• This topic has 67 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • UK Border and asking lots of questions of EU nationals
  • richmtb

So flew home from Romania yesterday.

There was a big queue at passport control.

The border agents were asking a few groups a lot of questions. They were all Romanians travelling with their ID cards from what I could tell.

Questions like:
    Have you booked a return flight?
    How long will you be staying?
    How will you support yourself while you are here?

Reasonable enough but do they actually have any right to ask this of EU citizens? There aren’t any transition arrangements still in place for Romanian citizens they have the same rights to work and live as everyone else.

If they answered “no, forever and no idea” would the UK Border Agents actually have any right to stop them?

By the way, I’m perfectly happy to be corrected I’m genuinely curious as I’ve traveled to and from Romania lots of times and never seen this before

ski
    Free Member

What was the food like on the flight?

mrmo
    Free Member

Reasonable enough but do they actually have any right to ask this of EU citizens? There aren’t any transition arrangements still in place for Romanian citizens they have the same rights to work and live as everyone else.

Remember that free movement does not mean free movement in the way some seem to think, and never really has. What it means is you have the right to move around the EU and find work. If you haven’t found anything after 3 months you have no right to remain.

chewkw
    Free Member

You can travel in EU with just your ID card? That’s new to me.

I thought everyone needs passport to travel even in EU (just waving through).

Travel between countries with ID card only? That’s so obvious a way to generate illegal revenue … 🙄

I don’t see any reasons why you cannot ask … I have been asked all the time.

Peanuts. Non-issue. 🙄

jeffl

Yeah believe you can travel with a national ID card within Europe. Not something we can do as we don’t have a national ID card.

seosamh77
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    You can travel in EU with just your ID card?

you can, yes. seems there’s a lot you don’t know chewkw.

molgrips
    Free Member

In the Schengen area…

tjagain

Not just in Schengen. EU nationals can come to the UK on an identity card and of course Irish nationals don’t need a passport for the UK either.

Edukator
    Free Member

And the UK too, I’ve been in and out of the UK on my French ID card and Madame took 110 kids through on their ID cards in 2016. She won’t be doing it again though.

chewkw
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member

chewkw – Member
    You can travel in EU with just your ID card?

you can, yes. seems there’s a lot you don’t know chewkw. [/quote]

You also don’t seem to see the opportunity or at least does not understand in other part of the world people buy fake ID daily … 😆

Using ID to cross boarder is the dumbest idea there is … 😆

I remember very well in the far east (where I come from) the central govt abolish passport travel, suddenly there were so many of “our” people migrating to the capital … we laughed our head off when we realised that those migrated were all from our neighbouring countries using fake ID … because of ethic diversity … the govt didn’t even know they were with fake ID … security tighten since but it was so funny … 😆

Edukator
    Free Member

Yup, there’s a market for fake passports including British ones. This isn’t the place to put ideas into people’s heads so I won’t go further… .

Edit: except to say that if you wanted to get into the UK which document would you favour?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You also don’t seem to see the opportunity or at least does not understand in other part of the world people buy fake ID daily …

Using ID to cross boarder is the dumbest idea there is …

And a Passport is a form of…………………..

garage-dweller

Using ID to cross boarder is the dumbest idea there is …

No that would be a sodium tea pot, magnesium fire blanket or the Sinclair C5.

(Or actually it’s probably the idea that you can have nuclear supremacy or world peace).

chewkw
    Free Member

Edukator – Reformed Troll

Yup, there’s a market for fake passports including British ones. This isn’t the place to put ideas into people’s heads so I won’t go further… .

Edit: except to say that if you wanted to get into the UK which document would you favour?

If I were a desperado from outside of EU border I would learn few of the cultures and languages of the out most EU countries that are most corrupted, then buy my ID from there … 😆

Imagine Turkey is in EU … You will have the entire Central Asia and Asia relocate to EU … 😆

kelvin

Oh, just **** off!!!

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I once watched a Romanian woman with her kids going in and out of poundland shoplifting, poundland! Maybe the MD has had enough of that and had had a word with the passport control as it must of been costing him literally hundreds of pounds! 😆

kilo

Yes because if you’re say Iraqi just pitch up in Bulgaria , learn the language, find someone who will sell you a fraudulently obtained genuine doc as a forged or doctored passport will be spotted, have a large amount of cash to pay for all of this and away you go – obviously easy as pie

andytherocketeer

often get asked questions
    what’s the reason for your visit? I’m british.
    how long are you staying for? Erm, I’m british (showing a british passport), but I’m only back for a week for christmas.
    where do you live? Germany
    where do you work? An international organisation of which the UK is a member state.
    do you have any ID for that work? No, I left it at home.

tbf those last 3 are usually when trying to get back out again.

Not sure if it’s the German car that confuses them, or the passport issued in “FCO”.

Fortunately, I have a new passport that now works properly in automated passport control, so don’t get scrutinised entering my own country.

Hate to think what non-Brits get asked. And 52% of the population want it to be harder?

chewkw
    Free Member

andytherocketeer – Member

often get asked questions
    what’s the reason for your visit? I’m british.
    how long are you staying for? Erm, I’m british (showing a british passport), but I’m only back for a week for christmas.
    where do you live? Germany
    where do you work? An international organisation of which the UK is a member state.
    do you have any ID for that work? No, I left it at home.

tbf those last 3 are usually when trying to get back out again.

