Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Urrgghh, tyres. DH casing feel without the pedalling pain.
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

Was pretty happy with my tyre selection of conti baron/trail king, ran 28/30 psi to get the support i liked bit still had a “damped” enough feel. Slop go too deep for them, slapped on my dhr dh tyres, my oh my, the ride quality, damping and cutting in is next level, but they are very sad to pedal.

So shopping around for something that feels more like the dh tyres but less painful to pedal.

The options I’m running through-

Maxxis double down/maxx terra rear – didn’t have the support of the dh casing from memory, felt more like an exo to me.

Maxxis exo+/maxx terra rear – use with some rimpact tyre inserts i have laying around.

Wtb judge/verdict – can get the rear in “fast rolling” and dh casing. Tread block are tall, are these squirmy on hard pack?

beer247
    Free Member

I run the Verdict/Judge combo – great feel and grip but not much lighter than a set of DH tyres.

I’m quite happy to just spin up hills slowly in the 50t cog though….

Prob the way to go is lighter casings and an insert?

chiefgrooveguru

Does Cushcore add a similarly damped feel to dual ply casings? I noticed a benefit with Rimpact inserts albeit more subtle.

lardman
    Free Member

EXO+ and rimpact is a pretty good compromise. That’s what I run in all
    My bikes that will need pedalling up at some point.

DickBarton

Are you running tubeless or not? Pressures suggest you aren’t…if you are, what about running a tube in there instead?

deanfbm
    Free Member

I’m tubeless.

With tubes, I have to go 35psi+ to not instantly pinch flat with trail weight tyres.

stevextc
    Free Member

My ARD’s inside DD feel very nice and supportive.

lardman
    Free Member

35psi? Really? That’s a very hard tyre.
    I’m 110kgs and only run 25ish in 2.5 EXO+ tyres. I can’t remember that last time I pinch flatted, or even dinged a run.

I do try to take off quite often too…..

airvent
    Free Member

Drop it to 25psi that’s way too hard

deanfbm
    Free Member

95kg, strong, aims for max pump on every backside, dip and turn, 25psi on the rear with a trail tyre burps and comes off the rim in no time, also feels unpredictable on jumps.

Got exo+ on the way to try with rimpact.

BoardinBob

Is this Geex latest alias?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

To be fair, if you can corner well/fast and like to mess around cutting insides, in the dry anything less than 25psi on something less than a DD casing only ends one way.

They also feel crap because they squirm so much.

I put up and suffer with a DD F&R setup for this reason.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

DD is nothing like Exo – not sure what you’re on about there.

I’ve run DD and DH casing Assegais and I can’t tell the difference – there’s only 50g between them.

JP

zezaskar
    Free Member

First, mind that you went from a lightish rear tyre (Trail King) straight to a DH casing, so a period of fitness adaptation is expected. You’d likely have the same comment going from the Trail King to a Maxxis Double Down or so.

Currently on a set of Wild Enduros after a long string of Maxxis, I for one am done messing with trail casings and inserts. Next set I’m in for DH casing without inserts. They feel better, are more reliable and weight as much or even less than “enduro” casings with inserts.
    Trying to choose between DHR2, Assegais or DH22s, same tyre front and rear

andyrm
    Free Member

I’m running WTB Verdict / Trail Boss year round, tough casing both ends, fast compound on the rear.

It’s worth sticking with the heavier tyres and building up the extra fitness as has been mentioned. The better ride quality, rim protection, reduced puncture risk and less risk of burping is well worth it. Won’t take long for you to build up your fitness to compensate.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Over the last 3 years or so I went progressively heavier on my tyres, in search of ever more performance and reliability. I went from 800g tyre to the current 1200/1300g tyres plus inserts. I enjoy riding so much more now and can actually climb a lot more because I’m in better shape.

Each iteration was 100/200g heavier and took me 2 or 3 weeks for my fitness to catch up.

woollybackpaul
    Free Member

I’m running (have done for a few years) Maxxis DD’s front and rear.

Normally DHF either end but have switched to an Assegai upfront this winter.

Plenty of grip and can’t remember the last time I’ve had a puncture or even a burp (obviously now I’ve said that, next ride……). They last a reasonable
    Amount of time too.

I ride rocky, rooty stuff round Calderdale, Lakes, Peaks, Saddleworth and some DH tracks too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Urrgghh, tyres. DH casing feel without the pedalling pain.’ is closed to new replies.