• This topic has 18,578 replies, 525 voices, and was last updated 11 hours ago by alpin.
Viewing 40 posts - 15,761 through 15,800 (of 18,579 total)
  • Ukraine
  • hatter

UAF really targeting RU artillery – 40 destroyed/captured yesterday alone!

Even if those numbers are inflated that’s still good going.

The fact that Ukraine is putting their precious aircraft at risk by targeting artillery, targets that absolutely will have air defense near them and will be placed well behind the front line, therefore necessitating a deeper, more risky strike suggests 2 things:

1: The promise of Mig-29’s and possibly F16’s from the West is already giving Ukraine more operational freedom as they have more air assets inbound to replace their no doubt very very tired and battered existing fleet.

2: The counter offensive is close, very close. Big preemptive air strikes on Artillery positions is textbook ‘what you do just before a big push’

Of course Ukraine have repeatedly shown that they march entirely to beat of their own drum and made me look like an idiot with my predictions so we’ll see.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Someone described it as, bomb, bomb, then bomb again, then attack.

The first bombing step is suppressing the long range air defenses so that planes can operate within range of the front line and can move onto:
    The 2nd bombing step is taking out short range air defenses which clears the way for them to fly over it.
    The 3rd bombing step is clearing a path for and offering support to the army.

I guess perhaps it’s taking longer than expected because the Russians might also be using the dry ground to maneuver, meaning any bombing / shaping done 6 weeks ago becomes less relavent?

funkrodent

The (mis)information around what is/isn’t happening in Belgorod is fascinating. Russians are saying the incursion has been repelled and that 70+ turrrists have been killed. Also that American kit was used. And that some of their transport had ‘For Bakhmut’ scrawled on it.

To back this up they’ve published pictures of a row of dead bodies, some humvees in ditches and a burned out truck with writing on it.

the Ukrainians are saying that the dead bodies are wearing the wrong kit, that the humvees look remarkably unscathed for a vehicle that’s just been blown into a ditch and that the writing on the truck was either painted on afterwards or photoshopped as it is was to shiny and new to have been there before the truck went boom!

who to believe…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Definitely the Russians 🤷‍♂️

thols2

I think this is a fairly plausible theory.

DT78
    Free Member

thats what I said up there 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

This guy reckons they returned. All usual caveats apply etc

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Wash rinse repeat. Keep the Russians unstable, get them to commit more and more forces to protect their borders.

martinhutch

Russia really needs to get a grip on its smoking problem.

Seems to be some kind of weird ‘smokescreen’ exercise. Hint: I can still tell where the bridge is, and I’m guessing modern Ukrainian munitions can tell as well.

dantsw13

Challenger 2 vs Dragons teeth & tank trenches…..

edward2000
    Free Member
    Andy

True or false?

True, from what I have read. Bakhmut for Prigozhin was only ever about scoring a victory to further his own standing among the Oligarchs, with a future eye on the Presidency when Putin is removed. Now thats done, what I have read is he wants to transfer all his remaining experienced “fighters” to Africa, particularly Sudan, where he makes his money. The rumour is the remaining convicts will be transferred into the Russian MOD to continue to be Cannon Fodder.

I suspect Prigozhin will be quite happy to see Russia fail as this will help his ambitions.

avdave2

True, he knows they don’t have total control, he knows they are going to lose it, he knows that whoever is defending it won’t be allowed to retreat, he knows that whoever stays dies, he knows the greater the destruction of the Russian army the easier his coupe will be

tthew

From that BBC article…

BBC Verify has geolocated the video to an area near a pharmacy in the east of Bakhmut.

What a shame the UA couldn’t have had access to this information and bombed the shit out of the location!

DT78
    Free Member

I think he is deliberately not being targetted

hatter

I think he is deliberately not being targeted

We won’t know the truth of this until well after the dust has settled but his running beef with Russian command and the way he’s made himself a hero to patriotic Russians and making himself hard to dispose of in he meantime means he’s a uniquely knotty headache for the Kremlin.

He’s also clearly positioning himself for who/whatever comes after Putin.

Caher

Probably suits Putin to have his senior command a little divided.

kimbers

So yesterday Russia said they repelled a drone bot attack in the Bosphorus straight

but turns out they maybe didnt

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1661724151520849920

DT78
    Free Member

why would you use those drones to attack in broad daylight like that? surely it would be better to use at night to make defending against them much harder. They move alot slower than I was expecting in those vids.

Northwind

I think they’re remote controlled so darkness could be a bigger disadvantage for the “pilot” than it is for the target, especially once you add in distance. Likewise speed’s got to be a plus and minus thing, getting in fast obviously a positive but that last wee turn to place it right at the stern looked very intentional and stuff like that’d be much harder with more speed. Looks a lot like they’re trying to place it alongside rather than just simply ramming.

timba
    Free Member

I read something this morning that suggested that the video of the boat being destroyed was old video from a joint exercise off Africa
    I’ll see if I can find a link

shermer75
    Free Member

Probably suits Putin to have his senior command a little divided.