I got asked almost similar questions too when coming back … 😆

“what’s the reason for your visit?” I live and work here.
    “how long are you staying for?” As long as I wish (refer to previous answer).
    “where do you live?” Here in the toon.
    “where do you work?” Large bureaucratic organization like yours. 😆

Yes, those are my answers with a smile.

Fortunately, I have a new passport that now works properly in automated passport control, so don’t get scrutinised entering my own country.

Routine scrutiny for me … no big deal.

Hate to think what non-Brits get asked. And 52% of the population want it to be harder?

They don’t ask me difficult questions at all coz I am legit. 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Naw, it’s cos they canny be **** listening to your inane pish.

chewkw
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Naw, it’s cos they canny be **** listening to your inane pish.

^^^ 😆

In the past twice I was questioned in a special room. I thought they were going to perform cavity search 😆 , but 5 mins into the questioning they realised I was not a drug mule or diamond smuggler so we ended up chatting about silly stuff …

edit: in the far east if you are being taken into special room … you are in trouble.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP yes they have the right to ask these questions of anyone. They can only deny entry to an EU citizen if they believe that person presents an immediate danger. As for the Romanians questions possibly

Suspicion of working illegally
    Suspision of criminal activity

Romanians where the number 1 source of EU migrants last year, 30,000 in total. I imagine the Border agency is wondering how they are supporting themselves. They would have access to stats of how many are in legitimate employment vs working in the illegal labour market

@mrmo if you can support yourself you are entitled to stay as long as you like. If you are looking for work you can also stay as long as you like, these days in the UK you cannot claim unemployment benefits until you have been here 3 months (Germans are in the process of making that 5 years)

hammerite
    Free Member

A mate of mine is mixed race (Mauritian dad, white british mum). My mate can only think that he was pulled over by security getting off Eurostar at St Pancras because he looks slightly browner than most white British people (apart from those returning from a few weeks sunning themselves in the Med). He was somewhat bemused by this pointless exchange…

Security: “What nationality is your passport?”
    Mate: “British.”
    Security: “OK and do you live in the UK?”
    Mate: “Yes I do.”
    Security: “OK great, thanks.”

They didn’t ask to see his passport or anything else!

andytherocketeer

french guiana was easier… “are you carrying any drugs? any cocaine, cannabis?”… nope… OK off you go.

hammerite
    Free Member

Andy – I had exactly the same exchange going through customs at Birmingham International returning from a work trip in Amsterdam.

chewkw
    Free Member

My best experience was being told to go back to Czechoslovakia (now Slovakia) from Hungarian boarder many many years ago. 😀

The Hungarian boarder security guards had to march me to the nearest boarder gate with machine gun … 😆

Those were the days when they were still 3rd world nations. 😆

bigrich

but i fort dat dey got a bundle of 50 pound notes and a free knee operation on our NHS?

bigrich

They would have access to stats of how many are in legitimate employment vs working in the illegal labour market

what are you implying?

Cougar

Imagine Turkey is in EU

Which it isn’t and is unlikely to be for the foreseeable future.

jambalaya
    Free Member

bigrich, large number working cash in hand

bigrich

Got any statistics? Because if you are condemning an entire nation of people as criminals, you’d better be pretty sure.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Profiling…. Just not by colour this time.
    As ever the best way to go after cash in hand workers is through the people putting the cash in the hand. People at the border can come here to look for any work.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I once watched a Romanian woman with her kids going in and out of poundland shoplifting, poundland! Maybe the MD has had enough of that and had had a word with the passport control as it must of been costing him literally hundreds of pounds!

I’ve seen an Englishman punch his wife in the face. I judge him, like I judge you. You disgust me.

bigrich

I had a romanian offer discount for cash, he was cunningly disguised as a carpet fitter called Dave from West Bromwich.

sneaky

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

RichPenny – Member
    I once watched a Romanian woman with her kids going in and out of poundland shoplifting, poundland! Maybe the MD has had enough of that and had had a word with the passport control as it must of been costing him literally hundreds of pounds!
    I’ve seen an Englishman punch his wife in the face. I judge him, like I judge you. You disgust me.

Watching that man would disgust me too although quite a random comparison considering the thread subject. Why do I disgust you for making a joke about that woman shoplifting? Was the problem I didn’t shop her? After all as far as I know she could still be stealing from people trying to make an honest living.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The poing being the “joke” could be taken as annecdote given the level of immigrant bashing these threads attract.

To try and explain what is being said at any point where you use a nationality other than yours in a story replace it with English person and see what it sounds like.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

To try and explain what is being said at any point where you use a nationality other than yours in a story replace it with English person and see what it sounds like.

It sounded like poundland was having a bad day.
    I’m no Jimmy Carr but I’m not Bernard Manning either peeps

igm

I have an honest face. At least twice border guards have waved me through as soon as I said I was British – no need to see a passport. (And no it wasn’t in Schengen)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bigrich I am not condeming an entire nation I am explaining why border force may be asking more questions of certain groups

I imagine Border force are able to assess how British you are likely to be by your accent. They have a job to do and a lot to get through so they make a few assumptions. They have to tread a line between political correctness, the law and doing their job

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The border agents were asking a few groups a lot of questions. They were all Romanians travelling with their ID cards from what I could tell.

Flew back in from Paris last week and there were Border Force checking passports at the end of the plane tunnel (I’m sure there’s a technical term for this – no idea what it is tho). They were asking the usual questions, but this was quite a stroll before transfers and regular passport control.

I was fine on a few questions having only left the day before, but those with connecting flights or a longer stay were getting asked a few more.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘UK Border and asking lots of questions of EU nationals’ is closed to new replies.