Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Uber – don't you just love 'em?
  • frankconway
    jambalaya
    Free Member

Just the odd 57 million accounts … no need to mention that eh ?

Disgraceful organisation

Junkyard
    Free Member

we have unanimity in disliking them

Problem is a folk want is the cheapest

if that comes with tax avoidance, the loss of workers rights, no data security etc they dont GAs as long as its cheap

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Disgraceful organisation

This.

But people still want to use them in huge numbers, we don’t have many ways to directly change society but choosing where we spend our money is a big one if only people would use it.

chewkw
    Free Member

I don’t have a smart phone so I ain’t their customer. 😛

rs
    Free Member

If regular taxi companies could get their act together and create a decent app, we could bin uber altogether. We were waiting on a a taxi the other day, told it would be a few minutes, probably waited 15 with no idea if it was actually going to show up. At least with uber we’d know where it was and could watch its progress. Then when it turned up the person getting out, took forever to pay, while we waited at the curb in the rain. With uber you would just get out and leave. Its a great service and technology but horrible company.

oldnpastit

Lyft.

Coyote
    Free Member

True and the cause of so many of today’s problems across the spectrum.

CrispyCSW

If regular taxi companies could get their act together and create a decent app, we could bin uber altogether

This x100. I don’t use Uber because of the price, I use it because of how easy and slick the experience is. Easy to order, easy to track, just get out on arrival and all receipts are in one place when I come to claim expenses.

Compare that with a taxi, I need to look up a local company number to book, have no idea if it is on time to pick up, have to faff with paying when I arrive and get a paper receipt. My last taxi journey resulted in nearly missing a train as the drivers card machine wasn’t working so he drove around trying to get signal and refused to let me out. Great service.

superfli
    Free Member

The brilliant app for ordering, paying and monitoring is extremely useful when abroad.
    Recently got a couple of uber’s on mainland Greece. The cost and hassle was very low, compared to a nightmare ordering by phone and getting ripped off

kerley
    Free Member

If regular taxi companies could get their act together and create a decent app

Smallish Taxi companies will never be developing their own apps so not something they could ever do.
    However, an app could be created by a company and offered for use to any taxi company. Something that works in a similar way to Uber but is used by Taxi companies (at a charge) rather than individuals.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve arrived twice at Cape Town late on a Sunday to find the hotel bus pickup area absolutely rammed with Ubers, many of them driving the wrong way into the pickup area then trying to do a multi-point turn and blocking everybody. The pavement is choked with travellers scanning their phones and then dashing out to their car, which stops in the middle of the chaos to load them, causing further congestion and some of the drivers look distinctly iffy.

I can see that technology will eventually take over; in that London for example the black cabs are the last monopoly of the white Anglo-Saxon male Londoner and Uber represents the comsopolitan future of the city but FFS somebody needs to get Uber sorted out.

dragon
    Free Member

if that comes with tax avoidance, the loss of workers rights, no data security etc they dont GAs as long as its cheap

True, but governments and regulators need to get up to speed quicker and set some standards before these companies are allowed to operate.

big_scot_nanny

CrispyCSW – Member
    If regular taxi companies could get their act together and create a decent app, we could bin uber altogether
    This x100. I don’t use Uber because of the price, I use it because of how easy and slick the experience is. Easy to order, easy to track, just get out on arrival and all receipts are in one place when I come to claim expenses.

Compare that with a taxi, I need to look up a local company number to book, have no idea if it is on time to pick up, have to faff with paying when I arrive and get a paper receipt. My last taxi journey resulted in nearly missing a train as the drivers card machine wasn’t working so he drove around trying to get signal and refused to let me out. Great service.

Also this, its not price, its the transparency and ease that is key. Also, 99% of time it is a clean, normal car driven by interesting, normal human beings. I like it a huge amount.

This hack thing though does explain why my Uber account was hacked a couple fo months ago. A bunch of Russian transactions started appearing, account details changed etc. Uber, and master card, were of course fantastic.

The irony was, even when the guys took 10 rapid uber rides, as the currency was rubles the total value was about £4.30. 🙂

edhornby

2 guys went poking around on github, found the cloud service (AWS) Admin userID and password !! then the Uber execs paid them a $100k ransom for them to not leak the data (that is already gone..) and tried to keep it quiet

What total muppets

I’ll stick to riding my bike thanks, google cars will be along soon enough and then we won’t have to worry about drivers etc…

Dickyboy

Uber doughnuts anyone?

johndoh
    Free Member

Smallish Taxi companies will never be developing their own apps so not something they could ever do.
    However, an app could be created by a company and offered for use to any taxi company.

Yeah I thought of this very concept a while back (way before Uber). Could see it working in a similar way to the Just Eat model and cab firms pay for a licence to use it.

jimdubleyou

However, an app could be created by a company and offered for use to any taxi company.

Yeah I thought of this very concept a while back (way before Uber). Could see it working in a similar way to the Just Eat model and cab firms pay for a licence to use it.[/quote]

https://www.kabbee.com/

For that London.

whitestone
    Free Member

See this article about Austin, Texas but they basically shut Uber and Lyft down because they refused to do background checks on their drivers. The local cab companies then used an app to fill the “void” as it were. The ban was then overturned by the state legislature.

Not being a city person it’s rare that I’ve need for a taxi but round here I’ll ring up and then get a text back stating when the taxi will arrive and what sort of car, colour it is. The only bit that isn’t “integrated” is the payment bit which is still cash.

taxi25
    Free Member

However, an app could be created by a company and offered for use to any taxi company. Something that works in a similar way to Uber but is used by Taxi companies (at a charge) rather than individuals.

Lol autocab do just this. They lease a whole package to taxi companies big or small. I’ve used their system, it’s ok but Uber’s is so much better both for riders and drivers. Uber might have problems with their management style but the service they offer is first rate, especially for drivers, at least here in the UK. Some other taxi firms ive worked with…… 😯

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Uber – don't you just love 'em?’ is closed to new replies.