Home Forums Bike Forum Unite cranks

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Unite cranks
  • ogden
    Free Member

Have these lot gone tits upas well? Socials seem to be dead for ages now.

poah
    Free Member

They have apparently moved back to their original premises.  Can only guess putting their prices up hugely and swapping to the shit cerakote hurt their sales.  I got some of their stuff when they were cheaper.  Wouldn’t touch them now.

bikesandboots

Well designed and made anodised pedals £70 yes please two years ago, same pedal in Cerakote for £150 no thanks.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Bit of a resurrection but I’ve had a set of their cranks arrive today. 160mm in the raw finish and they look…… superb! One question, how do I fit them? Nothing on their website and I’ve only ever run Shimano HT2 cranks since square taper died. Looks like the ring attaches to one arm and the other arm has a kind of lock ring – assume to take up slack in the system?

So do I just do the 10mm bolt up both sides to 50nm as it says (or just really hard) and then use the lock ring to take up any slack???

honourablegeorge

Never used a Unite crank, but the above is the procedure for raceface/hope/SRAm and lots of other similar cranks

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cheers – just checked Hope’s site and thankfully they have instructions. Worried it seemed almost too straightforward and that I was missing something.

Unite – put some instructions on your site!

bikesandboots

Ask them, to be sure? They made them and you paid them money, it’s a basic expectation really and you want to be confident that you’re not going to break them while fitting and they’re not going to come off mid-ride.

crankrider
    Free Member

Is the raw finish actually raw alloy or clear cerakote?

If it’s a clear coat it will be interesting to see how they hold up, clears over raw alloy are notoriously bad at holding up to scratches etc, if you break through the coating the aluminium quickly oxides and spreads underneath, maybe cerakote will be more durable but they have started to machine the faces off the pedals for a reason.

They do look nice in clear, but anodise is such a better choice.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its properly raw – no finish. But then neither does my frame so great match!

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.