Very much so

piemonster

Well, I suppose someone was bound to compile a list

(No, ive not checked them all)

timba
    Free Member

(No, ive not checked them all)

Me neither, but there are a couple more; in March “President Vladimir Putin has said Russia would be “forced to react” if the UK sent shells made with depleted uranium to Ukraine.
    He accused the West of deploying weapons with a “nuclear component”.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65032671 (The clue is in the name, “depleted”, and they are packaged with Challenger 2)

From yesterday, “Ukraine says Russia plans to simulate accident at nuclear power plant”
    https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-says-russia-plans-simulate-accident-nuclear-power-plant-2023-05-26/

timba
    Free Member

Aggregating various Twitter feeds it would seem that the Ivan Khurs was at least damaged

The simplest reports have been attributed to Igor Girkin aka Strelkov on Telegram and another that a fully seaworthy Ivan Khurs couldn’t have sailed into port within the timeframe stated in Russian media

Here is the Drive.com story… https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/drone-boat-attack-on-russian-ship-in-black-sea-story-keeps-getting-weirder

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I’ve seen a photo of the damage on one of the YouTube channels, sorry can’t remember which one

matt_outandabout

I’ve seen a photo of the damage on one of the YouTube channels, sorry can’t remember which one

A quick look just now shows a huge number of false claims and old or photoshopped images. There’s three ships of the same design apparently, two based in Sevastopol.

shermer75
    Free Member

BBC News – Oleksiy Danilov interview: Ukraine counter-offensive ‘ready to begin’
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-65725004

This is being telegraphed so loudly right now! It’s like they have to do it, or the guilt would be too much

theotherjonv

Passport gates at UK airports not working, a Home Office spokesman says it’s an issue that is ‘too sensitive to say’

Am I putting 2 and 2 together to make 5 by posting it in this thread?

slowoldman

It’s like they have to do it, or the guilt would be too much

I’m pretty sure they will do it at the best time for them.

scuttler

If it wasn’t a cyberattack it’d piss poor IT or staff mismanagement. It’s evident the whole thing is a shower of shit regardless.

matt_outandabout

This is being telegraphed so loudly right now! It’s like they have to do it, or the guilt would be too much

Mind games time.
    Spend the next two weeks faking moves east and west, all times of the day and night. You’ll soon have a stressed, sleep deprived and frightened opposition.

I’m pretty sure they will do it at the best time for them.

And so far Ukraine have shown they are frankly rather good at choosing when, where, who and how.

Am I putting 2 and 2 together to make 5 by posting it in this thread?

Nope. That seems a fair bet.

shermer75
    Free Member

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Russia hasn’t started to act ‘seriously’ yet in Ukraine, Russian ambassador says
    When Kuenssberg mentions war crimes, including a maternity hospital being attacked in Mariupol and asks why Kelin won’t be honest about what has happened, he replies that the war has been going on since 2014 in the Donbas with crimes being committed on the Ukrainian army side.

He adds: “We want peace. We want no threat from Ukraine to Russia, this is one thing, and second that Russians in Ukraine will be treated like all other nations in the world. Like a French person in Ukraine.

“It is a big idealistic mistake to think that Ukraine will prevail. Russia is 16 times bigger than Ukraine. We have enormous resources and we haven’t just started yet to act very seriously.

“We are just defending the lands which are under control and assisting Russian people over there. We are rebuilding the Donbas.

“It depends on the escalation of war that is taking place. Sooner or later this escalation might have a new dimension that we do not need and we do not want. We can make peace tomorrow, if Ukrainian side will be prepared to negotiate but there is no preconditions for that.

“The German defence minister said if we stop supplying weapons to Ukraine, it will stop the day after tomorrow,” he said and laughs, saying he is right.

“If supplies of weapons will be stopped, it will be stopped the day after tomorrow. Please, stop it.”

words fail me 🤷‍♂️

Caher

I watched that interview, he should be treated in the same way as other deluded conspiracy theorists.

doomanic

A while ago we briefly discussed the BBMF after the Russian Victory Day parade. I was at the Bidford Wings and Wheels show today and there was a flypast by a Hurricane and Spitfire. There was lots of cheering from the older generations but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t give me goosebumps.

Caher

just a thought: if the US control the worlds GPS satellites can’t they deny Russia use of them?

bruneep
    rickmeister

Strangely I find Mr Kelin an interesting chap for some reason.
    Steve Rosenberg’s interviews and reporting though, from inside Russia and pretty gutsy. I wonder how he is remaining to operate. His Lukashenko interview was pretty ballsy IMHO.

Viewing 40 posts - 15,761 through 15,800 (of 18,579 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.