Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 268 total)
  • Vendee Globe Yacht race starts this Sunday, great footage of the new gen yachts
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Alex upto 2nd, 10NM behind Armel..

Great photo..

ampthill

I’ve slipped back to 140,000 or something. I’ll look for the Stapleford flier tomorrow

But I think that the virtual rankings are a bit odd. Maybe overly based on the “standard route”

nickb

I just joined – currently at ~210,000, so looks like I have some catching up to do. I’m in ‘KAPOW sailing’
    Nick

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m in the heady ranks of the top 10,000 😀 Hugging the Portuguese coast.Going to get reamed on the way across to the Canaries though 🙁 .Might have to invest in the pro-sail upgrade.

matt_outandabout

Loving some of the images and videos of the new foiling boats. I hope they hold together….

That’s what, 8-10 tons and 60′ of boat…
    !

stick_man

@jambalaya appreciate the advice on terminology. Currently doing splendidly well in 83 thousand two hundred and something and not hit land. Have you got off the start line yet?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Great thread, great images. Bookmarked!

CountZero

Bloody hellfire.

Starting to look like F1 cars with bits sticking out all over the shop ship.
    FTFY 😉
    Truly awesome footage of those boats at speed, I feel breathless just watching, incredible stuff, thanks for the thread.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Woohoo.In 24 hours I’ve lost 100,000 places.And then gained them all back and then some.Now sat in the top 5000 (about the same as my mtb results) after taking a flyer through the Canaries.

ampthill

Top 5000 respect

Dropped back to 200,000th

sharkbait
    Free Member

nice job Rorschach ….. is that the boat name also? (need to keep an eye on you!)
    I to up to about 4500 by going east but then lost a load in the canaries …. currently about 50k but hopefully climbing.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Alex back into 3rd, took a bit of a detour for a while but made hell of a lot of positions back up. I’m following them on twitter too, loads of onboard footage and 1/2 hr updates from most of the skippers. Some amazing shots folks, just about to settle with a bottle of wine and scan through them all…

Rorschach
    Free Member

The problem with hugging the coast is at some point I’ve got to gybe and start heading towards Cape Verde ,lest I run headlong into the centre of the doldrums.And at this point I’ll lose about 100,000 places….again.

thecroust
    Free Member

59938th at the minute, I’m wondering how best to get away from the coast as well.
    I’m going away for 2 weeks on Monday so it’ll be interesting to see where I’ve ended up once I get back.
    I’ll have to look some of yous up, I’m crousti no-mates at the minute

sharkbait
    Free Member

Coastal route looking dodgy in about a days time but of course it can all change. There is a reason why the actual skippers are all staying offshore though!

bikebouy
    Free Member

All looking for low pressure systems, so East or West of the Cape Verde’s?? Hmmm most look West…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Alex back into 3rd, took a bit of a detour for a while but made hell of a lot of positions back up. I’m following them on twitter too, loads of onboard footage and 1/2 hr updates from most of the skippers. Some amazing shots folks, just about to settle with a bottle of wine and scan through them all…

Alex … glad for him he has got back in the game, as much as I want a Brit to do well imo he is no where near the level of the top French guys. If he wins it will be by boat design choices.

Twitter feeds sound good .. so maybe finally I should sign up, I need more social media distractions like a hole in the head though 😐

Virtual Race – my setup never worked in time for the start so I gave up.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Only cost me 48,000 places……woop 😐

ampthill

Just seen that the first place VR boat is currently stuck off the coast of Africa doing under 6 knots

I’m heading West of Cape Verdes as the wind is looking very light inshore over the next couple of days

At the moment I’d rather do badly doing my own thing for my own reasons. Than do better following the auto suggestions and learning nothing

edit

Hmm. There is a boat off the coast of Africa that is slightly South of me but well inshore. Its 80,000 places ahead of me. Clearly I must take these ranking too seriuosly

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hola Cape V’ 😀

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Late starter but I have set up a group called “stw” if anyone would like to join.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bike shows you how powerful these boats are – double reef (?) in fairly moderate breeze. I recall a fried who has a Class 40 say first reef on that boat was at around 14 knots

ampthill

I have applied to the stw group

matt_outandabout

These things are shifting! Surely, as long as wind or breakage doesn’t muck it up, we’re in line for a record?

thecroust
    Free Member

Also applied to group.

bikebouy
    Free Member

One tweet from Alex stated “I’ve been clocking 30knts ave for the last 2hrs”

😯

ampthill

That is mental

I should have had Hugo Boss as my virtual boat. I thought I’d chosen a foiler but I haven’t

jambalaya
    Free Member

‘kin ‘ell !

uphillcursing
    Free Member

No foiler here either. I just assumed all the VR boats would be equal unless you paid for the upgrades.

So now I just have to hope I can claw back the 24 to 36 hours I am behind the rest of the STW group. I still think some of you are too close to Africa though.

nickb

How do I join the stw group – can’t see a group option, just the option to find individual boats?

Edit – ah, got it! Community for chat stuff, not on the game itself. Just applied to join.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Heading towards the doldrums.. overheard on the radio “ere Mum, I can see the Sea from ere..”

And Alex playing “peek a boo”

Rorschach
    Free Member

Paying the price for going too far east……lost 60,000 places in 24 hours 😥

thecroust
    Free Member

There are so many playing it though, you only need to slow by a couple k an hour or change course by a few degrees and tens of thousands pass you immediately. Over 400,000 on it now.
    P.s. what’s a foiler? I know nowt about sailing except the names of a couple of sails, and that only from playing VR in the past

Rorschach
    Free Member

See the big wing thingies sticking out the side of Boss in the photo above….thems foils. Hydrofoils (the windward one is usually retracted) create lift,partially lifting the boat from the water reducing drag and therefore increasing speed.They also increase the righting moment (how much force it takes to make the boat heal over) meaning they can use more sail area (though this is somewhat nullified by the rules restricting the beam and amount of ballast they can use).
    They are faster downwind but possibly slower upwind (not that there’s much of it in the Vendee) but the issue is how reliable they will turn out to be especially how they handle the southern ocean.
    They are pretty scary beasts capable of 30knots plus and demanding to sail…..ON YOUR OWN!!…..For 75-80 days.Bonkers.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Years ago all the fuss was about canting keels, still fail occasionally now after all this time. How times have changed.

I can imagine a few scenarios where the foil would fail, extreme lean angle in rough seas where constant bashing off short chop would make the foil bend and fracture. Then theres the scenario where the foils under too much load “gripping” the water and trying to force the boat upwind or the more obvious one where the foil won’t retract back in the box…

Gotta love this technology, all the time testing in Weston Tank simulation to then push it to the extreme.

Fabulous.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Biggest worry is them hitting stuff in/on the water.The have designed them with shear points as they’d do a LOT of damage to the boat at 30knots!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tangy Lamotte has lost the top part of his mast, now back at Cap Verde for a little “bricolage” (diy) no help is permitted inc any outside materials not aboard. He let people know they cannot come within 5m of the boat. It’s going to be a project to rig something to allow him to fly any decent headsail. Bon courage

[video]http://youtu.be/Rr_ERapbFXg[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/TepY4dA4a6Q[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/IZqf6lNNJ9Y[/video]

thecroust
    Free Member

Thanks Rorschach, great explanation.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Still Boss’ing it.. 65nm in the lead, and pulling 5knts more boat speed the two behind him..

And JLeC at full chat..

jambalaya
    Free Member

These photos are current or library ?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 268 total)

The topic ‘Vendee Globe Yacht race starts this Sunday, great footage of the new gen yachts’ is closed to new replies.