Viewing 40 posts - 15,801 through 15,840 (of 18,862 total)
  • Ukraine
  • nixie

just a thought: if the US control the worlds GPS satellites can’t they deny Russia use of them?

As the above (link to Glonass) the American GPS system is only one of at least 4 systems, 3 of which are global. If they degraded accuracy in Ukraine it would also affect Ukrainian usage. And as further above weapons systems also use other navigation techniques.

dissonance

just a thought: if the US control the worlds GPS satellites can’t they deny Russia use of them?

Not really.
    The US did use to broadcast two versions of gps. An encrypted version for military devices and then a general channel for everyone else. So at that time they could degrade the civilian version whilst keeping theirs accurate.
    It got discontinued for three reasons.
    Firstly it could be countered by cross referencing devices.
    Secondly back in the first gulf war the US and allies didnt have many gps devices and so people went out buying their own civilian versions. The authorities concluded it would hurt them more than the Iraqis to disable the devices.
    Thirdly everyone had got used to using it and the inaccuracies were problematic for multiple commercial uses including aviation so they pushed for it to be removed.

Caher

Oh well. Thanks all just a thought.

shermer75
    Free Member

Reports of drone attacks hitting civilian targets in Moscow

matt_outandabout

Hmmm.

The Ukrainian’s don’t seem to go for civilian attacks of minimal military advantage. Never say never, but….

…seems more likely is internal stress or some ‘freelance’ like the incursion at the Russian border last week.

blokeuptheroad

This Twitter thread suggests that the drones can be positively identified as a type known to be developed by Ukraine.

I’m not sure of the utility of this from a Ukrainian perspective, other than a desire to hit back in frustration after being on the receiving end of similar for so long. Vengeance not strategy.

If they were all targeted at military facilities, then fair enough, but with so many fired at Moscow, even those directed at ‘legit’ targets can go astray or fall on residential areas after being hit by air defences.  As with attacks on Kyiv in reverse, it will only serve to harden Russian resolve and support for Putin. Not a good look imo Ukraine.

matt_outandabout

This Twitter thread suggests that the drones can be positively identified as a type known to be developed by Ukraine.

Moscow City Officials have announced

We do need more information than a Russian voice…?

blokeuptheroad

If you read the whole thread, OSINT defender who has been a reliable commentator throughout this conflict makes the link. Ukrainian long range UAV called ‘Beaver’. Not 100% confirmed, but starting to look quite likely.

matt_outandabout

Ah, I stand corrected…

kimbers

I suppose what it does do is tell Ukraine we here russian air defence is located

timba
    Free Member

If it is a Ukrainian attack (and they don’t generally confirm anything outside their borders) then it could be a response to Moscow moving S400 missiles to Belarus this week to join other batteries already there
    It might force movement of AA batteries to Moscow as part of the “shaping” phase, Donetsk to Moscow is about 500 miles

greyspoke
    Free Member

If that Osint guy can be 100% sure based on those photos then I cannot be 100% sure of his opinions.

martinhutch

My money would be on false flag ahead of full Russian mobilisation announcement. Putin has form for this kind of shit. There is no value to Ukraine in attacking Moscow, even in a symbolic way, and certainly not civilian targets, as it potentially weakens support from the West.

nickc

a Home Office spokesman says it’s an issue that is ‘too sensitive to say’

Like many things in Russia, their cyber attack ability seems to be built on rumour, gossip, lies and innuendo. I think we’ve (the west) have been told that the online efforts during the 2016 US election and Brexit revealed Russia to have this amazing ability to launch cyber attacks at who they want, when they want with more or less total impunity, and I’m left wondering that when it matters most – like in an an actual shooting war, the whole thing (like the Russian air force) seems to have gone missing in action. Perhaps it’s not aimed at me – my online presence is pretty limited after all, but taken as a whole, and especially after we’ve been told how effective it’s supposed to be, it’s all a bit “mleh”.

TL:DR I’d be genuinely surprised if it’s Russians

nickc

There is no value to Ukraine in attacking Moscow, even in a symbolic way

I don’t think that’s right. You only have to look at the effects that the early retaliatory raids launched at Berlin in 1940, or the Doolittle raids to Tokyo to see the effects on both sides that these sorts of even “propagandistic” raids have. Especially in Russia where information about the war in Ukraine is so very tightly controlled, I imagine that drone attacks in Moscow cause Putin’s regime any number of headaches.

piemonster

Or they could just be wanting to fix Russian AD around Moscow and prevent deployment to Ukraine.

martinhutch

If a load of propeller-driven drones can reach that far, they have either evaded multiple layers of air defence, or that air defence does not exist. If it’s not a false flag, do they actually have anything to re-deploy?

I still can’t see the value of attacking civilian targets in Moscow. It’s the sort of thing that can be used to harden the civilian attitude in support of war, rather than undermining it. IIRC, the Doolittle raids provoked an absolute slaughter within China.

stevedoc
    Free Member

False flag by Russia again no doubts, that Power station in Ukraine is on borrowed time I fear.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If a load of propeller-driven drones can reach that far, they have either evaded multiple layers of air defence, or that air defence does not exist.

Seems like the best evidence? How would they have got there? Are they being launched from inside Russia?

Basing them on what they look like could be flimsy, I’m sure any hobbyist RC plane builder could come up with something that “looked like” that Ukranian drone in a couple of days.

nickc

If a load of propeller-driven drones can reach that far, they have either evaded multiple layers of air defence, or that air defence does not exist.

