Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Unicycle
  • Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I’m not sure which forum this goes in but its Christmas too – am thinking of getting a unicycle for my 15 year old for Christmas – where do I start and what’s any good?

Height about 5ft 9 if that makes a difference

nickjb
    Free Member

20″ wheel is the easiest to learn on. There are a range of unicycling activities such as muni (off road), trials (what the kids are into) and road riding which require bigger wheels or fat knobbly tyres but the basic 20″ is a good place to start. If he gets into it then the n+1 factor is bigger than it is for bikes! Unicycle.com is a good place to start for buying. You pay for better quality. Anything with an isis axle will be good. A square taper will be fine for learning but might be a bit weak for heavy use.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Thanks Nickjb 🙂

jekkyl

Don’t forget the red nose and rainbow wig 😆

nickjb
    Free Member

Valid point. He’ll need to get used to a stream of repeated, predictable jokes.

giantalkali
    Free Member

What will he do when a car won’t give way?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What will he do when a car won’t give way?

He’ll have to ‘idle’ apparently.

giantalkali
    Free Member

I’ve turned idling into a sport

phiiiiil

Should be easy for a 15 year old 🙂

(More seriously, idling is useful, but far easier and more practical when you get the hang of it is tiny little hops to stay in one place; you’re not wobbling back and forth and you’re ready to move at any time, not just when you’re in the “going forwards” bit of the idle. IMHO)

antigee

ones with rounded tops to the forks are no good for some tricks (not that it bothers me) would also budget for some decent pedals as in mtb flats rather than what comes and possibly wrist protection*

*don’t want to start a debate

http://krisholm.com/ a guru and a quick look at the state of the art kit might give some ideas of what is important when looking

edit and as nickjb said

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Unicycle’ is closed to new replies.