Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Tenn waterproof shorts..any good??
  • carlos
    Free Member

Looking at some Tenn Protean waterproof shorts as they are a dam site cheaper than the Endura Superlites, MT500’s and others out there.

What are they like in terms of – Fit, durability, waterproofness and warmth??

I’ve heard the Endura Superlites are cold to wear, not great durability and tear easily should one have a tumble due to the material used. Are the MT500’s better on all accounts but still offer great waterproofness

Views please, ideally from Tenn short wearers

Cheers

fadda

I had some earlier-version ones, they were really good but gave up quickly on the crotch seam.

This issue was on here at some point, and they responded really well, promising to beef up that area. I’d replaced them with some Madison ones, so haven’t tried the later version of Tenns offering, but the Madison’s are great!

scaled
    Free Member

mine are doing alright, probably worth going a size up from usual though, bit snug round the thighs

Stranga
    Free Member

Had a pair of Tenns for over a year now and cant fault them on value for money, bit sweaty on a warm wet summers day but fine for this time of year , lots of use in filthy gritty, dirty wet conditions and wear is fine……on par with my previous Madisons and Alturas for waterproof and durability………used at least once a week Oct – Mar.

tops5
    Free Member

I had the earlier type fail on the crotch seam. Current ones ok so far

scc999

The pair I got were waterproof for about 3 rides.
    The ass then let water through really quickly.
    I think it was a case of getting what you paid for.

I’ve now got a pair of cut down army goretex overtrousers – they work brilliantly at keeping me dry on wet days.

Si

kayak23

fadda – Member
    I had some earlier-version ones, they were really good but gave up quickly on the crotch seam.

+me

Apart from that, they were spot on so if they’ve beefed them up I’d defo buy again.

In terms of cold, I always had lycra undershorts so wouldn’t n notice.

VanHalen

ive used loads of different waterproof shorts and they all fail fairly quickly on the arse. As long as they keep the worst off i`m happy.

dunno what it is i do. I currently have altura atttacks but i think im gonna try the tenn options as well when one set is gopping from yet another soggy ride.

P-Jay
    Free Member

What are they like in terms of – Fit, durability, waterproofness and warmth??

I’ve had mine since Sept, they’re my first pair of waterproof shorts and I didn’t know what to expect.

Fit – the leg area is a lot tighter than any other brand I’ve tried and they don’t have much flex at all, but I have very large thighs even for a rider. I had to return my first pair for a larger one – they were very good about it.

Durability – hard to say, I bought them in Sept expeciting a very wet winter, so far it hasn’t really come, or at least not the days I’ve been riding (lucky me) used them twice, they could still pass for ‘unworn’ on eBay.

Waterproofness – they are, and they’re not the material does a good job of not letting in water, the problem is the two big holes at the bottom and the one at the top. If you swim in them, your balls still get wet – but they do stop that horrible wet arse / crouch area chill on grim days.

Warmth, better (warmer) than any other shorts I wear on very cold wet days – see above. I wouldn’t wear them in anything but cold weather, but I don’t actually mind getting wet, it’s cold and wet I want to avoid and they do that fine.

rivingtonbike
    Free Member

Go up a size, mine were a bit snug around the b@ll@cks 😀
    Crotch area gave up on me on the old version after about 12 months.

spawnofyorkshire

I have a pair of the tenns and my plums are def not a fan of them. They get a run out every once in a while when i forget how uncomfortable they are

scotroutes

Snug, but comfy fit. Not “cold” on the legs like some longer, flappier shorts. Single-stitched crotch eventually wore through, so I contacted Tenn and they sent a replacement. They were labelled the same size but were actually slightly smaller. As a result, they didn’t fit. Double-stitched crotch though, so evidently the newer version. I got in touch with Tenn again and they sent another replacement in the next size up. So far, so good with them.

So – check the crotch stitching and go up a size but absolutely great company to deal with.

carlos
    Free Member

All sounds good.

I’ve done the Army Surplus jobbies and they lasted well but cold over just liner shorts and too hot over normal shorts.

So, go up a size and don’t expect a miracle for £25

nice one

core

I’ve just ordered some as got fed up of a wet arse/pad, I’m wearing baggies over full bibs at the moment. I’ll have to see how they fit by the sounds of things, I went for the larger option, but have BIG thighs.

I love my aldi shorts (the black leisure ones) as they’re comfy and have some give, but they’re not water resistant even. Gore are the nearest thing I suspect.

mattherby
    Free Member

Tried to older version and the crotch area broke within 2 rides. Not sure what the newer versions are like but I felt like I wasted my money.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

They get a run out every once in a while when i forget how uncomfortable they are

your plums or the shorts?

iainc

I had the older ones, tenn replaced them with the newer version which are definitely tougher made on the seat area. As others have said, they legs are quite fitted, but in a good way I find, not too flappy. Waist adjuster has big velcro straps so loads of adjustment.

For £20 and a wee bit they are a no-brainer for me, if they last even one winter (which they do) then better value than the other ones out there.

The other recent revelation I have had is their reflective waterproof commuting trousers – they do exactly what it says on the tin, at a great price..

here

postierich
    Free Member

bought a pair whilst my endures were getting repaired they were cheap but for a reason crotch fail after catching seat after 2 rides !
    Avoid IMHO

jairaj

Those with failing crotches ( 😳 ) any idea if yours were the single or the updated double stitched version that scotroutes and others have mentioned.

