Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • urinating contest, what's under the bonnet of your pc?
  • cheez0
    Free Member

have just bitten the bullet and spunked a load of dosh on an i7 processor, 8gig of ram, a new silly motherboard and a gtx560ti graphics card to bring the old cheezetech into this century.
    going hoping it will give bf3 a good hiding as my old 2gig 8800 dual core setup was not up to the job.

as this is stw, shirley theres some willy waving to be had on this subject?

Junkyard
    Free Member

windows XP

chvck
    Free Member

Not sure I can willy wave but my work laptop has an i7 and 8 gig too! Gfx card is a bit lacking though. Got a hybrid drive that has started making odd noises from time to time which is rather worrying too. I’d quite like double that RAM!

allthepies
    Free Member

i7 with 4Gb RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

This has potential to be the saddest STW thread ever.

Simon

Our desktop is broken and I’ve no idea what’s inside it. Currently using a laptop I was given with a duff battery.

iDave
    Free Member

I think it’s already legendary sadness quality

Stoner
    Free Member

Like any proper man, Ive gone for power over performance.

My desktop is driven by a Corsair HX1000 😉

CHB

amd phenom ii x6 processor (support the little guy…I7 is better though!). 16gb of 1600 ddr3. ocz ssd. 2x 2tb hdd.
    radeon 5770 graphics. …currently I cant get on the thing as my daughter has minecraft monopoly.

Jamie
    Free Member

What’s the difference between this and people comparing bike bling?

Not my personal interest, but a hobby is in the eye of the beholder.

Coyote
    Free Member

FIFY

CHB

I posted a what tyres thread on engadget and got called a sad weirdo.

mboy
    Free Member

Q9400 Core2Quad, 4GB RAM, 8800GTX GFX card, but it’s running Mac OSX not windows, so it might as well have 2 6 core processors and 64GB of RAM quite frankly! 😉

Toying with the idea of updating it with i7 Sandybridge processor and mobo, and a newer GFX card, but funds are extremely tight and I had to buy a new laptop (core i7 MacBookPro) recently anyway.

Markie
    Free Member

Anybody else using Geekbench to benchmark where they’re at?

http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/

MountainMutant
    Free Member

3.1ghz i5 27″ iMac 8gb ram

It’s so pretty 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

crumbs and fluff mostly.. and some computer stuff.. 😳

daveh
    Free Member

Ssd needs to be included for a x3 improvement in loading times!

Markie
    Free Member

Oh, and a Q6600 G0 over-clocked to 3.2 with 8GB RAM on an ASUS Commando with an 8800 nVidia something. New TV and car this year, computer next!

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

MountainMutant – Member
    3.1ghz i5 27″ iMac 8gb ram

It’s so pretty

Snap 8)

kudos100
    Free Member

I bought myself a new pc late last year. First in about 10 years!

i5 3.2 ghz sandybridge, Nvidia gtx 460, 4gb ram, Blu ray rewriter.

Runs battlefield 3 like a dream……..

Whats your ID on BF3 cheez0?

PlopNofear
    Free Member

Intel Core i5 2500k Overlocked to 4.0 GHZ (Boot can change to a different preset so it boots at 4.7GHZ)
    P8P67LE MoBo
    8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
    ATI 6850 1GB
    1TB HDD
    Corsair TX650 PSU
    Win7 Home 64bit

cheez0
    Free Member

some metaphorically well endowed folks so far, we’re not taking about our real willies, yunki!

bf3 id is cheez0-0, though I haven’t played it much, kept crashing etc.

am working away this week but will be getring under the bonnet at the weekend

..and how does a discussion on pc hardware differ from any of the other ‘tell me what you’ve got’ threads?

Cougar

..and how does a discussion on pc hardware differ from any of the other ‘tell me what you’ve got’ threads?

Because twenty years ago, having an interest in computers was “sad.” Unless you’ve got a virus, then suddenly you develop amnesia and the geeks are your bestest friends.

andyl
    Free Member

Desktop:

Pentium 3 slot 1 866ghz with 1Gb ram

ATI Radion 8500 AGP and used to have an unknown brand S3 PCI graphics card so I could use a 3rd screen when doing programming.

