Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tyre musings including Minion, Vee Snap and Hans Dampf
  • steamtb

Has the longevity of tyres changed in the past year or so? Am I doing something different or have I just been “unlucky”? Or maybe a bit of all three…

I’ve always been a fan of Maxxis tyres with occasionally something else on the rear and in the past they’ve been a fit and forget item until they are getting worn and need replacing. This last year hasn’t really been like that, my Minion DHF Exo+ with loads of tread seemed to lose all its shape and integrity after a big (for me) rock drop. It was a comfortable landing with enough air pressure, but the tyre had to be binned. Roll on the new replacement, still with all the tread looking nearly new, it started going down. After checking it, there was one section of the tyre that wasn’t sealing. So I marked that section, cleaned up and re taped the rim, put it (marked area) on the rim in a different place with the same result. Tried again, same result. I can put my fingers on it and it just unseals. Tried leaving it on, same result.

On a similar note, I tried the newer Hans Dampf Addix on the rear. I liked it, tread still looking nearly new and it started to disintegrate and leaking in dozens of places, mainly around the tread blocks.

Anyway, I’ve now put on the Vee Flow Snap Tackee 2.6 that came with the bike. I was a bit dubious about the same tyre front and back but so far so good. Heavy tyres (about 1.35 kg) but brill grip, they slide a bit more than my previous tyres as you lean in, but keep your confidence and they then really grip 🙂 they do feel a bit harder work on the uphills but worth it so far, let’s see what happens in a few months…

As an after note, the Flow Snaps went easily on the rims with no leaks, I like them so much, I’ve also stuck some on my daughters bike.

escrs
    Free Member

Maxxis do have a issue with becoming wobbly, espcially the DHF and DHR2, sometimes when fitting (lots of soapy water needed to stop the bead getting damaged when fitting) sometimes from drops where the tyre deforms too far for the bead and casing to go back to thier original shape

What i have found though is if they do become wobbly but still have a decent amount of tread left and dont look battle scarred then Maxxis/the shop you bought them from are happy to warranty them and give you a new one (in the case of Amazon UK they didnt want the old one back, just sent me a new one)

Tried many a brand of tyre of the years and just stick to Maxxis now, mainly DHF,DHR2 and Assegai’s

schmiken

Vee Tires are seriously underrated tyres, I’m a big fan. I use the Snap Trail, Rail Tracker and Rail Escape. All great when you use the appropriate pressure.

jamesoz

Heavy tyres (about 1.35 kg) but brill grip, they slide a bit more than my previous tyres as you lean in, but keep your confidence and they then really grip 🙂 they do feel a bit harder work on the uphills

Holy crap! That’s a heavy tyre, 29er and really rock terrain?

jamesoz

Rocky not rock.

fossy

DHF and DHR II’s here and never had an issue, but running tubes (I’ve had maybe two punctures in 5 years).

I wore the rear DHR out during the first lockdown as I was riding that much.

steamtb

The Vee Snap that I currently have on are pretty weighty 😉 but they are doing really well so far, not much has fazed them although they have yet to go through the winter!

I’ve had dozens of Maxxis tyres and it’s only over the last year I’ve had these issues, although I can’t see it mattering considering what lots of people do, but I do stress tyres a lot more than I used to or maybe just one of those things! I have a lot of respect for Vee Tyres, my daughter had crown gem before these and they were awesome beyond expectations. 🙂

the00
    Free Member

I find Maxxis tyres in anything less than full DH casing to be pretty weak. I have the same carcass deformation issues that you have. I once successfully warrantied a tyre, but honestly, it’s a hassle. Everytime I tell myself never again, and then I get suckered in because they have a wide range and good availability.

Schwalbe tyres I like better, but I also had a Hans Dampf wear out pretty quickly too. I just don’t think it has the knob volume to stay strong. That’s the beauty of the DHF, it grips right down to the threads. The Magic Mary is nice, and I have one waiting to replace my Assegai on the front when it gets wet here.