There’s clearly quite a few reports of failures but hard to correlate if they are mostly with old design or new.

iainc

my old ones were originals, and after using once a week for a full winter they were a bit threadbare. New ones have seen maybe a dozen or so rides of around 2 hrs duration and apart from a bit of fading on seat panels are as good as new.

mark90
    Free Member

Mine have double stitched crotch but only single stitching on the rear ‘arch’ for want of a better description. 3 rides on them, wet and muddy naturally, and already the threads are looking like they won’t last. I think a better quality more durable thread is needed, and maybe triple stitching, even if it put the cost up a couple of quid.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Ive been wearing a pair for about 4 weeks now, seem to be fine at minute, at least 2 dirty wet muddy rides per week, if they get me through the worst of the winter I’ll be happy for £22 😀

dingleberry
    Free Member

Sizing’s a bit weird – I went up a size and the waist is a bit loose even cinched up, but still quite snug around the balls/arse! So definitely go up a size, maybe even two. Material’s not too thick and they seem to keep me dry enough though. Alright for £20.

grahamattenn
    Free Member

Hi Guys, I am the sales and Marketing Director at Tenn Outdoors. I read this forum alot and I am always interested in the feedback, so thank you, infact it was feedback from here that alerted us to seat issue on our protean shorts and from that we rectified them as soon as was possible by double stitchnig the area. So it was from your direct feedback that changed our product,interesting comments about the rear arch by Mark90, I will get product dev to look into it today.
    Keep the feedback coming (don’t be too harsh, I am a sensitive chap)
    Thanks
    Graham

scotroutes

* waves at Graham *

I noticed that the later (replacement) shorts were also a wee bit lower at the back. Not low enough to be a problem, but a high back on a cycle short is quite a handy feature as it cuts out cold gaps.

Meanwhile, if you could come up with a lightweight, breathable, waterproof jacket with zip-off sleeves and do it in a couple of colours……. 😀

mark90
    Free Member

Hi Graham, good to hear that our feedback is reaching you and being taken on board to help improve the performance of the products. It’s those little tweaks that turn good products into great ones. If the shorts are durable enough I wouldn’t think about replacing them with anything else when the time comes, assuming pricing remains competitive. As indicated I would rather pay £25 for some shorts that really last than £20 for some with too many corners cut. Comparing the thread to that of my Endura Singletracks for instance there appears a difference in thickness / durability. Though obviously the problem with waterproof shorts is the get used in the harshest of conditions.

jonnym92

My original pair lasted a month or so, was replaced by Tenns directly. That pair then lasted another month. Cheap but not really good enough. I suspect on the road or in less muddy areas (can you tell me where these are?) they will last longer.

Madison Addicts, the proper waterproof ones, are far superior but then do cost more..

core

Well my shorts arrived, I ordered the bigger of the two sizes I thought I could have gone for. Not even close, nowhere near doing up, no give in the material at all and I can’t see them taking much stick, so they’re going back for a refund.

For info – 34″ waist, 6ft tall, ordered the large.

postierich
    Free Member

Graham at Tenn can I send mine back for replacement or repair?

Rich

jody
    Free Member

@Graham. Reasonable shorts for the money and the stitching has held together on mine, but as others have found the do get a little damp around the seam on the rear. It doesn’t let much water through but enough to be a little uncomfortable. Maybe move the seems to either side and have a solid panel if design allows.

damascus
    Free Member

I have 2 pairs after reading about them on here. 6ft3 and 32 inch waist. Medium is perfect fit on the waist but tight on the legs. Large fits when Velcro straps tightened. Ideally medium would have wider legs. Great shorts for the money.

mark90
    Free Member

33+/-1″ waist and I find the large cinched in at the waist a better fit than the medium. The medium would have been fine, but I tried both and prefered the extra room and extra 1/2″ on the leg length of the large.

ulysse
    Free Member

Had a pair of month old tenn driven trousers go at the crotch seam and an inch or so down each leg on 24th of December, Graham..
    No biggie, I gorrilla taped them and carried on!

grahamattenn
    Free Member

HI Guys, sorry, but I am abit of a novice when replying on this forum and I can’t see how to reply individually.

We will always take back and replace or refund any product that is faulty or the wrong size. If you need your shorts replaced send them back but mark them for my attention and I will sort them out for you. If we have not met some of your expectations, I am genuinely sorry and please know we listen and work hard to try and deliver the most value for money MTB/Cycle kit we can.
    Thanks guys and safe riding this weekend

Graham

mcnultycop

Mine seem OK, bought last year I think but I’d prefer a button to a popper and belt loops help.

ulysse
    Free Member

It’s the nature of the beast Graham, we often ride in horrendous conditions, in wet grinding paste masquerading as mud, the fit was perfect, they looked good on and off the bike, they did the job up until they failed. I ain’t after a refund, it was probably the mud and maybe catching the saddle that did for them, and would likely do for some megabux boutique brand too.
    I’d buy again for sure, but as Mark 90’s says, if these little details can be improved on to make a truly fantastic product, even if it cost a few more sheckles

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Tenn waterproof shorts..any good??’ is closed to new replies.