• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tyre not 'locking' on Stan's rim. Any ideas?
  • Brown
    Free Member

I’ve happily had a 2.5 Minion running on a Flow rim. I took the tyre off a few days ago and now can’t remount it. The tyre won’t lock onto the bead hooks. Even with a tube in, it doesn’t ‘pop’ into place and just drops back into the centre channel when the tube is deflated.

A Schwalbe Nobby Nik locks on fine. What’s going on? Any ideas?

jwr

Maybe try some soapy water or silicone spray on the bead?

Brown
    Free Member

With or without soapy water the beads seem to push up to the bead hooks no problem. They just won’t lock there.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I have to over inflate tyres to 50psi to make them lock in sometimes

Brown
    Free Member

I’ve had them up to 60psi with a tube in. Really not sure what’s going on.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I remember reading on a different thread a bit ago that tubes can stop the bead locking in propperly because of how it pushes on the tyre.

Only in tubeless do the beads lock.

When I got mine to my stans I always go to 50 psi+ without a tube.

The only other thing stopping it could be the bead being to big for the rim hooks

vinnyeh

Are the rim and bead clean or covered in dried up jizz? Sometimes this will cause issues
    Try leaving the tyre inflated overnight, sometimes the bead will kink.

Garry_Lager

Is it inflating ok-ish (without the tube) but not popping on, or is it just not going up at all?
    If it’s the first it could just be that the tyre is past it – sometimes the bead goes without any obvious signs of damage.

If it’s not going up at all it’s more than likely fine, just needs some careful tyre positioning / furious pumping to get it back up.

bigjim

soapy water does the trick.

Note the max pressure marked on the rim before you start going to those kinds of pressures…

Brown
    Free Member

The bead’s clean and shouldn’t be too large as it’s been working fine up until now.

I normally have to get one bead locked on with a tube, then pop one off and inflate tubeless. Interesting about the tubes, dvatcmark, that could explain it, although it used to work.

br
    Free Member

conpressor

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tyre not 'locking' on Stan's rim. Any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.