Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Van Based MPV
  • td75
    Free Member

Currently looking for a Van based MPV to replace my Audi A6. The Ford Grand Tourneo Connect caught my eye as a possible alternative to Caddy Maxi Life.

I was wondering what the 1.6 and 1.5 TDCI engines are like for reliability? Do they suffer with injector issues like the VW caddy life? I’m assuming the 1.5TDCI Euro 6 is an adblue engine?

tthew

I’m assuming the 1.5TDCI Euro 6 is an adblue engine?

It’s not actually! Or at least it’s not in my 120bhp van version. I don’t know how they get it compliant but no additive needed.

It was the 2 litre engine that had injector problems in the Custom. The only slight negative I’m aware of with the 1.5 is that the wet cambelt was supposed to last the lifetime of the engine but that changed to 150,000 miles and it’s an engine out/massive bill job.

connect2

My late 2018 Connect Euro 6 is adblue. Had it about 6 months and it’s going ok so far. I was looking for either the Connect Tourneo or Caddy Maxi Life and the Connect popped up first. Equipment levels are similar, probably main difference is seating arrangement. On the Connect middle and rear seats fold down to give you a flat floor but you sacrifice some height. I can get a bike stood up with the front wheel off no problem though. The Caddy’s rear seats are more easily removed but you then need somewhere to store them and the middle set fold forward which means you presumably lose some length. Swings and roundabouts

tthew

My late 2018 Connect Euro 6 is adblue.

Ha! there you go. Mine is a 2016 and they had a facelift between then and 2018 so presumably that changed around the same time.

td75
    Free Member

Is the 1.6 a wet cambelt belt as well? How massive is the bill to change one just out of curiosity?

tthew

Dunno. By 1.6, do you mean the petrol version? Awesomely thirsty according to Tracey who’s a member here and has some kind of Tourneo thread alert system running 😁. I’d be surprised if she doesn’t pop by with some salient information soon.

Also unsure on cost. Not had to do mine yet, and at current annual mileage it’s at least 4 years away so may never get to it. Hopefully electric van range/price performance will see me electrified by then.

td75
    Free Member

No I mean the 1.6 tdci.

tthew

Still can’t help, sorry.

mjsmke

Would you not consider petrol? I get over 50mpg on long journeys in my Berlingo. No ADD blue. No DPF. Plenty of power.

td75
    Free Member

mjsmke I’m definitely weighing up Petrol V Diesel at the moment. Love the Berlingo as well. Noticed it’s available in two petrol engines, 1.2 and 1.6. It’s looking like the 1.2 is the better engine? I’ve also notice the Ford Tourneo Connect is available in a 1.0 Ecoboost engine as well.

My other half likes the size of the caddy maxi life. So I was thinking the Grand Tourneo Connect would be a good alternative. It’s seems it’s only available in a 1.6 petrol auto.

td75
    Free Member

Any one got the previous generation Citroen Dispatch? Looking at a 2015 combi version with the 2L HDI 125bhp engine. I’m assuming the engine is the same one used in the passenger cars, are they reliable? Are they galvanised?

Sonor
    Free Member

Any one got the previous generation Citroen Dispatch?

Got a Peugeot Expert 2.0HDI. Reliable so far, though it was looked after by the Police previously. I think the engine is the same one used in the cars, its also the engine Ford used at the time. Try to avoid the 1.6HDI as apart from only having a five speed gear box making it a bit of a thrash at motorway speeds, they can go pop if the engine hasn’t not properly looked after.

Are they galvanised?

Yes. Mine is an 09, and does have a little surface rust in front of the rear wheel arches.

wzzzz
    Free Member

There’s a brand new ford tourneo connect due

Look out for deals on the old one

The new one is the same as the new caddy. VW and ford platform sharing again!

Also check out the rifter/Berlingo/combo. The combo is the cheapest variant.

steveh

Caddy injector problems are only on the 1.6 and not supposed to be an issue after the 2016 facelift ones (which not that much after all became 2.0).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Van Based MPV’ is closed to new replies.