Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 278 total)
  • V.Dull – One for the Hi-Fi bods pls – Speaker cable suggestions pls…
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

That’ll be because tube amps have output transformers and so the external load isn’t directly coupled into the power stage of the amplifier

I am aware of that.

A well designed* solid state amp should be immune from this kind of artefact.

One would hope that the Quads fall into this category – especially since a lot of high quality speakers have been designed whilst being driven from Quad amps (Harbeth, probably Spendor, probably all of the BBC designed speakers).

stevehine

I am aware of that.

Good… difficult to tell on this thread what background / knowledge anyone has…

As for the Quads; you would have thought they would have been immune; as a manufacturer they were of the opinion that speaker cable was unimportant unless excessively long and thin ….

poppa
    Free Member

If there is a difference, you should be able to observed it by recording the sound coming out of the speakers with a microphone and performing a spectral analysis, non?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It may mean that, but your argument has the same faith based logic as to those who believe in the various deities that you like to belittle.

Well, not exactly. Everybody is in agreement that there is an actual sound coming out of the speakers in the first place that might lend itself to differing perceptions. In the case of deities, there is no matching completely shared experience.

I bow to the superior electrical expertise, but I seem to remember an argument being made to do with the differences being something to do with the different crystalline structures inherent in variable manufacturing methods/materials?

I’m pretty sure (without going back over all the posts from the old threads) that it was suggested that the changes caused by these different structures was what could not be measured with the existing technology…

Not saying it’s a fact, just a hypothesis, like…

Torminalis
    Free Member

different crystalline structures inherent in variable manufacturing methods/materials?

Not prepared to bet a hundred quid on it then?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Don’t quite understand your textual link there, but Oh, sure. Set it up. NAIM equipment into ProAc speakers, please. I’ll bring the CD’s.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I know the guy who ran Spendor and now works for Harbeth, and was discussing cables as one of the external crossovers of his I tried worked well with a tube amp but not with a solid state amp – and he said that they used to see this on Quad 606s as well.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If there is a difference, you should be able to observed it by recording the sound coming out of the speakers with a microphone and performing a spectral analysis, non?

One day I will do this when I have nothing to do for a few hours – I have a Lynx two soundcard and a Behringer ECM8000 mic within easy reach of the hifi.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Don’t quite understand your textual link there

Nah, there wasn’t one, sorry about that.

I can certainly provide some Naim kit but I have a perfectly serviceable Meridian Amp paired to B&W speakers which will more than do the job. It is the cable/ears we should be testing after all.

Email in the profile if you are serious. Always glad to take the money of those who have more than sense. 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m not sure about the Meridian/B&W factor. I think it may be that only equipment of a certain level is the type able to show up these differences, hence those who maintain the differences DON’T exist, seem to be listening on “budget” Hifi setups at best. At least, that’s my impression from these threads.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

So Naim is higher grade than Meridian?

Torminalis
    Free Member

I think it may be that only equipment of a certain level is the type able to show up these differences

I shall get back in my box then and leave it to the experts. 😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member
    So Naim is higher grade than Meridian?

In my opinion, yes.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Torminalis – Member

I think it may be that only equipment of a certain level is the type able to show up these differences

I shall get back in my box then and leave it to the experts.

Oh, O.K. then. Where are they?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

And ProAc better than B&W?

I did have some tablets once which where lovely on my tube amp but nasty on the solid state amp.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

My point.

I’d be happy to accept the challenge, using equipment that I’m used to listening with…

I have ProAc Response D15’s – they sound completely different to the Tablets.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I’d be happy to accept the challenge, using equipment that I’m used to listening with…

So would I! Your place it is then…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

How can they sound completely different – surely all speakers from a design house should be similair – with only differences like lack of bass in small speakers, etc being present.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Can you get to Leatherhead?

BillMC

I’d like to see the outcome of this.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Leatherheads near me – we could have a cable-rolling party!

stevehine

I think it may be that only equipment of a certain level is the type able to show up these differences, hence those who maintain the differences DON’T exist, seem to be listening on “budget” Hifi setups at best

Oh good grief…

Are you really telling me that I can’t tell the difference between speaker cables because I haven’t got expensive enough equipment ?

And that you are prepared to prove it by using CD’s as reference material ?

