Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Upsetting delicate Roadie aesthetics
  • binners

Needs must, I’m afraid

Got my new (to me) road bike and was going to take it out for its first run out today. I had a look for a set of pedals to put on it and all I had was these, that were meant to be going on the full susser but I hadn’t got round to fitting yet.

I think a bit of additional GNNNNNARRRRRRRR to the bike looks great. I’m heading out shortly in baggies, camelbak and peaked helmet to wave cheerily at any other roadies out there 😀

akira

Paving needs a tidy up.

IHN

If you’ve got the bike set up right, the peaked helmet will give you neck ache.

And why do you need a camelback when there’s a bottle cage on the frame?

kilo

And why do you need a camelback when there’s a bottle cage on the frame?

Pies probably;)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

*Faints*

IHN

Of course, pies in the bag, gravy in the bladder 🙂

dovebiker

Of course, pies in the bag, gravy in the bladder 🙂

And chips on the shoulder? 😉

mogrim

Baggies are crap on a road bike, but if it makes you happy…

matt_outandabout

I’m rocking baggies, flats and peak on road at the moment…

binners

The country is suffering enough. It doesn’t deserve to see me in lycra. Nobody deserves that!

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’m heading out shortly in baggies, camelbak and peaked helmet to wave cheerily at any other roadies out there

You can’t wave to “other roadies” as you are not a roadie. You are a mountain biker on a road bike and will be ignored as you deserve to be.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

**** roadies. Enjoy.

tomhoward

Pfft, matching pedals are for sheeple…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iHRF1h]Untitled[/url] by tom.howard.562, on Flickr

Yes, I’m in my PJs. No, I don’t care.

jam-bo

don’t try cornering too fast. you might get a surprise…

ps. roadies don’t wave. ever.

binners

Nice socks Tom

JoB
    Free Member

phew, in light of the current situation i thought we might miss the weekly mountainbiker thinking they’re going to upset “roadies” by going out in flat pedals, baggies, peaked helmet and Camelbak but it’s good to see the 25 year run remain unbroken 🙂

binners

Happy to help Jo 😀

DezB
    Free Member

If you’ve got the bike set up right, the peaked helmet will give you neck ache.

Hilarious! The peak doesn’t hang down any further just cos you’re on a road bike!
    Someone will tell you a Camelbak will bump the back of your head on the descents in a minute 😆

I love these same old discussions we’ve been having since the forum was born. 😀

[edit]Ooh there he is! 😆 !

doris5000

i love flat pedals on a road bike. My studio partner has some good old DX flatties on mint green Bianchi. It looks sick 😀

lunge

That’s Ok, as I will offset your work Binners by going out on my MTB in full Lycra.
    I’ll do this as, no matter what you may pretend, Lycra is the right tool for cycling and makes it all the more comfortable.
    And seriously, a CamelBack? Bottle in the cage, tools in a saddle bag, others in jersey pockets. Easy.

pocpoc
    Free Member

If you wear big enough shoes then no one will see your pedals.
    If they can then they’re too close to you and need to be arrested for not social distancing!

midlifecrashes

Went out yesterday for my coronaride in full Yorkshire PPE, woollen tank top, flat cap and neckerchief. Pie and bottle of beer in the Carradice, naturally.

RustySpanner

mogrim
    Baggies are crap on a road bike, but if it makes you flappy…

homerun
    Free Member

Hilarious! The peak doesn’t hang down any further just cos you’re on a road bike!

If you’ve got the riding position set up like your mtb then having a peak doesn’t make a difference. But once I’m in the drops the peak on my mtb helmet completely blocks my vision with my head in a comfortable position. Straining my neck to look down the road isn’t hilarious.
    Try both Op, see what works for you.

boblo
    Free Member

Never mind Tom’s socks, he’s wearing pyjamas!! Dunt he know that was an old thread, weeks, ago?

ayjaydoubleyou

depends on the shorts – I assume baggies (a term I hate) means anything that isnt skin tight lycra shorts or bibs?

