Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Vegpatchtrackworld
  • mrwhyte
    Free Member

What are people sowing/planting intending to do with the veg patches in the coming weeks?

I have gone a little nuts, so I think I’ll have veg growing in all my flower beds.

I have got some toms, squash, courgette, cucumber a range of chillies, peas and chard. I have been giving them a boost in a heated propogator until they sprout. Windowsills are packed now.

Went out last week and got a plum tree too and a few fruit bushes.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Beans, mangetout, tomatoes, chillis, sweetcorn, aubergine, courgette, squash and cucumber all started off indoors. Potatoes are chitting, sowed radish and beetroot under fleece in one of the raised beds yesterday. Will also do onions and carrots but not sowing those just yet. We had a frost last night.

Also attempting to grow luffa/loofah this year

chvck
    Free Member

Garlic, elephant garlic and a couple of onions are sprouting nicely. We put in a batch of onions and potatoes last week.
    More potatoes to come, some salad leaves, courgettes, spinach, tomatoes, strawberries.
    One of the chilli plants in the house is flowering already.
    Does anyone know if those greenhouses which have a plastic cover rather than panes are any good? Alternatively can we grow things like tomatoes without one? We’re in the North West. Going to keep watching this thread for ideas.

DT78
    Free Member

Just built a raised bed, my first foray into veg growing, currently got some spuds, carrots and onions.

Asked on the other thread, what soil should I be using to get best results? Normal compost stuff?

I am silly to be worried that if we do get locked down tomorrow then I won’t be able to buy any veg or soil for the bed I’ve just made?

ebygomm
    Free Member

Does anyone know if those greenhouses which have a plastic cover rather than panes are any good?

We’ve survived with just using one of those the past few years. Despite being screwed to the wall, it was destroyed in the storms earlier this year though so thinking about what to do replacement wise. Tomatoes are the only things we keep in it all summer, but it’s useful to have the space to move things there from indoors before going outside.

Alphabet

Can anyone recommend an online seed shop or are they much of a muchness?

Ta.

lesgrandepotato

I’ve just started digging one out (so to speak) I’ve lifted the turf, what else do I need to do to prep the soil? Just break it up or do I need to add compost?

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I think they are all much for muchness. This place has some of the lesser known varieties though; https://www.otterfarm.co.uk/product-category/plants-seeds/

DT78 are there any stables near you? you could grab a mix of manure and some peat free compost, mix and that should be all good. I’d also try growing leeks, they are always really hardy and can be covered by snow and still all good.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I use premier seeds direct. Mainly because their postage is much more reasonable than a lot of other places if you’re only ordering a few bits.

andy4d

I use DT Brown for my seeds. No particular reason, just have. I find them good value and a big choice.

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks, whilst people are on, would putting old bathroom tiles in the bottom of the bed to help with drainage be okay? It’s built on a concrete slab from an old shed. Was thinking of using old tiles placed with gaps, then the plastic bags from the soil with loads of holes in, then the soil. It’s currently quite deep, at 45cm

lesgrandepotato

Thanks, whilst people are on, would putting old bathroom tiles in the bottom of the bed to help with drainage be okay?

I did this, but my wife accused me of lacking in the romance department.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

DT, that should be OK. I have put all sorts of bits at the bottom of the raised beds, such as bricks, rubble etc.

Sown spring onions today. They go very well on a BBQ when fresh!

Marin
    Free Member

Dug the allotment over today and planted radishes, onions, spuds. Major dig out and refilling of strawberry beds in the week hopefully.

matt_outandabout

We managed to get 2t of soil and a dozen bags of sharp sand delivered on Monday before the lockdown. All ready to mix with last year’s compost. Two new raised beds built in the autumn ready to fill.
    I’ve just had to order seeds and plants online – I was going to use the garden centre at the end of our road ☹️
    Anyhow, our first year growing again after a 20 year hiatus… We have coming:

Rhubarb crowns X2
    Blueberry bushes X2

Seeds: carrot, peas, beetroot, parsnips, spinach, broccoli, mixed salad and radish.

We’ve already got a dozen raspberry, blackcurrant and one redcurrant.

About 20 strawberry’s also in various areas, all split from a bunch left to grow wild when we bought the house and from neighbours.

We also have two new super-dwarfing plums and two dwarf apples, a lonely pear and bird cherry although the neighbours have some to cross pollinate.

MoreCashThanDash

Was going to restart this year, but the monsoon over the winter put paid to that. Started digging it over today, and the clay has multiplied over the winter, but the rhubarb crown has gone nuts, first crumble of the year tonight!

amodicumofgnar

It’s going to be in tubs. Potatoes and carrots, maybe a few herbs / onions. Never done veg before. Had planned to before all of this but not got anything ready. Managed to grab stuff on Sunday before the local garden centre shut down. Before anyone levels the necessary travel charge – 3 miles, no one else there as it’s kind of in the middle of nowhere.

yetidave
    Free Member

i had more spuds last year than the previous, even though i didnt put any in last year. Anyway, this year, spuds, beans, peas and parsnips..

roger_mellie

I have some seeds, but not quite sure what I’m going to grow them in 🤔 – garden soil is heavy clay. Need a cheap container that doesn’t look entirely shite. Any suggestions?!

jimmy

Need a cheap container that doesn’t look entirely shite. Any suggestions?!

I’ve just built a raised bed out of an old pallet. A few choice cuts into 2-high panels and then screw together at the ends. Can do pics tmrow!

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Just finishing off our planting for this year. Kids curtailed things for a couple years but got a decent amount in now.

3 types of potatoes (including purple ones…)

4 types peas

Red and normal onions

Beetroot

Carrots

Rhubarb

Plus we have strawberries, cranberry, blueberry, loganberry, raspberry, tayberry, redcurrant and a plum and pear trees on the go. We also have a pair of kiwi plants, the fruit only get to 1cm in size but every year we hope for it to grow proper!!

Will get lettuce and tomatoes in when its a little warmer.

BillMC

I’ve got 7 supermarket polythene bins, five with spuds, two with garlic. Plus I’ve got garlic in the ground and I’ve got seeds for courgettes and chard that will go in the borders. For anyone who hasn’t grown stuff, courgettes are miraculous, continuously harvest them and they grow like mad. You could have a go at growing spuds from the supermarket, get chitting! Obviously there is loads of gardening videos on YT, could be an opportunity to grow some produce plus spending more time outside.

WildHunter2009

Potatoes in old bins, beans, courgettes and squash in propogators plus some basil rocket for quick harvesting I hope. Have Carrots beets and lettuces to sort out next and a bed to dig.

Also some australian wisteria and coral peas from seed which perhaps surprisingly seem to be sprouting. Not edible but very pretty.

Suspect I have missed my chance to get manure delivered. Anyone around chichester got horses ha.

matt_outandabout

A productive day here.
    null

null

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Vegpatchtrackworld’ is closed to new replies.