Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Two become One – Singlespeed for everything, stupid?
  • RDL-82
    Free Member

So circumstances dictate that I might have to make two bikes become one. I’ve got my geared HT which gets dragged out occasionally these days and needs a few quid spending on it and I’ve got the SS HT that if I swap a couple of things off the other bike would be IMO great. 
    The only thing the SS needs IMO is a bouncy front end, but I can do that with the sale of the other if it comes to it. 
    Therefore I’m thinking of saying goodbye to the geared bike and going SS only until such time as I can justify another bike. 

So, has anyone gone singlespeed only then and lived to regret it or found it the best thing since sliced bread. 
    Also for those of you running SS only where do you ride and what gearing. 

I’ll most often be riding local stuff which I know is fine, Todmorden and the surroundings, again always managed and the Dark Peak, never tried there, and the Pennines around Saddleworth. So any thoughts on them areas would be good. Although I’d just have to MTFU and get on with it or stop riding there either way, but anyone riding there, doable?

Nothings decided 100% yet, so advise or ridicule as you see fit!

Keef
    Free Member

for me,SS only.Cannock flatlands 90% of the time,trail centers/peaks,etc a few times a year,just change the gear to suit,rigid always.It’s what I like,don’t mean anyone else has too,each to their own innit 😉

been doin it for a while an all……..

Matt_SS_xc

I did it for 5 years (as a student when i could ride lots), was fine, trail centres all over uk, lakes and wales, dartmoor.
    However, now as a full time employed person and not riding anywhere near as much as I like it stopped being as much fun, now have gears and full suspension and I must say I like it, I miss the SS but you have to keep your fitness up to handle it full time IMO

Matt_SS_xc

BigJohn

I’ve got a Cotic Soul which I ride most of the time as a singlespeed (well, dinglespeed actually – I ride 36:16 from home the 5 miles to Cannock Chase then flip it over to 34:18 – with the benefit of a tensioner) but I’ve got all the stuff for gears too, which takes me about 90 minutes to stick on if I’ve got a trip planned to hillier places.

And that’s all I have or want.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

Fitness I’m not overly bothered about, I’d say I’m relatively fit and capable of pushing myself if needed.

I enjoy riding ss more than the gears anyway so that’s half the battle.

If push comes to it I can always see about having an alfine rear wheel built up, although the ‘dinglespeed’ sounds interesting, obviously same chain, but are you confined to certain gears so as to maintain tension or do you need a tensioner? I’m running an ss only frame (io) so can’t add a tensioner afaik.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Alfine rear wheel, lock on grips and some zip ties will be well cheaper than what you will get for the bits left over after you shrink 2 nice bikes into one, surely? I guess it will handle a bit differently with a massive rear hub on it (not ridden hub gears since my sturmey archer bike 20+ years ago) If my nice general race/long rides yeti asr wasn’t so hilariously good fun to ride, I would definitely consider that with my singlespeed too.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Who said I had two nice bikes 😉

The alfine option would only be if I found I really couldn’t live with the ease of some gears.

samuri
    Free Member

Having just a singlespeed is stupid.

You need a fixie too.

ssjeff
    Free Member

I enjoy riding ss more than the gears anyway so that’s half the battle.

Answered your own question ride what you enjoy 🙂

You can now be ssRdL82

tk46hal
    Free Member

I like S/S and geared, but I couldn’t ride only a S/S. Too hilly around Yorkshire.

MarkyG82

Surely a dinglespeed is doable sans tensioner with horizontal dropouts.

Aidan
    Free Member

I haven’t had a geared XC bike for over 7 years and I don’t feel like I miss gears at all. I don’t even change ratios when I travel. It’s cheap and simple, and you’ve always got feet to use if it doesn’t work out.

I am thinking how nice a cross bike with one of these would be, though.

My geared bikes are:

The little hardcore one because I couldn’t keep it straight enough pedalling uphill on north shore trails while pushing a SS gear.

The road bike as I do some guiding on it and you need gears to chase down hardmen who race off the front when you’re talking to the people at the back.

Probably, you can live without those two geared situations.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Answered your own question ride what you enjoy

I know, I know, it’s just that nagging doubt, once done there’s no going back for the time being.

Surely a dinglespeed is doable sans tensioner with horizontal dropouts.