Are you aware of quantisation error and digital dither routinely present in CD’s ?

Torminalis
    Free Member

Can you get to Leatherhead?

Yep, I live near Guildford. We could go for a ride afterwards if you like.

stevehine

Leatherheads near me – we could have a cable-rolling party!

Sadly; I’m at the other end of the country; however I’m entirely happy to supply a set of pre-rolled cat 5 speaker cables to be used in the test if it’s actually going to happen.

I’d suggest NOT using a naim amp; for no other reason than it claims to be specifically designed to run with a certain length and type of speaker cable.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’d suggest NOT using a naim amp; for no other reason than it claims to be specifically designed to run with a certain length and type of speaker cable.

But the argument is, that all cable sounds the same…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It is Naim that suggest being careful with speaker cables, cat 5 cable may not be a good idea as it has a high capacitance, does it not?

stevehine

It is; however NAIM claim that the speaker cable characteristics are an integral part of the amp and specify minimum lengths etc..

It’s not so much the sound being different that would worry me; but (as an example) my cat 5 cables have a higher capacitance than most. In the unlikely event that your expensive naim became unstable and oscillated (It does not have a zobel netowrk to prevent this) it could easily melt istelf and you will be left with an expensive block of metal with no warranty to boot.

I’d suggest using an amp that doesn’t specifically warn you not to do this; that is all !

Torminalis
    Free Member

I think the reason that Naim suggest specific cables is because they do not use Zobel network style filters on the outputs, you have to use something without a weird capacitance or inductance issues. My £1.80 PA cable fits the bill perfectly and I would be happy to do the test.

Soldered banana plugs?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

crimped, surely…

ericemel
    Free Member

Don’t want to read through pages of posts. Speakers cables make a huge difference.

Naim amp work best with Naim cables. NACA5 and in the grand scheme not expensive.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Is there a pattern that it is all the Naim owners saying cables make a huge difference?

I only say that they can make some difference…

chiefgrooveguru

My argument would be that in the short runs used for hi-fi the capacitance, inductance and resistance of even cheap small gauge cables is sufficiently small to have no audible effect. With longer runs these electrical parameters will affect the t/s parameters of the loudspeaker drivers and the transfer functions of the passive crossover – but that requires seriously long runs.

All this stuff is measurable. I remember being perplexed years ago when I first used SoundForge, that a piece of music could be represented by a simple wiggly line. But once you realise that that is indeed the case, and our ears hear vibrations in a similar way to a microphone, then you realise that you can run all manner of interesting tests to find out how a piece of equipment changes that that waveform.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

And I don’t think long runs are required for certain speaker and SS amp combinations – I only was using 3 metres or so.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Torminalis – Member
    I think the reason that Naim suggest specific cables is because they do not use Zobel network style filters on the outputs, you have to use something without a weird capacitance or inductance issues. My £1.80 PA cable fits the bill perfectly and I would be happy to do the test.

Soldered banana plugs?

Sent you an email. Soldered bananas, yes.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

… and 3.5M long each.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

freshly screwed in connections would be better – nice and gas tight – no solder to get in the way of the connection.

Torminalis
    Free Member

and 3.5M long each

I am currently using a pair of 8m long cables, I could easily cut one in half now though. I think that it would be equally interesting to leave the cable as it is and perform a test before and after the cut as again, I should there would be an negligible and inaudible difference.

Game on!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member
    freshly screwed in connections would be better – nice and gas tight – no solder to get in the way of the connection.

Not in this case – mine are soldered, we want a level playing field…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

A “negligible” difference is, ahem – a difference…

Which of course, would not be inaudible.

ericemel
    Free Member

I only say that they can make some difference…

Yeah but like all things special to a person, little things to one person, especially if they are not interested are HUGE things to soemone who is passionate.

Same with bikes.

Yes Naim owners tend to like Naim cables, an observer would say Naim had us over a barrel, when in fact comparing to the cost of some highend cable it is truly cheap. Naim could quite easily charge 5x as much and all Naim owners would buy it, but they don’t. But infact the cable works really well with all Naim Amps from the nait 5 to the 552.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 278 total)

The topic ‘V.Dull – One for the Hi-Fi bods pls – Speaker cable suggestions pls…’ is closed to new replies.