Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Used car from dealer, any chance of return/help
  • leegee

I bought a used Suzuki swift sport in early January from a dealer after my previous one was written off when I was driven into whilst stationary on a country lane.

Last night on the way home from an after work ride, I exited the motorway when I noticed it was very hard to change gear, i drove about a mile further to get home and it got a bit easier to change but when i put it into first to get onto the driveway it was making some nasty noises.

Bought it with about 67K and it’s now done 72K, is it worth me contacting the dealer? legally do I have any recourse?

Thanks

tthew

Did it come with a used car warranty? Is this still in date? If the answer is no to either of these questions, then probably not worth your time chasing the dealer. Sometimes used stuff breaks, cost/risk balance of buying second hand rather than new.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Yes, the car must be fit for purpose & if you have to go to court then you will win.
    Be nice to begin with & ask the question, then send a recorded delivery letter stating that you plan to take legal action if they do not repair it, the only thing they won’t cover is the clutch so worth confirming what is wrong with it before you go in all guns blazing.

martinhutch

Yes, the car must be fit for purpose & if you have to go to court then you will win.

He’s done five thousand miles in it since it left the dealership. It’s not like it lunched itself five miles from the forecourt. Realistically there is no way you could successfully claim that it was not fit for purpose at the point of sale.

As above, if the part in question is covered by warranty, you can use that.

oldtennisshoes

Yes, the car must be fit for purpose

For how long? It was bought 4 months ago.

spennyy
    Free Member

Check any paperwork from when you bought it. On a used car id only expect a 3 month warranty.

leegee

That’s what I thought, Drat!
    Thanks everyone.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Cars fall into a different category
    First get a diagnosis
    Second how old is the car and does it have full DOCUMENTED service history
    Plus is the supplying dealer a multi car dealer or a Suzuki authorized dealer

trail_rat
    Free Member

The mystic 8 ball is strong with this one.

You can’t loose.

*I predict a foxtrot oscar from the garage and likewise any solicitor you try to get to take on the case for court.

escrs
    Free Member

Read up on your consumer rights

https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights

2nd hand cars bought from dealers have to be fit for purpose, if an issue arises within the first 6 months then the dealer has to prove the fault wasn’t there when you were sold the car, if its been more than 6 months then you have to prove the fault was present from the day you bought the car

leegee

Big-Bud , the dealer was a small independent.

escrs, thanks. Nothing ventured nothing gained, I’ll contact them Tuesday.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

The mystic 8 ball is strong with this one.

You can’t loose.

*I predict a foxtrot oscar from the garage and likewise any solicitor you try to get to take on the case for court.

I’m so glad I bothered to reply 😉
    but it’s ok because someone else has said the same thing a backed it up with a real internet link & everything.
    I have had experience from the other side of the fence when a fault on a used car was pointed out & documented on the invoice but we still lost in court as the extent of the fault was not made clear in the judges opinion.
    Cheers.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Prove the fault wasn’t there car was sold.”

Ok.

“How did the gear box work for the previous 5000milez”

“Fine”

“I rest my case m’laud ”

Alot can happen to a gearbox in 5000 miles of it working without fault. . I can’t see any judge siding with the consumer on this one.

This isn’t someone holding an invoice with an admission of guilt all over it. They couldn’t lose you were right about that.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Used car from dealer, any chance of return/help’ is closed to new replies.