Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • UKGE back for 2018
  • jamesg55
    Free Member

be interesting to see how this unfolds

legend
    Free Member

Any info other than the thread title?

scotroutes

Isn’t this making a mockery of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act?

jamesg55
    Free Member

copied text from BDS facebook page/post

British Downhill Series

19 mins ·

Exciting news for the UK enduro racer, UK Gravity Enduro is returning both bigger and better for the 2018 season.

The Grand father of the UK Enduro scene, Steve Parr and his partner Liz have taken a well deserved year-long break from the race scene, spending valuable time with their two-year-old daughter Imogen.
    The #bringbackparr campaign started in 2017 and got the grey matter thinking said Steve. Now is the time to deliver a national level enduro series that takes in the best tracks and venues the UK has to offer.

The format will be the same as previous years – 5 rounds Nationwide, all with seeding on Saturday and 5 stages on Sunday. Camping will be available from Thursday evening, with open trails on Friday.
    Personal insurance will NOT be required but is highly recommended, helmets must be worn at all times and must be of the full face variety (detachable chin guards must be in place on stages).

Planning for 2018 is now well underway, dates and venues will be announced just after the EWS dates are released. Entries will go live on Saturday the 3rd of February at 09:00 with places limited to 300 riders on a first come, first served basis. More announcements regarding title sponsor and supporting sponsors will soon follow

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Must be full face? eh?

kimbers

yeeehaaaaa!

having tried to fill the gap since UKGE finished, WGES, Southerns, WES, Tweedlove, PMBA etc

UKGE still had the best combo of big loops, tough long stages and and a good spread across Britain

Ive got used to riding in my open face tho!
    my parachute got a bit mouldy in the garage too, still lots of new light vented options, still see plenty of people using FF of soem sort or another at enduros

still no insurance thing is wise to keep the numbers up.

I wonder if BC will be coming back?? the FF thing was something they were always keen on

legend
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

Must be full face? eh?

As long as the courses are basically multi-stage DH rather than trail centre pedalling then it seems fair enough

jamesg55
    Free Member

completely agree legend

kimbers

wot legend says

northerntom
    Free Member

Whilst there’s a chance I won’t enter any unless in the south west, I had a great time at some of the old ones, and were very well organised, and am pleased they will be back on next year. Hopefully will help consolidate some of the regional events as well.

Paton took them too far, basically excluded anyone not at a very high level, I always felt my mid pack finished would not be enough, the loops were just too long as well. Even events like the BDS still cater for your average rider, but felt the BES just excluded most.

I think the way forward is 4 or 5 events per year, but more like mini festivals, similar to the Ard rock, and at very good venues, and increase the amount of riders at each.

Northwind

Great news, it’s been a big hole in the calendar. Getting rid of the insurance hopefully shows some lessons learned too, that’s a good message to get out.

scottfitz
    Free Member

jamesg55 – Member

be interesting to see how this unfolds
    This.
    UKGE was always my favourite enduro formant but load of other events have stepped up since the UKGEs stopped, its a different market now.

joefm

I think it’s good news. Was hoping the regional organisers could have put on a round each to increase chances of it becoming sustainable long term. But UKGE did quite a bit right before and that worked out

legend
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Getting rid of the insurance hopefully shows some lessons learned too

I thought it just showed that they’ve got 1 less sponsor this time round 😉

Wonder what they’ll do to cause major Facebook frothing this time as well 🙂

kimbers

. Was hoping the regional organisers could have put on a round each to increase chances of it becoming sustainable long term.

must admit having done the Southern champs

and the pmba national champs this year
    K & Q of the hill last year

Welsh open this weekend

I think that could have worked

darrenspink
    Free Member
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As long as the courses are basically multi-stage DH rather than trail centre pedalling then it seems fair enough

What is the format?, as I have never had a look to be honest!.

chakaping
    Free Member

Was hoping the regional organisers could have put on a round each

It looked like the BEMBA members (ha) were on the case, but perhaps they’re not any more.

What do people think caused the BES to fold and how will the revived UKGE avoid the same fate?

northerntom
    Free Member

BES was not inclusive enough for weekend warrior types. It focussed too much on elites and wasn’t targeted to your normal rider. UKGE did both, manageable for most, but also testing enough.

I do think BEMBA have missed out essentially creating this. Using North, South, Welsh and Scottish rounds.

joefm

BES wasn’t that dissimilar to UKGE. Both put on tough loops and anyone who had done a ukge would have been fine with BES so where did everyone who did UKGE go?
    Problems started with two competing series and more regional organisers putting on good events spreading numbers too thin across events.

