Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Tweed Valley trails not part of Glentress or Innerleithen
  • karlp
    Free Member

After some local knowledge.
    5 of us riding around Inners for 3 days end Sept (all very experienced riders).
    Will ride Glentress & Inners trails but also after some great off piste with a gpx file if possible.
    Seen Gypsy Glen via MBR and would appreciate feedback on quality or if we should ride different.
    Thx in advance.

BoardinBob

Cademuir
    Thornielee
    Yair

Get the trail forks app

karlp
    Free Member

BB thx for super speedy response.
    Will do as above.

Still interested in thoughts of others.

bungalistic
    Free Member

There’s enough trails in and around Innerleithen without needing to ride the trail centre. As BoardinBob says, trail forks app or do some strava segment exploring and you’ll find loads.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Caberston (aka Golfie) and defo go over the inners TC side and ride Angry sheep multiple times. Tis awesome.

Northwind

The mighty golfy.

But also, if you’ve not done so already, hit up the GT and inners offpistes, as far as I’m concerned inners red is only a convenient way to get to the good stuff now. I could genuinely spend a whole day just doing laps of Angry Sheep, it is close to flawless. And Five Year Plan into Mild Peril or Broon Troot then up Redemption and down the blacks and Ponds Trail, then back up to finish on the Fort has become a GT clasic I think. (throw in Zorro or B side if you want a little more)

Thornielee is fantastic too and adds a lot of different flavour to the valley, mile for mile I probably prefer Thornielee but the ease of access at inners and the golfy make them better for a visitor.

ChrisL

Angry Sheep is indeed a really good trail.

As Northwind says there’s quite a lot of stuff at Glentress and Innerleithen that isn’t part of the waymarked trails so it’s worth checking that out if you haven’t already. You may not think that doing Mark of Zorro or B Side counts as a “little more” while you’re climbing your way back to the rest of the trails, though!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I’ve said before, I really need to get to know how to link all the good bits up at GT, must make the effort.

moonsaballoon

What chris L said , I love zorro but when you realise where you are after it does take the shine off a bit .
    for the glentress day you could do worse than follow this years tweed love vallelujah route which ticked off pretty much all my favourite gt trails ( off and on piste )
    The golfy is brilliant but you need to plan your route quite well I feel otherwise it can feel like you have spent all day grinding up that fire road

poah
    Free Member

Did some of the off piste GT trails last weekend, not had so much fun in ages as I minced down trail fairy plan.

Northwind

B Side! It’s ****in B Side! Shit name but that’s by the by.

(that wasn’t you I bumped into up on the black was it Poah? I was on an orange remedy with a blown up shock, I think you might have offered me patches)

poah
    Free Member

I had a gimbal on my chest and an orange met parachute. Don’t remember offering anyone patches. Didn’t see another soul after heading past spooky wood on the way to the mast (other than the stranger i cycled with down the trails with)

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Zorro, spooky natural, sh sh sh then broon trout and then a wee ho chi min/ zoom/janets brae is a great day at gt.

thecaptain
    Free Member

So…um….may be a silly question but how does one go about finding these off-piste trails? Is there a map of them?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Trailforks as mentioned above.

ChrisL

stevemuzzy – Member
    sh sh sh then broon trout

Sob. Though you nearly got Broon Troot right, I suppose.

bellerophon
    Free Member

A favourite of mine is to start at the Gytes, do the above trails already mentioned or whatever, but end up at the mast for a final descent of Carls Lane > Ho Chi Min > Zoom N Bust > Fort\Daves trail, drops you out with a short ride back to the Gytes.

