Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Veluxwindowtrack world! Advice needed please.
  • RickDraper
    Free Member

My wife and I are currently re-locating our bathroom and are adding a velux window to add light, we need an electric one ad it will be not very accessible. Can anyone offer any advice or help on where we can get a good deal on one? I guess we need to choose a size by measuring the width between the rafters but we could just re-enforce them and chop them out to make the opening bigger. Any advice is really appreciated.

sl2000

Does it definitely need to be electric? They’re pretty easy to open and close with a pole if just high up rather than inaccessible.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Not sure about a good deal as I think they are one of those “same price everywhere” products. Then again they are also excellent products so even if they are expensive they are still going to be good value.

I agree with sl2000. If it is just a matter of height then I agree that a pole would be a better option but if it’s only for light do you really need to open it at all?

jim25

I have in my house and advise to my customers to have fitted too, an electric opening, solar powered opening velux above my stairwell. Wouldn’t be that easy to open even with a pole at 3m long.
    Solar powered means no wiring needed at all, mines been fitted 3 years, no problems.

Velux make the best “velux” windows, I only fit them on my jobs. The cost saving if the other brands aren’t enough to warrant it imo. The flashing kits are much better with the velux brand.

Price wise there all fairly similar, I normally order mine from The roofing Superstore.

jim25
    footflaps

Velux do a cheaper range called Rooflite which I used for our workshop. Not quite as fancy, but still good.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I specced electric velux on an extension in our old house. MAssive waste of money we very rarely opened them !?!

Guess that might be different in your location, especially if you are curry fan, but will it be the only window?

If there’s already a small window not letting in enough light … maybe a Light Well would be easier to fit ?

Good luck

globalti
    Free Member

Get a roofer to measure and fit it; they deal with skylights all the time and shouldn’t mess it up.

RickDraper
    Free Member

The bathroom is getting relocated from the back of the house with an external window to the middle and the only way we can add natural light is a velux window. In summer after speaking to other neighbours with bathrooms in the middle of the house they all said they wished they had a window to open as the steam can become pretty bad even with a powerful extraction fan. The house is a shell with no ceilings, joists, plaster, or electrics at the minute so adding one won’t be a problem.

josh145
    Free Member

I’d choose the size you want, to fit between your joists it would be tiny. Just have to cut a few joists and brace them up to fit the size you want. All you’ll need is solar powered add on to open and shut with a remote. They also shut when it rains which is handy

jimdubleyou

Solar is the way to go.

Wish we’d got one above the stairs now – can get an upgrade kit, but it’s bit faffy to fit.

We have two massive opening skylights in the rear extension on mains power, and the fuse box you need to have near by is painful to my eyes.

We bought from https://www.roofingoutlet.co.uk/ which was the best price at the time.

woffle
    Free Member

the only way we managed to get a ‘deal’ on our velux was to buy a pack of three from roofing warehouse. From memory, it saved us approx 15% vs. buying individually (with blinds etc).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Veluxwindowtrack world! Advice needed please.’ is closed to new replies.