Home Forums Chat Forum Using a Feuerhand Lantern inside

• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Using a Feuerhand Lantern inside
  • SaxonRider

The instructions on my Feuerhand lantern say that it should not be used inside, and yet in all my time camping as a kid in Canada (a lot!), I know that my father lit our Alpenkreuzer trailer-tent with a similar kerosene lamp.

Was he just taking a very dangerous risk? Or can such lanterns in fact be used inside, and the directions on the packaging are just being cautious?

What, other than the normal danger associated with any flame and flammable liquid, is the particular danger of using such a lantern inside? Fumes?

Please pardon the ignorance. I obviously don’t want to do anything stupid; I just thought such a lantern could be used in- as well as outside.

EDIT: I should add that I am using lamp oil in mine and not kerosene.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I bet the main concern is flames and flammable liquid as you say but I’d probably google the byproducts of whatever fuel you are using before I inhaled too much of it

molgrips
    Free Member

Attitudes to and understanding of risk was somewhat different in those days. When I was a kid cars didn’t even come with rear seatbelts, everyone thought that was just fine.

There may well be issues with fumes. I would not expect CO to be an issue but I probably wouldn’t use one just in case. I am a cautious sort. Spend a few minutes imagining as intensely as you can what it would be like to be in a house fire, then consider the instructions again…

maccruiskeen

There may be standards / legislation that would exclude that kind of lamp marketed within the parameters of an ‘indoor light’ – even if you could market pretty much the same thing and called it a ‘fondu’

is the particular danger of using such a lantern inside? Fumes?

‘inside’ is very broad term – inside a barn? inside your house? inside a cupboard? While you’re awake? While you’re asleep? While you’re drunk? Should you’re kids use one inside their Wendy house?  You could either have some sort of qualification to ‘inside’ on the packaging with a stipulation of room volumes, ventilation requirements and the suitablility of users – or you can just say ‘not inside – because its the start of the third decade of the 21st Century’ :-)

derek_starship
    Free Member

If you are using odourless lamp oil then I see no reason why the lantern cannot be used inside.

Kerosene is highly flammable and produces fumes with a significant odour.

Lamp oil is only flammable in a wick. You could smash a lit lamp oil fuel lantern on the floor and it would go out.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Because the company cannot control what fuel you burn in their lamp they have to cover their asses!

molgrips
    Free Member

Lamp oil is only flammable in a wick. You could smash a lit lamp oil fuel lantern on the floor and it would go out.

Unless you get it on something that can act as a wick such as a carpet or piece of furniture with fabric, which are commonly found on floors.

Kerosene/paraffin also puts out flames in my experience.

gonefishin
    Free Member

In addition to the obvious risks associated with having naked flames causing things to catch fire I would be concerned about Carbon Monoxide. In fact that would likely be my number one concern over and above the likelihood of a fire as people can see the danger of a fire but CO is a bit less obvious.

kcr
    Free Member

Burning anything indoors is going to release toxins and result in poorer air quality, whether it is lamps, candles, or even toast!
    Obviously in most cases the risk will be relatively low if you are not doing it regularly for prolonged periods. Less of a risk outdoors because of improved ventilation.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Using a Feuerhand Lantern inside’ is closed to new replies.