Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Very random – does anyone have a Crockpot Sizzle & Stew slow cooker?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

We have just got one and the settings seem really vague – if left is off, which is low, which is high and which is ‘keep warm’?

I hope someone can help or I ain’t having slow cooked pulled pork any time soon!

DrP

i had a tefal one..
    it went
    off..high..low

dunno if that helps?

DrP

dyna-ti

Most settings increase by turning clockwise.

So you would think just past off is the lowest setting , and you continue turning clockwise to bring the temperature up to a high cook.

thejesmonddingo

do you own a thermometer ?

johndoh
    Free Member

Most settings increase by turning clockwise.

Is what I assumed but my wife (who is at home reading the instructions) reckons that isn’t the case and I tend to agree

So these are the settings as shown on our cooker…

But on other units they are spelled out…

midlifecrashes

Just put ours on for dinner, but it’s the digital timer version so looks a bit different, but the heat settings do go in order: low->high->keep warm

mulacs
    johndoh
    Free Member

Cheers Mulacs – those instructions are better than the ones ours came with but it does clear things up:

. Plug in your Crock-Pot® slow cooker and select the high ||| or low || cooking temperature using the temperature selector.
    NOTE: The warm setting [|||] is ONLY for keeping food that has already been cooked.

It’s silly because the ‘Keep warm’ setting icon visually suggests it is the hottest setting not the coolest.

mulacs

👍😄 hope the pork was tasty!

johndoh
    Free Member

It was thank you – but slightly overcooked as it turns out it was on high all day rather than low so it was made into a pulled pork chilli. Very nice.

joebristol

Not the same slow cooker but I generally do chunks of pork / beef brisket on low for 8 hours in ours and they come out beautifully.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

If I was given that to fix, I think I’d suggest changing the ‘keep warm’ icon by removing the little horizontal line (which I take to mean ‘the application of heat from the bottom), and then using just one of the wavy vertical lines (which I take to mean ‘the presence of heat’) on its own.

But ideally this function would have its own button, separating it from the cooking controls … combining these two functions on the one control is an example of making things more difficult to understand by trying to make things look simple. One control is not necessarily more simple than two.

I have a Sage Fast-Slow cooker which has more buttons and dials, and more functions, but it’s all very simple to operate.

toby1

Pulled pork, not on the BBQ, are we letting standards slip round here now? 😉

I used to use the slow cooker too, but I got a slow and sear and moved it to the bbq, it comes out very well indeed.

Also, my Morphy Richards slow cooker goes Off | Low | High | Medium, and no I have no idea why that is!

johndoh
    Free Member

If I was given that to fix, I think I’d suggest changing the ‘keep warm’ icon by removing the little horizontal line (which I take to mean ‘the application of heat from the bottom), and then using just one of the wavy vertical lines (which I take to mean ‘the presence of heat’) on its own.

Yeah that would work – or a series of dotted lines rather than solid ones.

But ideally this function would have its own button, separating it from the cooking controls

Agreed – especially as the instructions I have (that don’t actually show which is the ‘keep warm’ icon is unlike the link above) clearly state that the function must not be used for cooking at all…
    NOTE: The warm setting is ONLY for keeping food that has already been cooked warm. DO NOT cook on the warm setting.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Very random – does anyone have a Crockpot Sizzle & Stew slow cooker?’ is closed to new replies.