Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Van Chat: Learn me all you know about a Ford Transit (newest shape)
  • Olly
    Free Member

We’re after a new Van.

Found the exact one we want. correct length, height and unusually, two sliding doors (which is quite an important requirement as we need to park at home with the left hand side rammed up against a wall)

66 plate T310, with 98’000 miles on it.
    Euro-6 2 Liter 130ps

A generic Transit

Having spoken to the garage on the phone, “they just need to fix the air bag light, then its ready” (he was very open about that though, i think if they were just going to pull the fuse/bulb they wouldn’t have mentioned it)

Its 150 miles away, so not a “quick pop and look”.

Can the team advise of anything to look out for on these?
    how do the newer transits fair with corrosion, we do very low miles (3k a year) so would be looking to keep it for a good 10+ years.

Thanks in advance!

O

Tracey

We have the same model on our motor home build, bought new in 2015 with the 2.2 155 hp engine with the manual box. Just short of 40K on it now and it still looks new. Only problem we have had is that the gearbox went wrong with a couple of bearings and let us down at the start of last years holiday.

Drives great cant think of anything that would make us swap it

We have the 2.0 170hp auto engine in our Tourneo Custom and its good but fuel consumption could be better

100mph
    Free Member

My main concern with Transits is respect to security, they are a doddle to get into and nick!!

Every transit I have owned has been at by thieves and I currently have the following on mine;
    Cat 1 alarm
    Tracker
    Deadlocks on every door
    Pedal lock
    Steering wheel lock
    Wheel clamp when it’s on drive

jkomo

Do they still rust before they paint them?

strugglinon
    Free Member

I use the same van at work.
    It’s nice to drive, more space in the cab than a mk6.
    Although, it’s strangled by emissions laws to the point of gutlessness.
    Gear linkage has been replaced
    DPF replaced twice
    Brake sensor warnings
    Cab doors sag on their hinges
    Sliding doors drop on their runners
    Cracked windscreen due to body flex
    All on a ‘64 plate and 60000 miles.
    Would I buy one? No thanks, Ford dropped a bollock with the mk7.

ElShalimo

It’s the Mk8

Mk7 was the 2007 facelift

What’s it previously been used for, short journeys, or motorway miles?

If short journeys, dpf may cause problems, but it’s got a few miles on the clock so might not be an issue

a11y

Got same euro-6 2.0 130ps ‘Panther’ engine in our 2017 Transit Custom. Decent enough. I suspect 66-plate must be some of the first with the euro-6 after the changeover from the euro-5 2.2 (we had a 20-week wait for factory order for ours).

FB groups are full of horror stories about engines, security and just about everything. Ours has been faultlrss in 2.5yr and 13k miles. I was worried about short journeys and DPF issues but nothing manifested itself so far – try not to use it for short journeys.

gummikuh

I have a 66 plate, L3H2 crew cab, seems OK. Nice to drive, better spec than a sprinter and has good useable space in the rear.
    This is my own work van (carpenter) and I bought it with 16K on the clock, now has about 20K.
    Nothing has gone wrong, but lots of silly things, like internal trim falls off, electric mirror sometimes doesn’t work, and the heated screen has never worked.
    Paint is very thin on them.
    But on the whole I like it, and would buy another if needed.
    Security would be my only worry as already mentioned, door locks need the shields and the OBD port is a known weak point. Rear and side doors can simply be folded down.

ElShalimo

@Olly – you can get aftermarket devices to improve security to a point where the committed thief will go elsewhere

OBD protectors, Hi-security replacement locks etc. Clicky

h4muf
    Free Member

My 2007 Transporter on 120k hasn’t got a rattle,squeak and nothing has gone wrong with it.

Matt_SS_xc

We drove one before buying our Ducato.
    Both brand new.
    Found the wind noise much more in transit. At the time transit was more expensive
    Passenger seat better in ducato.
    Ducato has been faultless for 60k.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My 2007 Transporter on 120k hasn’t got a rattle,squeak and nothing has gone wrong with it.

Yes but compared to a modern transit the old be is like sitting in my land rover.

Things have moved on. VW didn’t .

The 310 is most common in l2h2 also makes the transporter look like a fiat 500

My mates one is a nice ride. Has all the toys and a car like dash.the seats are the most improved from his 08 transit. They are properly done this time like you could drive for ever in them. Properly supportive…..

Nippy enough. Bit of wind noise when your going faster than you should be in a van .

Over all of it wasn’t for transits loving to rot I’d have a look at one when the time comes.

RustyNissanPrairie

I own a MK7 – it’s the biggest pile of crap I’ve ever owned vehicle wise. Designed by absolute numb as **** CAD monkeys with no thoughts to who or how it’s going to be fixed later down the line. Left me stranded twice – once when the starter packed up (had three of them now) and once when the flywheel pulley sheared off in Wales!!!!
    Has an egr/turbo actuator fault that isn’t throwing any codes that I can’t be bothered fixing.
    It rusts before my very eyes despite me doing loads of rub down and 2k paint repairs, the underneath is rusting despite annual waxoyl/dinitrol.
    I know it’s not a mk8 but the same ethos built them both.

Im buying a Ducato next time because at least they are galvanized.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Van Chat: Learn me all you know about a Ford Transit (newest shape)’ is closed to new replies.