Hope it works, I will be entering some as hopefully life wont be in the way as it has been this last two years.

scottfitz
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

Was hoping the regional organisers could have put on a round each

It looked like the BEMBA members (ha) were on the case, but perhaps they’re not any more.[/quote] I can confirm that BEMBA were/are.

jamesg55
    Free Member

joefm – Member

BES wasn’t that dissimilar to UKGE. Both put on tough loops and anyone who had done a ukge would have been fine with BES so where did everyone who did UKGE go?
    Problems started with two competing series and more regional organisers putting on good events spreading numbers too thin across events.

Hope it works, I will be entering some as hopefully life wont be in the way as it has been this last two years.

what he said 🙂

northerntom
    Free Member

Both put on tough loops and anyone who had done a ukge would have been fine with BES so where did everyone who did UKGE go?

Maybe it as the perception that was created by Paton then? I mean the year before he spent the majority of the time slagging off Enduro in general.

Probably my biggest dislike was him capitalising on numerous stolen bikes being stolen at the UKGE Triscombe round, by shouting about great security at the BDS rounds.

Rorschach
    Free Member

The Grand father of the UK Enduro scene,

As in slightly bitter old geezer shouting about how it was all better in the good old days and how no one knows what they are doing anymore.
    And smelling of piss.

orena45

Great to hear we’ll have a national series again, I just really hope it works and doesn’t fold after a year.

As mentioned above, there are several really good regional series now (none in the southwest yet though 😥 ) which cater for the beginner and mid-level racers and that is probably enough for people who take part. It’s going to be tough to attract those people to UKGE, which is needed to help Steve etc cover organisation costs. When UKGE was in its prime, there wasn’t much competition but there is now, so I think they’re going to have think carefully how to market and afford the series to make it a success.

I was hoping for a combo of the regional series to make a national one for next year, but hope we don’t end up with a mess again! That said, UKGE will likely be at the top of list for next year’s racing now.

Will be interesting to see what unfolds!

scottfitz
    Free Member

orena45 – Member
    (none in the southwest yet though )

I will see what I can do

orena45

scottfitz – Member
    orena45 – Member
    (none in the southwest yet though )
    I will see what I can do

🙂

orena45

Am I reading too much into this, or is there some conflict already?

Gravity Enduro®

jamesg55
    Free Member

its started already.

legend
    Free Member

Oh ffs

poah
    Free Member

Great to hear we’ll have a national series again,

What do you mean again? What was the BES then?

orena45

Well, BES folded…so we had no national series this year

Northwind

joefm – Member

The problem was really that they’d already gone.

Just my 2c this but, I’m one of those that just lost interest in the UKGE as they lost interest in us. When Si stepped in he was taking over a car crash but it never seemed like he really got that. Mostly what I can remember hearing about was big prize funds, and how many sponsors and race trucks would be there, live timing, none of which addressed any of the reasons people stopped doing UKGE or really did a thing for 90% of riders. Just felt like more of the same. They had basic hearts and minds to do and instead it was all about polish and top end. Even the announcement that they were cancelling it went on about what a success it was for having all those things, then said “also, only 120 people turned up”

So I really, really hope this works. We know Steve can make an awesome series…

orena45 – Member

I think you’re reading too much in tbh, Charlie was (is? will be?) a key part of the UKGE and Steve’s been plugging the event.

(actually, I know the whole trademark thing rubbed people up the wrong way but I never got any inkling that it was abused? You need permission to use it, but it seemed people asking for it generally got it?)

poah
    Free Member

Well, BES folded…so we had no national series this year

was it that Canondale sponsored series?

orena45

Aye it was

mc
    Free Member

Gravity Enduro®

Doesn’t prior use void a trademark, just like patents?

Even if it doesn’t, I would guess trying to defend Gravity Enduro, will do far more harm than good to them in marketing terms, especially considering they weren’t the first to use the term.

poah
    Free Member

does anyone actually use the term gravity enduro anyway.

orena45

The main thing that struck me was that Charlie and Steve ran UKGE together didn’t they? I thought Steve was the owner of UKGE and it’s brand, social media channels etc?

Now Charlie appears to be objecting to Steve’s press release using the term ‘gravity enduro’ and doing it from the UKGE Twitter feed (also on Dirt mag’s FB post in the comments section)…so are Charlie and Steve no longer working together and Charlie now owns the brand and name etc?

scottfitz
    Free Member

Charlie owns the trademark ‘Gravity Enduro’. I know that because he emailed me to ask me (very politely) to stop using it in 2013 for the QECP Gravity Enduro

He now uses the term for the Welsh Gravity Enduro Series.

orena45

Fair enough, thought Steve had it. So Steve needs a new name for the new series…

How about British Enduro Series or UK Enduro Series? 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘UKGE back for 2018’ is closed to new replies.