Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Upgrading Cross bike to hydro brakes (PM 1×10)
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

I have a Cotic X which I like alot, it has discs, tubeless and a dropper and is a very versatile, fun bike. I’ve got a set of road wheels and a set of off road, both 10 speed.

The only thing letting it down is the brakes, they are TRP Spyres and I’m just tired of the constant messing around with them, adjusting pads, changing cables, freeing up pivots etc, all to get some pretty poor performance when hydraulics are now widely available.

The issue is I’m on 10 speed and would rather not have to change the mech and both cassettes as well. I know Tiagra now has a set of 2×10 brakes & shifters but they are flat mount and my frame is IS mount, which is convertible to flat mount for 160mm rotors plus but the frame will only take a 140 rotor, so I’m constrained to PM calipers

The only way I can see to do this is to buy some Tiagra shifters and then fit calipers myself, either the Hope ones or some XT 785s. Am I missing something? Is there a way around this at all?

The obvious thing is to use this as a justification to buy a new bike but I’d rather play that card next year for a new MTB (hoping Transition release a carbon smuggler with some decent tyree clearance)

Thanks for any help!

toby

Hope V-Twin? I realise that there’s still a short length of cable, but mine have been almost entirely faff-free once set up.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There are post to flat addapters available. Might take a bit of digging arround the shops on google but should be possible to find a set. Then you can just use the flat mount callipers.

Or left field option, gevenalle shifters on trp hylex brakes. Not cheaper but some people really like them and the shifter is upgradeable seperately to 11s, or di2 if you want to upgrade in the future.

Garry_Lager

You’ve got the correct approach with the spyres – launch them into the outer darkness.

For the hydraulics – you can get some 11sp shimano postmount brakes (sti shifter + calipers) from merlin for sub 250 atm if you can mix and match a bit, but the double chainset might be restrictive here. I was looking myself last night for a 1×11, meaning any left hand shifter will work, and there was stuff available for great prices.
    Add cassette and 105 derailleur and you’re at £300 so I see the dilemma – you could prob get a new/old cx bike with hydraulic brakes for 7 or 800, less if you’re looking secondhand.

TiRed

I’d second the Gevenalle Hylex route. Take the opportunity to go 1×10 as well. You buy the brakes and then the shifters from them and swap the shifting unit which mounts to the brake lever. For a modest outlay you could go 1×11 if your hub would take the cassette with their BURD RD, which I also run.

I run 1×9 with their HUUP spacer and no 11T. It’s really nice and robust on the trails. For road I swap to an 11-23 10 speed wheelset.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, Gevenalle looks good, as does v twin, it’s still a fair bit of cost but I want to keep the bike so may go with one of those

Anyone tried the Giant Conduct? Seems like a cheaper v twin, I wouldn’t expect it to be too bad as they spec it on their bikes

tpbiker
    Free Member

Trp hryd are available 50 quid an end at decathlon if that’s an option.

john_l
    Free Member

I’m selling some 11spd Ultegra hydro STIs/calipers in the classifieds. Good condition.

Will your hubs take an 11spd cassette? Shimano do an 11-34 11spd that’ll fit a 10 spd freehub (also got a spare of those).

chrishc777
    Free Member

I have looked at the HyRd but most of my issue is with sticky cables and springs not returning and they don’t fix that, if I’m going hybrid I’d try the Conduct first

I’ll have a look at your ad John, I did see them but thought it was levers only

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

SRAM S700 are 10 speed hydraulic STIs with post mount calipers. Often come up on ebay cheap. You’d need a new sram rear 10 speed mech too (lots around), but the front should work.

Daffy

Assuming it fits, just run a 160mm rotor instead.

I ran 180mm rotors on my CDF for a while without any issues.

cookeaa

My choice would also be Gevenalle’s Hylex adaptation, mainly because you can always change the shifter at a later date should you decide you want moar clicks…

Note: They’re also doing 12 speed Shimano/SRAM MTB compatible versions now, which cost about the same as the 10 or 11 speed option (plus new mech/cassette/chain of course)…

dove1

I am selling 105 levers and mechs along with a Giant Conduct set up in the Classifieds.

edit: just reread your original post where you said you need PM callipers. The ones I have are flat mount. 🙁

maxlite
    Free Member

Im still running these on 2 bikes…cable operated and sealed hydraulic units and there PM. Thought I had a stuck calliper a while ago, but it turned out to be the cable!! Never had a problem with them

https://www.edgesportsuk.com/store/juin-tech-r1-hydraulic-cable-pull-disc-brake-set-cyclocross.html

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Upgrading Cross bike to hydro brakes (PM 1×10)’ is closed to new replies.