• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by toby1.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Up my barbeque game veg edition.
  • joshvegas
    Free Member

There will always be a place for my meat on the barbeque.

But veg is also baller so short of a veg skewer to disperse in a flatbread with lamb or corn on the cob. Who has a sure fire winner.

Sides or main events who has winner veg dinners.

#ijustfiredupmyweberforthefirsttime

tuboflard

Asparagus griddles really well so should work well on a barbecue too. And not veg but halloumi is a bit of a winner too.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Yep halloumi is an honourary meat in my book.

Asparagus is good aslong as you get it on full heat of its a bit mushy i find.

Portobello’s with cheese etc on top is pretty epic too

maccruiskeen

Asparagus griddles really well so should work well on a barbecue too

Squeeze lemon over the asparagus just before you take it off the bbq and its nice and hot so the the juice glazes it

BigJohn
      Asparagus is good, but don’t waste the big fat ones. Skinny ones only. Peppers, red by preference, are great. Let them collapse, scrape off the skin and they’re nectar. Fennel and chickory (blanched first) can be good.
      I love sliced aubergine and courgette too.
    maccruiskeen

Portobello – snap off the stalk and chop it up with garlic and parsley and pop it back in the gill side – BBQ gill side up and let the oil and garlic sink through. Stick it in a roll with a bit of dijon mustard.

Joe

I’m mainly veggie these days and my SO all the time…but for a BBQ, veg just doesn’t have the same effect, doesn’t taste that great and is a little mleugh.

We’ve tried loads of stuff and its always slightly underwhelming. The bbq never spits and sizzles like it does with meat either…its easier just cooking inside.

My only thing i really love is sainsbury’s shroom-dogs which are the best veggie sausage i’ve ever tasted!

llama

Asparagus, but wrapped in bacon (seriously)

ransos
    Free Member

Halve little gems, season and oil, griddle until charred. Grate parmesan over and serve.

myti
    Free Member

Quarter an aubergine length ways. Lightly spread the flesh side with miso paste, spray with oil and bbq till soft and charred 😋

thecrookofdevon

It is all about the marinade. Slice aubergine about 5mm thick. Courgettes the same. Peppers however. Portobello mushrooms whole. Chuck them in a container with generous amounts of olive oil, Dijon mustard, capers, garlic, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Then leave all day. Barbecue and serve with coleslaw and tattiesalad. Perfect!

DrP

I’ve a little weber gas bbq, that I swapped one of the grill plates for a flat cast iron plate.

makes cooking veg sick as garlic mushrooms real easy..

you MIGHT think it’s just frying, but there’ssomething about the bbq that adds loads of flavour..

maybe get an iron plate?

also, corn on the cob.. raw, broody with oil, s&p, and grill over high heat.. lush..
    DrP

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Big slices of courgette cut on the angle and brushed with garlic oil, awesome. Served on a slice of chargrilled sourdough, and torn fresh mozzarella and fresh basil, oomph!

Gotama
    Free Member

Charred by Genevieve Taylor is very good for veggie stuff on the bbq.

thethief

this is probably a bit more main event, as it’s super filling, but the DJ BBQ Tomato pie is one of the best things I’ve ever cooked on the BBQ.

bigblackshed

Taters.

Small potatoes, par boil them, not too much else they fall apart, coat with oil of choice, preferably something that will take the high heat of the BBQ, heat one of these on the grill for 5 minutes.

8-FEF32-CE-238-A-42-C3-81-EF-740-EC573416-A

Move the potatoes around every few minutes.

maccruiskeen

BBQs are always missing a dessert course and if you’re using charcoal theres always loads of heat left after everyone’s stuffed their face with meat and bread.

I do this Jamie Oliver grilled strawberry and pimms recipe but rather than under a grill I do it in a frying pan over the BBQ

https://reciperetreat.weebly.com/recipes/grilled-strawberries-with-pimms-vanilla-ice-cream

welshfarmer

Is game veg the sort you need to track down first, and then sneak up on before shooting it and preparing it on the spot before slinging on the barbie? Probably taste much better than farmed veg to be fair. Good call.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Wipe the juice from the first cut under your eyes and drink the rest.

Last time i hunt onions.

maccruiskeen

ive never hunted onions but I have Poached Pears

IHN

Foil tray, into which you throw chunky chopped peppers/onions/diced carrots/diced parsnips/anything roastable, olive oil, three or four bashed garlic gloves and seasoning. Bung it on the grill (ideally to the side/away from the main heat), close lid of BBQ. Smoky garlicy roast veg ahoy.

blokeuptheroad

In the dying embers, bananas split down the middle, stuffed with the chocolate of your choice, wrap in foil and BBQ until melted and squishy (culinary term). Serve with whipped double cream and a drizzle of maple syrup.

ts4or5
    Free Member

< singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/up-my-barbeque-game-veg-edition/#post-11179652 >

Bravo maccruisken!

toby1

Smoked Garlic. Smoked Onions.

Butternut squash works well too, either quartered and cooked indirect for a long time. Or opened up and stuffed and again cooked for a long time, use a skewer to tell when it’s softened up.

I char up loads of peppers (keep the skin though, not like above), courgettes, Aubs and maybe mushrooms, then make a veggie lasagne with it along with some grated sweet potato.

I’ve made tomato pie before too, but was underwhelmed.

I buy halloumi by the box load from a local seller, bloody lovely stuff fresh off the grill!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Up my barbeque game veg edition.’ is closed to new replies.