Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • UK Fishing Industry mapped
  • mrchrispy

Interested in the UK fishing industry you say?
    Have a thing for interactive maps do you?

You’ll be all over this then….https://datasciencecampus.shinyapps.io/fishing_industry/

(as you can see I’m working hard today)

ElShalimo

Nice bit of SHINY/Leaflet visualisation
    thanks

bigjim

Looks interesting. Can you get the VMS or overflight data from MMO on there too? The marine fishing raster is a heatmap of port landings but the marine activity would be interesting too. I’m not sure what’s available as there was a brooha over VMS data a few years ago but I think some kind of processed output was available from MMO.

leebaxter
    Free Member

Interesting. having a quick look at different ports landing weights, who is eating all these thousands of tons of mackeral and whelks (my local port, whitehaven)?. i eat maybe 1 mackeral a year at a push.

bigjim

A huge amount of our seafood is exported. For an island nation we barely eat any and even then seem fond of eating crap like fish fingers and imported low quality mush. My spanish/portugese friends can’t understand it.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I know the local boats around here export something like 90% of their lobsters and langoustines.

globalti
    Free Member

Does it show where I can buy my kippers?

We saw a bloke unloading his boat in Mull and stuffing some lovely langoustines into polystyrene compartments. “Where do we have to go to eat those?” we asked. “You’ll need to be in Madrid tomorrow lunch time!” he replied.

Later that day we saw a blackboard outside a pub. “Fish of the day” it announced, so we went in and ordered drinks, anticipating a decent fish supper at last. “So what’s today’s fish?” I asked the barman. “Och, I dunno….” he replied. “Whatever they took out of the freezer this morning.”

mattyfez

Exported you say?

That will go down well with the fishermen brexiters of grimsby!

mattyfez

Local mackerel for local people.
    We’ll have no trouble here.

Has the illustrious Mr farridge got anything to say about this outrage?

It’s his job, after all, or is he too busy protecting his hefty MEP pension?

km79
    Free Member

who is eating all these thousands of tons of mackeral

Everyone. It’s turned into fishmeal and used for fetilizer and also to feed farmed fish like trout and salmon as well as chickens and pigs.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Does it show where I can buy my kippers?

Craster, Northumberland.

It would be very interesting to see a similar record for the catch results from say, 10/15/20 years ago.

thecaptain
    Free Member

The brexit impact assessment found out that the UK fishing industry is mostly located around coastal areas. I think this is the secret bit they didn’t want Jerry to know about.

slowoldman

Mackerel is hugely under-rated. Smoked mackerel is wonderful. OK not battered and served with chips which I suppose is the problem in Britain.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Mackerel is hugely under-rated.

Too true, It’s the basic bait for sea anglers.

Smoked mackerel is wonderful.

Also true. Speshly if It’s smoked in my garden in my smoker using actual oak shavings. 😉

burko73

the herring they use in craster to make the kippers is imported.

you can also get the coaster kippers in Waitrose usually. even down here in Hants.

gowerboy

Mackerel is my favourite fish…. I like it fresh, smoked, tinned, however it comes. I eat loads of it. I’m probably full of mercury and PCBs

slowoldman

Speshly if It’s smoked in my garden in my smoker using actual oak shavings.

Ah you swine. Years ago I was on holiday in a cottage in Cornwall with my parents. The owner took people out fishing and would tow couple of lines behind the boat. He then smoked the freshly caught mackerel in the garden and handed them to us free. They were perfect.

CountZero

the herring they use in craster to make the kippers is imported.

Probable from Spain or Portugal, having been caught by their British registered boats and landed at a British port, sent home then sold back to the UK.
    One of the reasons our fishing fleets are so depleted.

km79
    Free Member

Probable from Spain or Portugal, having been caught by their British registered boats and landed at a British port, sent home then sold back to the UK.

See also the people who come back from a holiday to France, Spain or Portugal and tell you about the amazing seafood and how they wish they could have as good back here. Meanwhile every morning multiple lorries loaded with the stuff leave from the north west coast of Scotland where it’s caught and landed to begin the long journey to said countries. These same people shop at the big supermarkets no doubt.

globalti
    Free Member

Just go and drive the lovely EU standard road from Lochinver to Ullapool and destinations further south; it was improved with EU money to speed the trucks carrying the fish to the airports.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

it was improved with EU money to speed the trucks carrying the fish to the airports.

Aahh, so that’s why seafood is so expensive. It’s actually been paid for from the UK’s £££’s input to the EU so that we can sell it to the EU.
    Not daft that EU lot are they?

*you (the UK) give us (the EU) money so we can improve your roads so that you can export your fish & seafood* (cos you’d never sell it all in the UK anyway)

Fair enough.

seadog101

Our fishing licenses have been sold off, just so happens that foreign owned companies/boats have bought them. Not really to do with foreign boats being allowed to fish in our waters, we sold them the licenses that allow them to do it…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘UK Fishing Industry mapped’ is closed to new replies.