Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Van roof light/window thingy. My google skills have failed me.
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Hello,

My old van came with a clear plastic dome thing in the roof, let a reasonable amount of light in for something so small. Hole was 90mm. I didn’t really need it since I was putting windows in the back door so it was removed and I used the hole to fit a rotating vent.
    Doing the new van now, seven years down the line. This will not have windows in the back door. I’ve put a proper opening skylight on the flat bit of the roof where it will fit but would like a bit more light down at the other end. The roof is ribbed there so one of those clear domes like the old van came with would be perfect, fits nicely between the ridges.
    Can’t find one anywhere. The one off the old van has long since gone. What should I been googling? Various combinations of van roof window skylight clear dome vent motorhome etc etc have yielded nothing. Is there a special name for them that I should be using?
    Thanks

epicyclo

Go to a yacht chandlery.

They’re bound to have something suitable – and it won’t leak. 🙂

ElShalimo

I think they are some kind of transparent mushroom vent

willard

Square one like they have in caravans?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Caravan-Skylight/108845/bn_55195537

spooky_b329

Go hippy, there is a van round my way that has a washing machine glass door ‘bowl’ bonded to the roof 🙂 Presumably you can stick your head up inside it and look around (which is actually really handy if you are not having windows!)

andrewh
    Free Member

Mushroom vent is the size and style alright, but they all seem designed to let air in rather than light. Seems to be similar ones for boats too, again vents rather than lights.
    The square one is what I have at the other end of the van, where the big flat bit of roof is, the mushroom type would fit better at this end where the roof is ribbed as it would fit between the ridges.
    I love the washingmachine window idea, only a medium roof so I could stand with my head in it, but same problem as the square one, too big to fit on the flat bits between ridges.
    Off to follow epicyclo’s suggestion and google portholes, wonder if I could fit a small one to a van roof and how it would stand being driven about at 80mph (in France of course, wouldn’t dream of doing that here!)

ajaj
    Free Member

If it’s just for illumination, three layers of chopped strand mat lets in a fair amount of light. Not pretty though.

The motorhome forums that you’ve probably already found suggest that the domes stopped being made a few years ago.

kayak23
    nickdavies

I think youre after a bullseye window. Reimo still make them but theyre expensive.

trail_rat
    Free Member

but same problem as the square one, too big to fit on the flat bits between ridges.

As I said in your other thread. This isn’t a problem at all.

You build up the gaps between the ridges with uPVC window sill and sikaflex

Then fit the window to the flat platform you just created.

spooky_b329

Yep, build up the roof into a flat frame using UPVC strip…It’s perfectly normal and works well. I’ve two 500×900 rooflights and a 400×400 on my van and there is a complicated arrangement of 4 different profiles/heights under the larger ones…no leaks.

andrewh
    Free Member

I took the advice on the other thread about fitting a roof window. Did it very slowly and carefully and it’s been great. Also hasn’t leaked or blown off on the motorway so all good. I’m still dubious of my ability to get a good seal if I tried building up to level with the ridges though so will play it safe.
    I think epicyclo has solved y problem, found this https://www.locksonline.co.uk/Marine-Grade-Portholes/Slim-Round-Fixed-in-Brass-or-Chromium-plated.html Not cheap but looks ideal.
    This is cheaper https://www.ventureplay.co.uk/100mmo-clear-polycarbonate-dome/ but I’m guessing not as robust so will splash out on the proper porthole.

Thanks guys.

epicyclo

The thing about marine stuff is it’s generally designed to hold back a ton or so of water being chucked at it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Van roof light/window thingy. My google skills have failed me.’ is closed to new replies.