Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • USA riding trip – Late May to Early July – Utah, Colorado, Arizona etc
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Not gloating, though I am very happy about this, but looking for some help with some trip ideas.

We’ve got 3 or 4 weeks, and have already done a lot of riding in Moab (but would go again) and Durango (..but would go again too, ideally when the higher elevation trails were open).

I dont mind doing a fair bit of driving, and we’ll take our own bikes.

Ideally we’d want to do:

Moab (again, but could be hot). Whole Enchilada was amazing and I want to ride it again. Guess the heat isnt so much of an issue with a big uplifted trip (but there could still be snow in May?).

Durango – Hermosa Creek, Mountain Resort trails etc. Plus Cortez

Sedona – but too hot?

Flagstaff area

Telluride / Salida / Crested Butte area maybe – but too much snow?

Gooseberry Mesa / Thunder Mountain

Salt Lake City area trails

..any other ideas, bearing in mind the time of year (which we have to stick to).

I’d also like to try some canyoning, so will probably end up around Moab at some point. We would want to get up to some higher elevations, but might have to keep an eye on how much snow falls this winter.

Thanks

simon1975

Fruita’s definitely worthwhile stopping at for a day or two’s riding, although it’ll probably be very hot.

I can definitely recommend Crested Butte for the town / resort as well as the riding. Telluride less so, but still worth a look if you’ve got time. I struggled a bit at the high altitudes…

Have a look at doing the Monarch Crest trail (Great Divide). A great day out!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

further north and higher altitude in june/july for the heat. Crested butte is terrific (advanced search function will find loads of threads, pics and trail advice, my photobucket isnt working so cant re-post). We had no problems with the altitude, and we were riding there 2 days after landing in denver, seems very personal. Moab/Arizona will be BRUTAL. My brother rashly went to Moab in July for a guided holiday, the rides started at 5am and they had to carry at least 5L of water or the guides wouldnt let them on the trails.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

crsshtestmonkey – did you ride at Crested Butte in June?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

mid to late July. We also rode around Boulder (Nederland, Marshall Mesa), Monach Crest aka continental divide, Winter Park resort and Buffalo Creek. Buffalo Creek was the stand-out ride because it so exceeded my expectations. I’d expected it to be a gentle scenic riverside pootle and it was all singletrack, with lots of sandy boulders. And oppressively hot when we rode it.

CB might be under snow in May, but your timescale is wide (May to July) so where’s ‘best’ to go will be influenced by when you decide to go. You know Moab better than me, but the southern desert areas youre thinking of might be ideal in May but horrendous in July.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Monarch Crest (there are companies in towns either side that do shuttle runs to the top)

403 trail, CB

scenic view from pass on route

playing in winter park

dawson

i went to Salt Lake many years ago and we went to this place in the summer climbing down the mountain etc – worth a look-see http://www.snowbird.com/

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

thanks Monkey, that’s the sort of riding I’m looking for. We’re off to work in Chamonix when we get back, so can take it some alpine stuff there, but I really like the US riding scene (and better post ride beers and food!).

I think we’ll go as late as possible, and maybe avoid spending too long in Moab. Or, try and delay until september when all those areas will be good.

For anyone else interested, there’s soem inspiration on the Hermosa Tours and Rim Tours websites.

cheers all

thatpeskylimey
    Free Member

I did Moab last May with a goal to do the Whole Enchilada. Sadly, the the top section was shut because of lingering snow and while the next section down was clear, the following section was a clay pit. The shuttle bus guys would only take us up to the top of UPS as they said if you went through the clay you’d be riding a 100lb+ clay covered bike down the following 20 mile stretch (not fun).

If you’re headed to Salt Lake City, be sure to check out Corner Canyon. I’m here at the moment and the trail system there is pretty cool. Sadly its under snow now and is really only fatbike accessible.
    http://www.cornercanyontrails.com/

SD-253
    Free Member

Just a suggestion Canada to Mexico definitely not the other way round as the wind only blows one way North to South. It used to be one road all the way Highway 1. Now it is Highway 101 which doesn’t follow the coast exactly. Straitens the old Highway 1 from Canada to around Eurika (no positive on the latter). After that it becomes Highway 1 again.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_1

kcr
    Free Member

It’s a few years since I was there, but Monarch Crest was a highlight of Colorado for me. Mile after mile of singletrack, up in the 14,000 ft mountains. As pointed out above, the trail might be under snow late spring/early summer.
    I flew to Denver and travelled to Moab over a few days, driving a couple of hours each day and stopping off to ride, and there were lots of places to visit; Colorado Springs, Crested Butte, Hartman Rocks in Gunnison, etc. Just have a dig around on the internet or get a guide book.

jkomo

Can’t help with the rides, but did a road trip last year.
    We stayed in Flagstaff at the famous hotel ‘Montevista’.
    It isn’t particularly expensive or flash, but it a great old world charm. It also has three bars, which were full of young Indy student types having a great time. We got chatting to some roadies for ‘The xx’. Very friendly, and great fun. In fact, the most fun we had in 1500 miles.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

We only had time for one ride in Flagstaff last year, so did Sunset off Mt Eldon. Long fireroad climb (with singletrack alternative) and a cracking descent. I’d like to get back there soon. They get less snow that most of Colorado too, and close to Sedona.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘USA riding trip – Late May to Early July – Utah, Colorado, Arizona etc’ is closed to new replies.