• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by 5lab.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Interesting – Surfing Wavegraden in Bristol
  • redthunder
    Free Member

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/5m-make-Bristol-world-s-city-inland-surfing/story-14157034-detail/story.html

Dont recall shire having back drop like the picture though :D.

Looking forward to it though.

jam-bo

That’ll be nice in February…

yunki
    Free Member

that’s an awesome idea..

jonba
    Free Member

Ace, It might not attract the casual punter in February but most people who are into surfing things (kayakers, surfers, body boarder etc. wouldn’t be put off by it being a bit chilly). I used to kayak surf in Tynemouth when the rivers froze in winter.

headfirst
    Free Member

the original:

http://video.mpora.com/watch/O5DkmnAfH/

pretty damned cool!

martinxyz
    Free Member

The colds not a problem if you want to do this sort of thing.

flip
    Free Member

Surfers can surf both ways down the lake so you never miss a wave.

Looks ace but how does that work then?

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Its not in the the land of the Hobbits (Shire) which is in Bristol but much closer to Seamills.

Hopefully it will get off the ground

jam-bo

Looks ace but how does that work then?

As I understand it, it drags a sled under the water that forms the wave.

Ace, It might not attract the casual punter in February but most people who are into surfing things (kayakers, surfers, body boarder etc. wouldn’t be put off by it being a bit chilly). I used to kayak surf in Tynemouth when the rivers froze in winter.

Sea gets to about 10 degrees at its coldest in the west country, lakes freeze…

headfirst
    Free Member

jam bo, I don’t think its a sled, I’m pretty sure its like a normal wave pool: hydraulic pumps and careful design of the ‘seabed’, have you watched the video I linked too?

I’d imagine this will get much more use during our generally flat summers, rather than the winter

jam-bo

Yup. Watched it months back when it first appeared. I’m pretty certain is a sled, there is nothing At the other end of the lake.

Looks fun, but I guess the MTB equivalent of a pump track…

wavegarden
    Free Member

Hi guys,

I’m one of the guys bringing this to Bristol. Happy to answer many questions on it. I can confirm…a sled running along a track enclosed for safety. It is as good as the real thing and look out for a new Vid. in the next few weeks with the WCT pros shredding it. I hasten to add that the one we are planning will be three times as long and lefts and rights. We are looking at renewal energy return and ground source to keep the chill off in winter. Cutting edge we hope. Thanks for the interest. Wavegarden Uk Team.

jam-bo

Gotta love google alerts.

Good luck.

Pauly

Best of luck with this! Looks great.

redthunder
    Free Member

@wavegarden

Where in Shire is it exactly planned ?

BArracks LAne ?

I’ll give it a go as I live nearby.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’m guessing it will be built on the old Bristol and West playing fields on the Portway.

andy_hamgreen

looks great – good luck

we don’t want no tsunamis down Pill way mind – may stir up the old wrecks in the creek there….

5lab

looks awesome 🙂 had a quick ride up the severn bore this year, but I suspect this is somewhat cleaner..

Will you be restricting numbers to avoid crowds?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Interesting – Surfing Wavegraden in Bristol’ is closed to new replies.