Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 268 total)
  • Vendee Globe Yacht race starts this Sunday, great footage of the new gen yachts
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

“Erm, lads..oi lads!!.. over here.. anyone seen my foil?”

bikebouy
    Free Member

Alex creating his own rainbows..

cloudnine
    Free Member

Made up 40k places!! Not heading to far west worked.. for now

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve been as high as inside the top 5000.Ans as low as 160,000.
    Currently sat somewhere between the 2.

ampthill

Its weird. I’m loosing places to people on here but gaining hugely overall. No idea where everyone else is going…..

ampthill

What is the big red line at the bottom of the map?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Edge of the world.. Don’t sail off the edge

nickb

>>What is the big red line at the bottom of the map?

Ice exclusion zone. Don’t go below the line!

@ampthill – looks like we are on a collision course – will be very close in the morning!

Nick (Kapow)

matt_outandabout

Vincent on PRB is out – hit something/fell off a wave/something gaveway and his keel is separating from hull it seems…. 🙁

jambalaya
    Free Member

Merde !!!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Tres merde!

Becoup de la tres merdez, innit.

It really is a race of attrition…

matt_outandabout

I do wonder if a non foil boat will survive better. Certainly the skippers will….the noise and motion on the foilers must be awful for three months…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Matt PRB was an old style foiler, ie they are straight down rather than sticking out. TBH so far Riou had done a brilliant job and shown that perhaps the new foilers wouldn’t have it all their own way.

In more positive news Thompson/Boss is doing a stellar job holding his position

bikebouy
    Free Member

Duuffff!
    New record to the Cape, 17days 22hours…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Bosch 😉

matt_outandabout

Like a Boss has new meaning…

sharkbait
    Free Member

That mainsail ^ has a wicked shape.

Back in our race I’m currently taking a hitch down south to try and catch some big winds that seem to be on the way ….. I’ve lost about 12,000 places today!

bikebouy
    Free Member

And Safrans out after hitting another submerged object..

nickb

@sharkbait – I’m watching your hitch south with interest, and I see ampthill is doing the same.
    I’m tempted to follow, but for now will continue on my current course – be interesting to see where we end up in a couple of days!

Nick (Kapow saling)

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m reasonably confident as the winds theoretically going to go a bit light up on the track I was taking before. You never know what’s going to happen next though!

the00
    Free Member

I’m amazed that these boats don’t carry spare foils. Maybe that will be the next development? I can see that the main foils maybe aren’t possible to change alone, but the rudders?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Foils weigh 100kg I believe. People have changed rudders before but as they typically have “a pop up” mechanism if they hit something they don’t break as often anymore. Its also another reason for having two smaller rudders one each side vs traditional one large centre one which as its under the boat is very difficult to change and can sink the boat if it fails. A spare rudder is possible to carry (rule requirement on the volvo race I believe) but spare foils infeasible (weight and they are not symetrical anyway)

Alex is back on the other tack and foiling again but his lead has dropped to 35 miles.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Have these Guys done less than 10knts yet?

Amazing.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Well that went pretty well….. Dropped to about 20,000th but now back to 7500th going quickly in the right direction!
    Get south guys.

bikebouy
    Free Member

BPop has caught Alex, now they are (and will) match race each other until the finish..

CountZero

Not been following this, but the photos are fantastic!

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s a photogenic sport !

Sailing Anarchy did a call with Alex. Audio below or on FB

bikebouy
    Free Member

And Armel take the lead this morning..

Look at the keel ! And this maybe a fluke but he’s even got both woolies flying..

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yep, I bet Alex can’t wait to get back on starboard so he can use his good foil.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sadly I am of the view his chances are toast. Armel has overhauoed a 130 deficit and turned it into a 30 mile lead and is frequently going 2 knots faster. Unless Armel has a problem he can just sail safe and every time he is on the foiling tack/gybe Alex doesn’t have he is going to step away. Josse had one problem (rudder) which cost him 75 miles and now he’s 500 back as he fell into different weather

jambalaya
    Free Member

Amazing how many people turned out to see Tanguy back into Les Sables on a cold Monday afternoon (his wife is English, didnt know that, he lived in Lymington for a while I think)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=947671372032098&id=197426247056618

ampthill

Just got my first advert on the free version

Waiting for it to load

This may take the edge off things

OK I saw no advert, just a count down. I think it thinks I was using an ad blocker but I wasn’t

sharkbait
    Free Member

Plenty of time still for stuff to go wrong Jamba.

bikebouy
    Free Member

JeanLC, you can almost hear him on the radio “Hello, hello…..this is JLC… calling…… a n y o n e!”

jambalaya
    Free Member

A French Navy ship did a rdv with Armel / BP and took some helicopter footage. Saw it on tv but should be on the sites

leffeboy

That is insane. I have no idea how they remain focussed for that length of time with that level of sleep

jambalaya
    Free Member

This is worth watching, I’ve played it 3 times. ‘Kin ‘ell that’s arc’d up 🙂

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x542qr7_j25-armel-le-cleac-h-et-alex-thomson-filmes-par-la-marine-nationale-vendee-globe_sport

[grump on]
    Even in this edit they’ve cut in stock footage, watch for different headsails on BP 😐
    [grump off]

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good find Jam.

The heal angle on Hugo… bloody hell… those canting keel rams must be under so much pressure..

Awesome, the way Alex just bounces around the boat whilst heeled right over… 😕

fogliettaz
    Free Member

Hugo Boss looks over canvassed to me and slower than Banque Populaire, but there again rumour has that he has lost his starboard foil, or has he?

scaredypants

That Alex geezer with the union jack is clearly ‘kin barking !

What’s supposed to be wrong with his boat (in terms your gran would comprehend, please) ?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 268 total)

The topic ‘Vendee Globe Yacht race starts this Sunday, great footage of the new gen yachts’ is closed to new replies.