Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • TV wall mounts – much of a muchness?
  • Mat

I want to wall mount my TV*, looking at the array of different mounts I’m bewildered. The TV was £100 second hand so I’m not wanting to spend close to the same again on attaching it to the wall. I’m after a pull out mount that can be viewed from an angle, for a Sony 40″, it’s going to be attached to a stud wall. Any thoughts/recommendations/regrets to impart? Is it worth paying a bit more or will a cheapy job do the trick? I imagine once in place it will rarely move so I guess a smooth action isn’t that important.

*I’m short on time so just imagine I’ve done a suitably STW middle class rebuttal of television, “I don’t know why I’m doing this, I never really watch it”, “it’s only for documentaries on BBC4”, that sort of thing…

molgrips
    Free Member

We’ve had two tellies on super cheap Amazon mounts over the last 12 years or so. Nothing has fallen off the wall yet.

The second one we bought (for a bigger telly) has a spirit level in which is handy. Still cheap tho. Having said that ours is screwed with huge long screws into the blocks behind the dry lining.

trailwagger
    Free Member

If you want one on a swing arm, then no. They are not much of a muchness.
    A good quality one will have better hinges that dont sag or twist when the tv is pulled out. This is important unless you enjoy watching tv with your head at a jaunty angle.

That said i have no recomendations for “good” ones, sorry.

perchypanther
    Free Member

for a Sony 40″, it’s going to be attached to a stud wall. Any thoughts/recommendations/regrets to impart?

If I was mounting something that size on a stud wall I’d be fixing an 18mm plywood pattress to the wall first, making sure that it was securely fixed to the studs. Then fix the bracket to the pattress.

The chances of your fixing points on the brackets all lining up with existing stud work is slim indeed and plasterboard alone won’t take the weight of a 40″ telly cantilevered out from the wall on a swinging bracket.

Mat

yeah perchy I’m wary of making sure it’s got a good hold, I was even considering cutting a rectangle of plasterboard out between studwork and putting in some more horizontals in to frame the mount if that makes sense.

Although with a mount thats just an upright like the one I linked I guess you could make sure all the screws went into the studwork? All the leverage is going to be on a vertical plane rather than horizontal.

Kahurangi

I really rated the one I got form amazon… I’ll dig out a link when I get home.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘TV wall mounts – much of a muchness?’ is closed to new replies.