My next rear tyre, in the box and ready to fit, is a Michelin Enduro with the stronger Pro casing. I tried the normal one last year, which was great but fragile. I hope this one will be better.

dc1988

I found Michelin tyres to be very resilient without being too heavy, I would definitely buy them again.

docrobster
    Free Member

I’m using vee flow snaps, 2.6f 2.35r. On the hardtail for a year and a bit and on the fs for the last 3 months. Certainly wearing well. The rear could do with a bit more mud grip but otherwise no complaints. Fitted a mezcal 2.6 to the rear for a few months this summer. Saved nearly 300g! But no good in the slop…

steamtb

Well, the Flow Snaps performed admirably* at a very slippy Eastridge this morning; good comparison as my frequent riding buddy was on his usual DHR / DHF combo and found it horribly slippy and a little scary! 🙂

* that’s obviously relative as the roots and rocks at Eastridge get a bit lively when greasy. Some of the really steep stuff was definitely commit and prey territory at speed.

Jordan

I recently fitted a Vittoria Martello on the back to replace a DHR. Definately a heavier tyre but only a little noticeable on the long road climb that most of my rides start with but definately grippier on some of the slippy descents. Very happy with it so far.

chakaping
    Free Member

Had three or four Maxxis tyres go wobbly over the course of a few years, can’t recall any other brands doing it.

My next rear tyre, in the box and ready to fit, is a Michelin Enduro with the stronger Pro casing. I tried the normal one last year, which was great but fragile.

I’ve actually found the standard casing Wild Enduro rear surprisingly durable (with a Rimpact Pro).

BillOddie

I was an avowed Minion DHF (2.5 MaxxTerra) for everything rider but I have dabbled with some other options this year.

Onza Ibex (not the newly launched updated one) – Rides like a lower profile DHR2/High Roller. Roll really fast, plenty of cornering grip, not great in the wet in a straight line.

Specialized Butcher (2.6 T9 Grid Trail and 2.3 Gription BlckDmnd) – loads of grip in soft to sloppy conditions, Blckdmnd casing is pretty thick and heavy but unsurprisingly gives decent sidewall support.  Does not roll well unsurprisingly.

It’s definitely getting harder to justify Maxxis at full RRP.

joebristol

I’ve always been ok with Maxxis in Forekaster /aggressor / dhr2 / dhf flavours – all exo casing. But I’ve recently had a barely used dissector go all wobbly on me – luckily I bought it through Amazon and they warranteed it amazingly quickly. They wanted the old one back within 30 days but sent me the new one basically next day. Service was ace.

I find the Dhf is a good 3 season tyre (maybe even 4) on trail centres but in steeps off piste I’m not so keen when it starts getting muddy.

Got a 2.4” Wild Enduro to try on my fs bike now – 3 rides in and impressed so far. One great polished stone trail centre ride – thought it would be terrible on that but it just gripped and gripped. 1 natural flowy but not too steep session and apart from sliding out on a wet root (which all tyres would do) it was great. Went out yesterday on a steeper sort of natural ride (Nibley near Bristol) and it just gripped for days. Loving it so far.

jimmy748

For ultimate grip and casing strength it’s hard to beat a Michelin DH22/DH34 combo, paired with EX511’s makes a pretty indestructible wheel.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve been quite taken with the WTB Verdict light/grippy. Had one on the front of the big bike for 18months now, and while it is showing signs of wear, its far from dead. Sensible weight, decent size, edge grip to die for (although a big gap between centre and side knobbles) and not espceially fragile (I think I’ve put 2 holes in it, but both easily and permanently plugged.

A matching rear is a little harder. 2.4 Trailboss tough/fast is OK as a summer tyre, but shag all use in the mud. A bit limited in edge grip, but rolls OK. 2.4 Judge tough/fast is massively grippy in the clag, a bit skinny, but the weight of a small moon. Rolls better than you’d expect, but that ain’t saying much! Both are tough enough for me.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tyre musings including Minion, Vee Snap and Hans Dampf’ is closed to new replies.