I’d have thought so, but unless you ran two at the back and two at the front with the same overall teeth (like mentioned in ScienceOfficers post) then it’s going to be a case of stopping and adjust the wheel, defeats the point IMO.

Aidan
    Free Member

To actually answer your question, I use 34:19 on 29er wheels and live near London. But I’ve also ridden in Colorado, Pyrenees, Alps, Wales, Scotland, Lakes, etc. without changing ratios.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Don’t 29er ratios size up slightly different, or am I confusing something else? That would be about 1.8:1 then?

I’m on 26″ with a 32:16 traditional 2:1.

knottie8
    Free Member

I want to ride SS and just SS but im just not strong enough . I tend to ride SS with my less fit mates , Oh and 32/18 on the gear side of things.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

then it’s going to be a case of stopping and adjust the wheel, defeats the point IMO.

Which is why I run a tensioner.

Its easy to move a chain from one ring to another. Its rather more of a faff to muck about with horizontal dropouts. I don’t know too many riders with horizontals, but of those I do, they’re always mucking about with them.

robkhoo
    Free Member

Have ridden geared bikes very rarely in the last 6 months (twice I think) and then only because I wanted some squish as opposed to the geared bit. I live in South Wales, not many flat bits round here, 32:19 ratio. Rigid forks as well, a perfect high mileage, low maintenance bike.

aa
    Free Member

It’s a good idea, if the majority of your riding suits it.

I now have 2 ss’s, gears are in the shed, just in case, but i’ve been solely ss for most of this year. It’s slower overall, but, i’m enjoying the obvious benefits of no fettling, less cleaning, less thinking. just get on and push them pedals. lovely.

Clink

I don’t know too many riders with horizontals, but of those I do, they’re always mucking about with them.

Since when? ❓ 😀

Aidan
    Free Member

I’m told that 34:19 on 29er is about the same as 32:16 on 26″ wheels but I haven’t done the calculations.

However, 29ers are magic and make you a better rider.

When I ran baby-wheels, I used 32:18.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Which is why I run a tensioner.
    Its easy to move a chain from one ring to another. Its rather more of a faff to muck about with horizontal dropouts. I don’t know too many riders with horizontals, but of those I do, they’re always mucking about with them.

Tbh I’d just stick with pure SS and walk/get stronger!

I will be using it for a short commute so the 32:16 will stay as it makes the flat bits almost bearable compared to anything easier/bigger out back.

It’s slower overall…

I guess that depends really. I ride solo alot so irrelevant. However on a short local ride I do, I can get to the highest/halfway point in 36mins on the ss and 33ish with gears (1×9). I’m bot a rider that like stopping around, I prefer to just ride non stop.

RDL-82
    Free Member

I’m told that 34:19 on 29er is about the same as 32:16 on 26″ wheels but I haven’t done the calculations.

Thought it was the case.

The end of the day I’ll either get stronger or blow my knees apart, now then, do I need to start on the beard!

jonathan
    Free Member

I was SS only for 7-8 years or so. The only thing that pushed me to sort out a geared bike was pulling a child trailer with an increasingly heavy child. I could do it but I wasn’t sure it was good for me! Live in North York Moors and ridden SS all over, including lakes and Calderdale – which is particularly challenging on one gear, but you get used to it pretty quickly!

I usually run 32:17 or 32:18, sometimes 32:16, but it depends on what’s on and which bike is working/clean. About 50% of my riding is SS now.

oldnpastit

There are places though where SS would just be miserable. Spain for example.

epicyclo

Samuri +1 🙂

RDL-82
    Free Member

There are places though where SS would just be miserable. Spain for example.

Chance would be nice!

Live in North York Moors and ridden SS all over, including lakes and Calderdale – which is particularly challenging on one gear, but you get used to it pretty quickly!

That’s what I want to here!

Cheers guys, pretty much decided I’m going to do it now anyway, so before I drag the tools out and butcher the nice bits off the other bike, anyone else want to offer anything or tell me I’m sure to die 😉

franki
    Free Member

I’ve found that I now enjoy riding rigid ss more than front suss and gears. My HT has now swapped commuting duties with the ss and I never take it offroad now.
    Most of my riding is done in the Wyre forest and Cannock where the ss is ideal.
    Even on my last trip to Wales, where I rode the Pont Scethin route and The Beast at CYB, I chose to take the ss. I just like riding it more.
    It’s a 26″ wheeler and I run 32:17 usually, but pop an 18t on for Wales / Peak District etc.

