rock climbing many years ago, also it seems to help elsewhere. Vitamins just to make sure – try to eat well.

I’m still not fast though.

rewski
    Free Member

Veteran at 40

I thought that, it’s what Gorrick call the 40 plus

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Ibuprofen mostly.

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Ibruprofen and Co-codamol(lower dose than at first) at present – Though thats more to do with the 6 ribs I broke before Xmas!
    Otherwise glucosomine and cod liver oil, because it seems to work for me. (late 50’s)

Coleman
    Free Member

56 here – I think that’s right but not 100% sure!!
    No supplements except cod liver oil – works OK for me but accept this is probably placebo effect.
    Drink beer after social/ club runs.
    Drink Pinot Grigio on race days – mostly afterwards! Got to stick to the training schedule.
    Seems to work for me, but the race results make depressing reading!!

OCB
    Free Member

Mid-40’s – no supplements, lots of nettle tea, eating little & often, mostly raw, organic Vegan wholefoods, and a decent amount of sleep.

I am super picky about how my bike is set up tho’ – much more so than in the past, and thinking about it, I do spin more these days too now, rather than grinding out in a big gear.

I don’t follow any kinda training program, and there’s no real structure to my rides either, so it’s all a bit loose.

oldgit
    Free Member

Cod liver oil only. 52 years old.
    Mo aches and pains (slight one for the first time ever last week from using a borrowed bike)
    Eat well. Dress well for riding and I ride my own ride.
    Very very little alcohol.
    Omnivore with a leaning towards vegatarianism.

FieldMarshall

If you are fit and healthy and have a good diet then supplements probably do little for you.

However, there is no way of really knowing the quantity of vitamins, oils and minerals in food especially if it has been transported along way or stored for a long time. Also if you have underlying illness and/or deficiencies e.g. due to malabsorption then I believe there is value in taking supplements.

Over 40 and I take, multivitamins, omega 3 and vit D. I have also been taking up to 5g of extra vit C a day for last 2 years. So far had no colds or flu.

Interestingly I used to suffer from really bad joints and took both cod liver oil and glucosamine without any noticeable effect. However all the inflammation went away when I stopped eating gluten.

3bikeman
    Free Member

I am 61 yrs old,run approx 10 – 15 miles a week and cycle 80 to 120 miles a week.Run the occasional 10k cross country events e.g. Grizzley Cub run, Charmouth challenge and the Bath Skyline.
    I ride 100k sportives and Audaxs as well as events like Salisbury Challenge, HONC and also ridden 6 Polaris challenges, as well as regularly mountain walking in britain and the alps
    I havent eaten meat or fish since 1976, havnt had a day off work since i dont know when, I do get 1 bad cold a year!! – I have no problem with joints/knees.
    I do NOT take any supplements – but eat lots of fruit, veg, cereals and nuts – and copious amounts of tea!!!+ cake, with the odd pint of beer or glass of red.
    Suggest this is a cheaper/healthier option than paying the large amounts of cash for supplements.Must be the cake that is doing me good!

tallgavin
    Free Member

Nothing at 50. a fair amount of joint pain but I have a decentish diet and there is absolutely no evidnece for supplements doing anything

+1 Afraid TJ is 100% correct on this

cheshirecat
    Free Member

41 and cod liver oil. Seems to work for me.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Grand Vet here 50yo & I have no need for supplements, don’t suffer from any aches & pains other than the ones I get when I fall off 😕

I ride a fair amount mainly at the weekends during Winter plus the odd midweek night ride, I commute in the Summer plus lots of midweek night rides. Still play 5-a-side for an hour each week & I’m still running at the end of the hour much to the surprise of my younger mates.

I eat well, sleep well & try to reduce the amount of stress at work. I think my good health is due to a positive outlook on life & my desire to be as fit as I can.

If you have joint pain is your bike set up right? do you need to adjust your saddle or change the stem length?

iDave
    Free Member

45 here, I eat proper food, no supplements

argoose
    Free Member

cod liver oil, knees hurt if i stop taking it for a week 🙁

elaineanne
    Free Member

40+ lol i thort everyone was ‘over the hill at age ’30-35’…
    its when you here stuff on the telly when they say ” well hes nearly 30 now so he,s gona be slower… 😯 lol}
    so wot age is a veteran..i think its 30+ 😉
    that means i must be ready for the knackers yard then 8O… 😉 :mrgreen:

hamishthecat
    Free Member

What a bloody cheek! 😉

ponti
    Free Member

61 years old,no suppliments.
    Just eat a balanced diet,and a moderate amount of alcohol is a must.
    Try and ride with people who are 20-30 years my junior.
    It works for me.

TiRed

porridge. low gi slow release, cholesterol lowering, calcium supplementing. food of champions.

footflaps

There is clear evidence that some anti-oxidant supplements increase the incidence of cancer and the mortality rate of those with cancer. Read Ben Goldacre’s book ‘Bad Science’. At best vitamin supplements do not harm, at worst they shorten your life.

Karinofnine

Actually, I don’t believe in supplements. I try to eat well which is easier on non-work days than it is on work days. I believe the bad things are: stress, smoking, too much alcohol, lack of exercise, lack of/poor sleep, bad attitude*, pre-made food.

*I mean complaining, feeling hard done by, taking things personally, bitching about others and generally being negative.

HOWEVER, if I get a sore throat I do eat raw garlic crushed onto toast, eating it slowly so the garlic is in my mouth for a time, kills sore throats dead (for me).

As said above, gluten intolerance can give you joint pains, also, experiment with cutting out dairy, lots of people can’t deal with lactose proteins.

(56, fit and active).

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I wouldn’t trust Ben Goldacre as far as I could throw him – he’s a smug lightweight.

Pembo
    Free Member

FieldMarshall – Member
    Interestingly I used to suffer from really bad joints and took both cod liver oil and glucosamine without any noticeable effect. However all the inflammation went away when I stopped eating gluten.

Same thing happened with me when I gave up gluten – food of the devil 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

44 here. Beer, cheese, chocolate and whisky.

Apparently this will affect me in later life. As will riding singlespeeds and fixies everywhere. It makes my knees hurt. Apparently. I’m not sure how long that will take. They seem fine at the moment.

Supplements? Well I quite like wine too.

samuri
    Free Member

I am 61 yrs old,run approx 10 – 15 miles a week and cycle 80 to 120 miles a week.Run the occasional 10k cross country events e.g. Grizzley Cub run, Charmouth challenge and the Bath Skyline.
    I ride 100k sportives and Audaxs as well as events like Salisbury Challenge, HONC and also ridden 6 Polaris challenges, as well as regularly mountain walking in britain and the alps
    I havent eaten meat or fish since 1976, havnt had a day off work since i dont know when, I do get 1 bad cold a year!! – I have no problem with joints/knees.
    I do NOT take any supplements – but eat lots of fruit, veg, cereals and nuts – and copious amounts of tea!!!+ cake, with the odd pint of beer or glass of red.
    Suggest this is a cheaper/healthier option than paying the large amounts of cash for supplements.Must be the cake that is doing me good!

Splendid. I want to be like you. 😉

cinnamon_girl

Could I just ask those who have given up gluten – what do you eat instead, particularly as a substitute for bread?

Thanks. 🙂

Edit: is porridge permitted?

markwalker
    Free Member

stella goodness for me

markwalker
    Free Member

samuri can i be your decipal

xcentric
    Free Member

is that 1/10th of a friend?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Veteran riders, what supplements you taking?’ is closed to new replies.