It’s not what you got but how you use it 🙂

Current laptop is a Dell Latitude X300 with a Pentium-M 1.4Ghz and 1Gb of ram. I was given it a few years back (being thrown out from a company). It’s a bit worse for wear though as the wifi packed in the night before I had to print out my PhD thesis and the right hand screen hinge packed in a couple of weeks ago so the screen half falls off every now and then. Oh and I’ve gone through a hard drive and 2 normal batteries and 1 high capacity one in the last 2 years as I rely on my PCs quite a bit.

Was just about to buy a new laptop as I need it for work (self employed) but needed a new gas pipe in my flat 🙁

coolhandluke
    Free Member

no idea if this is good or not but…

Celeron 2.0Ghz processor, 2.0Gb of ram, NVIDIA Gforce 6200 graphics card, XP home SP3

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Intel Pentium 4 processor @ 2.66ghz
    768mb of ram
    250gb hard drive
    another hard drive (cant remember the capacity)
    64mb geforce 2 card
    17″ CRT monitor

This website with all the flash adverts makes it lag

I might buy a new computer tonight.

Russell96

Hex core AMD 1075T running at 3.3ghz, 8Gb of OCZ RAM, Asus Direct CU II 6950 2Gb thats runs quicker than a stock 6970, 3.5Tb spread across four disc drives. All in a Zalman case with four 120mm case fans running at min RPM via a front panel fan controller, super quiet Nesteq PSU and a Scythe Mugen heatsink with a Noctua high static pressure 120mm fan, all makes for a very quiet but cool even under heavy load PC.

toys19
    Free Member

Mine below is the biggest so far, I await a beating…

Dual Quad core -thats 8 cores on a server motherboard
    32 GB of ram (ECCREG)
    dual striped 128gb ssd’s
    nvidia 2grand graphics card

Its a CAE machine, and its still too effin slow.

scaredypants

how do I find out ?

😳

(I do sort of know, honest but how do I really find out – dig out the handbooks ?)

/teenyimaginarynob

Northwind

I’m sort of perversely proud that mine still has a Q6600 G0 in it, still doing the business after 5 years of being overclocked til you could cook on it. Stuck in 8gb of fast ddr2 ram just lately, not because it’s useful or anything but just because it’s so cheap now. Shows no signs at all of being outmoded tbh, teh internetz told me it’d hold back my 560ti graphics card but it turned out not to.

Markie
    Free Member

how do I find out ?

Download something free but respected like CPU-Z (link below) and it will tell you all about your motherboard, CPU and RAM.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Bregante

All sorts of wonderous electrickerological gadgetry which I have absolutely no desire to know anything about.

Or magic.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I think my smart phone has more oomph than my desktop and laptop put together 🙁

Mikeypies
    Free Member

crumbs and fluff mainly and some bits with wires and stuff hiding in the corners

juanking

I5 2500k cpu clocked @4.2 ghz, 16 Gb ram, Asus Sabretooth mobo, Crucial M4 SSD 320 Gb, Raptor drives set up as a raid 0 for storage, 2Nvidia gtx 480 Sli, 850 watt corsair psu. It runs anything on max. Ps. The misses hates it!

takisawa2

Dell Precision M6600 laptop.
    I know that because thats what flashes up when I switch it on.
    Beyond that I couldnt tell you much, but I the IT bloke said it has a raid. Whatever a raid is.
    Oh, & it weighs a ton.

oldnpastit

Some pretty impressive machines there for desktops!

I think my smart phone has more oomph than my desktop and laptop put together

I work for a company that makes, among other things, chipsets for mobile phones and tablets. There’s a crazy arms race going on right now!

My desktop is a pretty boring 3 year old Dell laptop, Core2 duo, 4G. But the servers at work that I’ve been involved in setting up…

Intel Xeon, 3.5GHz
    12 core (+ 2way hyperthreading = “24 core”)
    148G DDR
    About 1Tb RAID1 SAS storage.

AlasdairMc

Athlon 1700, 160GB drive and 1GB RAM. Even then, the RAM was a recent eBay purchase (just so iTunes would run as I was fine on 256MB), meaning my total PC hardware spend for the past decade was £5 (including postage and packing).

kudos100
    Free Member

Cool I’ll add you. My ID is kudos1000

mudshark
    Free Member

I’m more interested in the older machines still proving good service. I have a P4 3.2Ghz 1gb running Ubuntu which is fine for office applications.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘urinating contest, what's under the bonnet of your pc?’ is closed to new replies.