Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Uberbike alternative for brake pads
  • PrinceJohn

I’ve been using the uberbike sintered brake pads for a while & have had great resutls – however they are currently out of stock (& have been for ages) & I don’t want the expense of OEM, who else bar superstar do decent pads?

colp

Don’t fancy race matrix? I love them

PrinceJohn

Don’t fancy race matrix? I love them

What’s the longevity like on those?

spacey

I’d recommend the race matrix, last ages for me.

steve_b77
    Free Member

A good few 100km’s per front set, I put a new set in for the Euro 24hr champs, rode 300km there, a few other rides and changed them for the World 24hr Champs and there’s at least 30% left. So I’d say 800km per set of Race Matrix for me

PrinceJohn

I’ll give them a go…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

OEM sintered. Better braking & will last 4 times as long anyway, negating any savings on cheap pads with crappy performance (yes, speaking from experience).

PrinceJohn

OEM sintered. Better braking & will last 4 times as long anyway, negating any savings on cheap pads with crappy performance (yes, speaking from experience).

The brakes came with OEM – they lasted about 4 months, the Uberbike ones have lasted a good 5 months.

colp

The other side is that an accidental contamination isn’t a big issue on cheaper pads, and as pads wear, you always lose a bit of feel / increased lever travel. It’s nice to be able to pop a new set in little more frequently.

souster4
    Free Member

What are the race matrix like in the wet?

My guides with resin pads are crap in wet, yet my codes with now resin pads (all the shop had) don’t really care if it’s wet or dry.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got them on my monstercross, can’t complain.

I’d rather buy cheap resin pads that actually stop me. Sintered are great for lasting an entire winter, but I do prefer grippier pads.

jjwprestidge
    Free Member

Race Matrix are pretty good – had them on the rear of my bike and have last all the way through from March until I replaced the calipers last week.

People do talk rubbish about brake pads – I’ve had Shimano resin, Shimano sintered and all sorts of different aftermarket pads, including Superstar and Uber. The ones that lasted the least time were the Shimano resin and the Shimano sintered were no better than most of the aftermarket pads.

JP

vincienup
    Free Member

35bikes?

Poopscoop

Race Matrix all the way.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

People do talk rubbish about brake pads – I’ve had Shimano resin, Shimano sintered and all sorts of different aftermarket pads, including Superstar and Uber. The ones that lasted the least time were the Shimano resin and the Shimano sintered were no better than most of the aftermarket pads.

In your opinion of course.

Personally I find OE sintered the best available (other than Swisstop which are bloody impossible to get). Can’t use any resin pads, they just feel like nasty mush on anything testy where brakes get used properly. They would probably be fine round flat trails. Of course, your riding style, terrain & MMV.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I recently bought a pair of Code RSCs which tbh I wasn’t that impressed with.

Another member on here (thanks alexxx!) suggested giving the Race Matrix pads a go. I didn’t expect much of them over the standard OE sintered pads.

Power is through the roof now (managed to lock the front wheel on tarmac with little effort which was interesting) but still have plenty of modulation. Will have to see how they last but I’ll quite happily replace them like for like every few months if need be given the increase in performance over the standard pads.

grarea
    Free Member

I took advice on here and got some Race Matrix.Now I am excited to try them out.

Will I have the willpower to wait until I have worn the current ones out?

Mbnut
    Free Member

For sensible performance for the price, Uberbike Race and Kevlar do a good job.

If I was going to spend OEM money on pads then Trickstuff are a genuine upgrade to your brakes performance.

So Uberbike for the winter grinding paste then go Trickstuff in the spring.

andybrad

so after years of sticking with hope original pads and now stuck with a set of guide r’s are we saying that the matrix pads are better than oem?

joebristol

Race matrix pads in a guide r (ime) are much better than oem resin pads yes. As are the Uber sintered pads. I have used sram sintered pads and they seemed ok – no better or worse than the Uber sintered pads I replaced them with. Just more expensive.

colp

I always wait until Uberbike have a sitewide discount on (usually 20 to 30%) then buy packs of 4 sets. Works out really cheap.

bobbyspangles

Bought some pads from China. I may die, I may find them suitable

Yetiman
    Free Member

I went back to Disco Brakes after Superstar stopped doing pads, and so far I’ve been really pleased with their ceramic and Kevlar compounds.

geex
    Free Member

Uberbike 30% off code is still live

BLACK30 at checkout

oikeith

I now only run the Race Matrix in my Guide RS’s, picked up a set of 4 maybe a year ago and have only gone through two pairs so far, I was riding 4 times a week over the summer too!

raybanwomble
    Free Member

bluearsedfly, bleed them and then bleed them again. Mine weren’t that impressive to begin with, a good solid bleed and they end up with hardly any free stroke (lever travel) and lots of power.

I don’t understand the like for resin/organics – they offer more instant bite but from speed sintered will stop you quicker as they fade less (lab tests confirm this) and they operate better in the wet.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Thanks for the code geex

nickfrog
    Free Member

I haven’t experienced fade on resin, I should try harder perhaps. I have had problems with Uberbike pads that refused to bed in. I put some £7 Shimano jobs on the same rotors and instant perfect braking ensued. I contacted Uberbike and they were dismissive and unpleasant so I don’t see the point now of bothering with their products.

steve_b77
    Free Member

As good as anything else

Tracey

Been running Race Marix since they brought them out, got them from their stand at the Steel City DH, Use them on XT, Saint and more recently on Guide REs on the ebike. Use them throughout the year in all conditions. Never had a problem with them on the local trails or long Alp desents. Usually stock up when they have a discount code.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Uberbike alternative for brake pads’ is closed to new replies.