The types of drones that landed in Moscow were launched in Russia, they have a range of 200km max, and probs a lot less, and the Ukraine border is over 450km away, there’s no way these are coming that far, as you say, even if they they fly low and have a v. small radar return they’d still get picked up at some point.

FB-ATB

If a load of propeller-driven drones can reach that far, they have either evaded multiple layers of air defence, or that air defence does not exist

In the eighties, didn’t a German teenager fly a small aircraft from Germany & land in Red Square?

nickc

Yep, although even those wee airplanes carry vastly more fuel than the sorts of drones that are turning up in pictures flying over Moscow.

blokeuptheroad

The types of drones that landed in Moscow were launched in Russia, they have a range of 200km max, and probs a lot less, and the Ukraine border is over 450km away, there’s no way these are coming that far, as you say, even if they they fly low and have a v. small radar return they’d still get picked up at some point.

From the multiple phone video clips appearing from Moscow, it looks like there were at least two types of UAV used.  One with a canard and prop to the rear like the ‘Beaver’ mentioned earlier (not sure now it is one of those – but a similar-ish rear prop canard wing design). I haven’t been able to find any range or other specs for that. Also a UAV with a more conventional appearance like a scaled down GA light aircraft with the prop at the front. This looks like the Ukrainian UJ-22.  The UJ-22 has 2 modes – controlled flight to drop munitions then return – max range 100km and autonomous GPS controlled flight – 800km (one way).  These range figures are from the manufacturer’s website.

Video clip of canard type drone:

Video clip of possible UJ-22 type drone:

https://twitter.com/theinformantofc/status/1663425408467861504?s=20

singletrackmind

Not buying it
    One picture looks like a modern, futuristic sleek airborne uav
    The other pictures, a beat up 1980s Cessna 152.

blokeuptheroad

Not buying it
    One picture looks like a modern, futuristic sleek airborne uav

An airborne UAV? Is there any other kind? 😁  Whilst the likes of multi-million dollar US Predator and Reaper drones might look ‘sleek’ and ‘futuristic’ that’s not the case for many of the new crop of low cost drones.

The other pictures, a beat up 1980s Cessna 152.

That’s what a lot of military UAVs look like.  Many of them are substantially made of cardboard, delivered in kit form and powered by small, noisy, 2 stroke engines.  They have a low radar signature and fly too slowly for a lot of modern surface to air missiles to deal with.  That is why the older technology of anti aircraft artillery is getting a new lease of life.

FB-ATB

strange how all these people happened to be filming & caught sight of the drone

blokeuptheroad

strange how all these people happened to be filming & caught sight of the drone

Is it? 20 or 30 noisy, slow flying drones over a city of 12 million people, most of whom presumably have camera smart phones?  There are dozens, maybe hundreds of these clips.

nickc

autonomous GPS controlled flight – 800km (one way)

Ah, cool, thanks for the info @blokeuptheroad, I didn’t know the Ukrainians had access to drone with that sort of range, good to know 👍

argee

Will wait and see some evidence, seems like a UAV with little information about it, which is low flying and slow, and made it’s way several hundred miles across Russian airspace before being taken down over Moscow.

I just don’t see what gain Ukraine get out of this, they are surviving off aid that’s centred around defending Ukraine, not striking Russia, especially Russian civilians, which either means it’s a massive fumble by Ukraine, or a false flag by Russia.

kimbers

Funny see how it’s a fumble, they’ve know used western/nato equipment and it’s caused chaos in Moscow, notably going near the upmarket oligarch residences.
    Piggorzhin has gone nuts about it and Putin’s ‘definitely not a war’ isn’t the 3day SMO he promised

shermer75
    Free Member

I agree with the above comments, unlikely something sanctioned by those in command, much more likely to be a smaller splinter group acting in what they believe to be there own interests. We’ll know if it’s a false flag if Russia uses it as a pretext for an escalation, for example a new round of mobilisation etc

doris5000

Not drone related in particular, but I consider that @sentdefender person to be a very unreliable source!

Lots of rumour, absurd sensationalism and speculation mixed in with the legit stuff, it seems to me

Caher

Hopefully not a false flag to justify openly attacking Ukrainian population centres in Kiev.

DT78
    Free Member

they are already doing that. the next escalation from Russia will be far worse

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m not convinced Russia has the capacity to escalate, reports seem to suggest that Russia is using munitions as quickly as it can make them. Beyond nuclear there’s not much left on the shelf. And if Putin was prepared to go that far I think he would have already. You can’t bluff and then not follow it through when it’s called.

piemonster

Not drone related in particular, but I consider that @sentdefender person to be a very unreliable source!

Presuming osintdefender, if so I agree not great.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Hopefully not a false flag to justify openly attacking Ukrainian population centres in Kiev.

where have you been since Feb 2022???? 🤦🏻‍♂️

oldnpastit

It’s like WWII with the old V1 buzz bombs.

My mum used to tell me about them – she was quite young at the time and did not really know where Germany was, and since no one told her, assumed it was somewhere near Romford. Don’t ask me why Romford, and I can’t ask her now.

pk13

Harrowing piece on the BBC news about the abduction of Ukraine children. I knew it was happening but the looks on those toddlers faces when meeting their new “familys.”

Sick regime .

Viewing 40 posts - 15,801 through 15,840 (of 18,862 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.