RDL-82
    Free Member

I love my rigid ss however I personally feel it being held back by not having some suspension up front to take some of the sting out, plus I just have visions of carbon splinters flying everywhere and me doing my best superman impression!

Even on my last trip to Wales, where I rode the Pont Scethin route and The Beast at CYB, I chose to take the ss. I just like riding it more.
    It’s a 26″ wheeler and I run 32:17 usually, but pop an 18t on for Wales / Peak District etc.

Cool, I’m sold, better get busy over the weekend! Think I build it up with the bits I was going to use off the other bike anyway, give it a month or so, they make a 100% descision either way, strongly suspect it’ll be the ss that’s wins out though.

Cheers for your imput guys

mangoridebike

Is the SS frame a nicer one that the geared? If they’re equivalent why not take the gears off tthe geared frame, run it as SS with a tensioner and then if the need for gears emerges you can put them back on with ease.

Alternatively get hold of an old Hone or Saint rear hub which hangs the derailleur off the axle rather than a gear hanger.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i rode SS exclusively for around a year (i did have a geard bike for at least 3 months) including taking it to spain & riding some sizable hills. never really missed gears. i know have a geared bike. have ridden it 2/3 times this year (last night was the third) and i’m thinking about going SS…

brassneck

The only thing that pushed me to sort out a geared bike was pulling a child trailer with an increasingly heavy child. I could do it but I wasn’t sure it was good for me!

This is what happens to me, the SS drop outs go back in for winter when I’m not towing.

Though to be honest I couldn’t go anywhere 32:18 with two kids in the back, it’d kill me.

For the OP – I’d build whatever gave me the most smiles per mile. I’d probably stick with a really nice ss if I didn’t ride with other geared riders so often, I prefer it on my own.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Is the SS frame a nicer one that the geared?

Quite different from each other really, a Genesis IO rigid carbon fork and a Cotic BFe, which spends it’s life at 120mm (rides best IMO).
    As for nicer, I like them both and would keep both, but one needs to go realistically. As I’ve said earlier though, put a suspension fork on the IO and I doubt I’d miss the extra 20mm on the BFe, other than the extra burliness of it all.

For the OP – I’d build whatever gave me the most smiles per mile. I’d probably stick with a really nice ss if I didn’t ride with other geared riders so often, I prefer it on my own.

With a sus fork it’d have to be the ss I’d say. As for keeping up, I don’t feel that’d be too much of an issue with the group I ride with when not solo, although if Dave’s reading he’ll be sure to give me a good run for my money!

DavidFelt
    Free Member

although if Dave’s reading he’ll be sure to give me a good run for my money!

Good run for your money, your referring to the Manchester to Hartshead Pike TT current record holder there mate!

Just get the tools out with weekend and wait a while to sell the rest, good excuse for a few rides in the Peak… “got to test if this is okay love” and “the money will be used for non bike stuff, don’t worry” are good premade excuses!

dday

I did a gradual upgrade to SS. I’m not convinced that 26ers are best suited to SS. The 29er offsets a significant amount of effort, and I went with an Alfine for a while, but I did not like the slightly ‘disconnected’ feel from the drivechain. Went to a 32/16 with a straight forward conversion kit. Around the surrey hills, there’s not much I cant climb. What makes it for me? Steel frame, 29er, light wheelset, decent fork and some small bar ends help when you need to get out the saddle.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Good run for your money, your referring to the Manchester to Hartshead Pike TT current record holder there mate!

I gave you that one to stop you sulking 😉 slow and steady mate it’s all day long that counts!

What makes it for me? Steel frame, 29er, light wheelset, decent fork and some small bar ends help when you need to get out the saddle.

That’s the plan minus the 29er bit, although tempted to try one it’s an expense I can’t afford at present, something for later!

bullandbladder
    Free Member

“singlespeed for everything, stupid!” I thought it was a new Bikemonger sticker for a moment.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Two become One – Singlespeed for everything, stupid?’ is closed to new replies.