Home Forums Chat Forum Using one cat5 cable for two separate networks.

• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by paul0.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Using one cat5 cable for two separate networks.
  • jkomo

Hi, I need to send data from one medical instrument to a port at the other end of the shop. Rather than running a 25m cable, can I use an existing one that is in use for a completely separate network?
    Do I just put a splitter or switch on each end.
    Thanks

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nope.

Is it 422 or something that won’t go over the network?

But your question doesn’t quite make sense, if you can plug into a socket in the wall at the instrument end, you just need to find the other end of that cable in the rack at the other end, and patch that to another cable that comes out nearer your PC rather than into the switch/router (you may need a router if its and instrument designed to work on a network as it won’t work plugged directly into a PC).

There are probably ways of doing what you want to do, but they’re probably all just as much work as getting 25m of cat5 and some gaffertape.

superlightstu
    Free Member

It is possible to carry multiple different networks over one physical cable, but this requires the installer to intermediate knowledge of network configuration and probably more importantly some additional equipment that’ll cost more than 25m of cable. From your brief description it sounds like the simplest answer of running a second cable is going to be the quickest & cheapest option.

Aidy
    Free Member

You should be able to split it out for two independent 100Mbit connections with appropriate cable hackery. (100Mbit uses 2 pairs, 1000Mbit uses all 4).

Are you sure you actually need to, though? Can you not just proxy/tunnel the network?

stevie750

my network knowledge isn’t great but could you not just set them up on separate vlan’s ?

Daffy

A switch would be better than a splitter for active devices on two separate
    Networks. An extra cable would be even better. No devices to fail/lockup, no risk of data loss/corruption, faster and possibly cheaper.

jkomo

Sorry I’m rubbish at describing.
    So we have 2 devices, one sending data to server ‘a’. The other sending data to server ‘b’. Two separate networks, one cable.

jkomo

After reading the above, I think I’ll just jab a hole in the wall and run a long cable.
    Daffy would I need two switches, one on each end?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My knowledge is limited to making the stuff I use work, so someone might be able to come up with a simple solution that works. But I suspect if you’re asking the question then the answer will be too complicated compared to this.

the simplest answer of running a second cable is going to be the quickest & cheapest option.

[edit]

would I need two switches, one on each end?

No, just plug everything into one switch.

Cougar

Aidy is correct.

It’s a ghetto solution, but it does work. 10/100 (“Fast Ethernet”) only uses four of the eight wires in an Ethernet cable. You can get splitters which shove a second connection down the other four, you’d need one at each end.

However. You’re not describing two separate networks, you’re describing a network and a point-to-point connection. Is there a data protection reason why they have to be segregated or something? If not, shove them all on the same network and fuggeddaboudit.

You’ll have to elaborate on exactly what you’ve got currently and exactly what you’re trying to achieve if you want more accurate advice as to how to achieve that.

fozzie
    Free Member
    rogermoore

It’s a ghetto solution

Pfft! Kids 😉 Actually, you’re right these days it is. 20 years ago I used 100s of those CAT5 cable splitters to expand connections to desks where the site needed to increase the occupancy by a third and recabling wasn’t an option. Ghetto in those days was crimping 2 connectors to each end of a patch cable using 4 of the 8 cores on each! 🙈
    RM.

jkomo

‘Why aren’t they on the same network’.
    I guess it’s like one set is VHS one is Betamax. They just need to get to the same place, but are doing different stuff each.
    If I just whack them both down a cable with a switch will they both then be available anywhere the network goes?

rossburton
    Free Member

Assuming they’re doing proper TCP/IP and so on down the cat5, then just plug switch into the far end, and the devices into the switch. The Netgear GS305 or similar is cheap and bulletproof.

richmars

Are the computers actually on a network? I’ve used motor drives that can be directly connected to a PC using ethernet cable, but the PC isn’t actually ‘on a network’.
    Not sure if knowing this helps.

paul0
    Free Member

Aidy is correct.

It’s a ghetto solution, but it does work. 10/100 (“Fast Ethernet”) only uses four of the eight wires in an Ethernet cable. You can get splitters which shove a second connection down the other four, you’d need one at each end

+1. Can confirm this works…. I have repurposed 2-pair telephone cable that was installed around our house to provide network cable to TVs etc and avoid everything having to go over wifi.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Using one cat5 cable for two separate networks.’ is closed to new replies.