Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Valchromat for carpentry question
  • BigJohn

I hadn’t heard of this stuff before but I was impressed by Kayak’s shelving unit on the “What is the last thing you made” thread.

I make bespoke furniture; wardrobes, desks, cupboards, shelving etc. Mostly I use melamine faced chipboard (MFC) with ABS edging or vinyl wrapped MDF. I’m an advocate of “Continuous Improvement” and looking at Valchromat it seems that it might give me some extra options making contemporary quality pieces.

Has anybody had experience of using it, and can you recommend stockists that will cut it into strips?  I can’t be arsed with full sheets.  Typically I pay £90 for a 2800 x 2070 sheet of Egger 18mm MFC, cut into strips.

maccruiskeen

can you recommend stockists that will cut it into strips?

Whst you need is a stockist near you presumably – so that would depend on where you are

most merchants source from a number of wholesalers though so just ask whoever you already buy from whether they can get  it for you

Timbmet and Latham’s are likely suppliers if theres one in your region – you can buy direct but I often find my local merchant can usually give me a better price ordering through them than I get if I deal with Timbmet direct. (Timbmet and Lathams also won’t cut it up for you)

chickenman

I made an entire kitchen for a customer out of the light grey Valchromat in June. Massive time saving over using faced boards as no edging is required. Cuts really well as it is low in impurities (grit etc) and solvent; smells like lino! Much denser and less prone to sag than mdf too. I paid £110 inc vat per sheet from a local merchant (it came from Lathams near Leeds I think).

nickjb
    Free Member

Nice stuff to work with. Very easy to cut. Not sure how you’d go about getting strips. Suppliers don’t seem to like that sort of thing for smaller orders. Can you get a rail saw and slice it up before moving it?

BigJohn

I’ll try to land a job that it’s suitable for.  Most of my jobs use about 5 full sheets and I get my supplier (HPP) to cut them into strips of precisely the widths I need to minimise cutting.  Anyway, I’ve spotted a merchant who claims to do the cutting and who will deliver.

But what’s the finish like? Will it be suitable for a premium job? Like a TV and shelving unit at £1500?.  And how do the cut edges (using rail saw) need finishing?  Will it hold a screw? ( I construct using pocket holes and dominos) Does it need lacquer or oil?

kayak23

In terms of finish, it comes up beautifully. Edges need sanding and several coats of finish. Essentially, treat it just as you would mdf.

You could try Cutlist for stuff cut to size. They say they do ‘coloured mdf’ though I don’t know if it’s Valchromat specifically.

Home

It’s good stuff. Not cheap though.

chickenman

With a rail saw and a sharp fine blade, three scuffs with 120 then a quick 180, two coats Osmo for a perfect finish; good enough for a ten grand kitchen! Sands easier than normal mdf.

BigJohn

In for a penny then.  I’ve been thinking of doing some “on spec” pieces and was thinking of boring light oak.  Since seeing that £12000 cabinet at Tate Modern.  This might be the opportunity.

simon_g

slhardwoods.co.uk carry it and will cut anything however you like. They’re in Croydon, delivery might be costly if that’s not convenient.

No experience with it but I like the stuff I’ve seen made from it – “Get Hands Dirty” on YouTube has several videos that use it.

zombie222
    Free Member

It’s great stuff. Made quite a few kitchens in Valchromat. Only problem for me, being based in sw France there’s not many suppliers around with enough stock. But it’s a pleasure to work with!

BigJohn

Good to know. I’ve ordered a sample from James Latham to see how I get on with it, cutting, jointing (Kreg pocket hole and Dominos) and finishing so I can show it to customers.
    What’s the best way to finish it? Some sort of Osmo? Or just leave it raw?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Valchromat for carpentry question’ is closed to new replies.