I imagine the MC hammer fit, thicker than a sailcloth, below the knee shorts with 10 pockets that some people seem to love might be a tad irritating on a road bike. Shorts that actually fit, while at the same time not revealing the shape of your manhood, are perfectly fine.

tjagain

I believe the “burst sausage” look is actually illegal now. I think even when we are in lockdown not only would binners be arrested but anyone who encouraged him to wear lycra is due a large fine as well

DezB
    Free Member

<>

duncancallum

I have the peak pushed all the way up as otherwise I can only see 15ft unless I strain my neck.

Ps baggies n a fox top for the win

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Superstar Nano Mags on my beastette until I decide what clipless sytem to use.
    My Mt Zoom Ultralight post is likely to give some folks a push over the edge…

post-1

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

depends on the shorts – I assume baggies (a term I hate)

This. Anyone who buys ‘baggies’ just doesn’t understand fitted clothing, or are fat bastards, and resort to fat man dresses*

*Courtesy of Homer J Simpson

ta11pau1

You can’t wave to “other roadies” as you are not a roadie. You are a mountain biker on a road bike and will be ignored as you deserve to be.

Problem being a mountain biker on a gravel bike, even in peaked helmet and baggies, with knobbly tyres, you get ignored by other mountain bikers too who think you’re a roadie.

Gravel bikes: Limbo.

didnthurt

I hired a Colnago carbon road bike in Majorca a couple of years a go, I had no cycling kit with me so rode it wearing a cotton t-shirt, baggy shorts and flat pedals with trainers. The few roadies/triathletes I passed on the climbs didn’t seem amused. I got ignored by everyone bar the cafe waitress. True about cornering though, I had a couple of pedal strikes but nothing serious but could have been.

philjunior
    Free Member

If you’ve got the riding position set up like your mtb then having a peak doesn’t make a difference. But once I’m in the drops the peak on my mtb helmet completely blocks my vision with my head in a comfortable position. Straining my neck to look down the road isn’t hilarious.
    Try both Op, see what works for you.

This, even the fairly relaxed position on my commuter the peak did nothing but add a bit of neck strain to proceedings.

Riding on road isn’t fun, it’s not meant to be, but flat pedals to catch around corners, baggies to ruin the silence, and flap about slowing you down, a peak to give you a sore neck or bring you up into a sail like position, and a camelbak to give you a sore lower back are not enhancements, that’s why roadies don’t generally use them (I know a couple who use flats due to dodgy knees but that’s it).

OK OP, you’ve got those pedals kicking about, I’d do the same, but try it without the baggies, with a bottle and maybe a tool in your back pocket rather than a camelbak, and with the peak taken off your helmet, and it’ll be faster and less unpleasant.

kerley
    Free Member

Riding on road isn’t fun

Rubbish, I love riding on the road. In fact I love riding on any surface, I just like riding bikes.

mashr

I passed on the climbs didn’t seem amused.

Would they have been amused if you were in Lycra?

roger_mellie

Problem being a mountain biker on a gravel bike, even in peaked helmet and baggies, with knobbly tyres, you get ignored by other mountain bikers too who think you’re a roadie.

Gravel bikes: Limbo.

I do my bit to counter this by waving* to anyone on a bike when I’m out on the road, regardless of what they’re riding or wearing.

*raise my fingers off the bar and give a barely perceptible nod of my head.

kcr
    Free Member

Riding on road isn’t fun, it’s not meant to be

The few roadies/triathletes I passed on the climbs didn’t seem amused

rocking baggies, flats and peak on road

roadies don’t wave. ever.

House! (STW cliche bingo)

brads
    Free Member

Those pedals are a disgrace to cycling and you should be shot, just as if you have disc brakes on your best road bike.

🙂

jamesoz

flat pedals to catch around corners,

If you corner while pedaling or inside foot down.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Upsetting delicate Roadie aesthetics’ is closed to new replies.