I measured this on Strava and from mast to end of ZnB is 2.4 miles 😀

tops5
    Free Member

Did some off piste there last weekend using trailforks app – best trails i’ve ridden without an uplift 🙂

I entered the forest via a back road (Gytes?) I didn’t see a soul for my 1st 2 laps of the masts

jamesg55
    Free Member

Just finished editing part one of my riding clips from the king and queen enduro. My second time riding in the area and its some of the best trails without a doubt. Love the stuff in the golfie area. Need to go back asap!
    [video]https://youtu.be/7q2ZTxb-zgk[/video]

gavstorie
    Free Member

i ride loads of stuff in the valley, predominantly caberston, innerleithen, thornielee.

if you follow me on strava you should be able to pull a gpx from my activites..

https://www.strava.com/athletes/1535421

riklegge

I’m hoping to head up to Golfie / GT on Friday morning for a few hours, just wondering how the trails are running at the moment? Anywhere specifically worth avoiding?

BoardinBob

Still some forestry work at the golfie

Deliverance, the new one whose name escapes me and redemption climb closed at GT at the weekend past

Mugboo

Heading up there this weekend and hoping you guys can help me out.

Glentress – if we do Broon Troot which is the best way back up to the mast?

Golfie – As first timers looking to be broken in gently rather than broken, what is a good order to ride the trails in and are there any best avoided?
    If the weather is poor all week or on the day would this order change?

Inners – Best way to ride up for a play on Angry Sheep if we have the energy Left?

We have downloaded the Trail Forks App.

ChrisL

Mugboo – Member
    Glentress – if we do Broon Troot which is the best way back up to the mast?

Broon Troot spits you out onto the Redemption Climb. Partyway up that you’ll get to small clearing where the trail turns left. There’s a bail out path straight ahead and another trail coming in from the right.

Take that right hand trail back up to the fire road. This is the same fire road that Broon Troot, Deliverance and Hit Squad Hill start from. Turn left along the fire road, then right when you get to the bottom of Super G/top of Hit Squad Hill.

At that point you’re on the red climb, so take that up to the top of Spooky Wood. Instead of taking that descent keep on the fire road and you’ll get to the mast after not too long.

Mugboo

Thanks Chris, only worry now is which section of Redemption is closed..

alanm
    Free Member

You will be fine if you do Brown Trout, Redemption is open from the exit of brown Trout

Mugboo

Cheers Alan, great news

hainman
    Free Member

Had a great day a few months back doing the natural stuff and was my first proper ride on my Bird
    But 3 times ip to the mast pretty much killed me
    Had the worst cramp ever on drive home that I nearly jumped out my van driving along the M8

cabbage84
    Free Member

Inners – Best way to ride up for a play on Angry Sheep if we have the energy Left?

Do angry sheep before you do Cadon bank (last descent on red trail). When you come back onto the fireroad after doing Plora Craig instead of turning right towards Cadon Bank turn left and climb up the fireroad trailforks should help you with the rest of directions

Mugboo

Thanks cabbage84. Our current plan is to try a bit of Golfie then use the red trail at Inners to find the Angry Sheep fireroad then session that and the others nearby.
    Worth taking in Alaister Lee’s afterwards to get back down?

hopefiendboy

tagged for future…

thanks chaps!

bigjim

Alister Lees is always a laugh

andyr
    Free Member

Going this fri/sat and rhis has saved me asking.

hedley
    Free Member

As well as Angry Sheep, don’t forget Green Wing and New Bit which are all in the same area.

Then there’s “Trail without a name” which pops you out on the Red Plora Craig just before the shortcut up to the corner.

moonsaballoon

What hedley said , trail without a name is really good. as your riding up the fireroad to angry sheep look out for a trail on your left and thats it

speedstar

Feed the Pony. From the top. Just pure fun!

Liftman

Trail without a name is called “Bye Driver”

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, bye driver is marked on trailforks.

Mugboo

Well folks I do hope you realise how lucky you are. I have decent riding round here in West Yorkshire but it’s all over too quickly and we don’t have that lovely chundery substructure.

We did a cracking GT off piste and on day yesterday (thanks Northwind) & a bit of Golfie/Inners off piste today. Amazing is overused these days but not in this case. Thank God I fitted a Shorty. Night folks, I’m off to dream about endless corners…

Mugboo

And thank you to your very talented and hardworking trail builders, someone has a good eye for a line!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Tweed Valley trails not part of Glentress or Innerleithen’ is closed to new replies.