Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • TV access in prison
  • MoreCashThanDash

Watching 24 Hours in Police Custody on catch up, and its a case involving a baby death, the partner was convicted of murder.

Just wondered if inmates would see the programme, or if he’d already be in special protection.

Just curious how these type of situations play out, not wanting to start an internet lynch mob.

doomanic

not wanting to start an internet lynch mob.

You know where you’ve posted, right?

MoreCashThanDash

You know where you’ve posted, right?

I’m expecting to need to ask the mods to close the thread.

tjagain

There is usually an area  where folk like that are kept away from the general population.  I would expect he would be there.

Edit – IIRC known as “fraggle rock” in the prison I worked in

jambourgie
    Free Member

Nonce Wing surely? For his own protection,

Good question about TV’s though, I’m sure they do, as a privilege, but surely it must be censored, Otherwise old Harry on C-Wing who’s been quietly keeping himself to himself could get outed on some true-crime documentary as a diabolical graaaarse.

Dickyboy

There’s usually a “segregation” wing in most prisons.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Good question about TV’s though, I’m sure they do, as a privilege, but surely it must be censored

I’d have thought censorship was essential otherwise after a few old episodes of the A Team on Forces TV the inmates would all be cobbling together some kind of escape vehicle

tjagain

Segregtion wing / nonce ally / fraggle rock/ gash alley – all names I have heard for the same thing

BillMC

‘In prison lingo cucumbers = numbers; numbers = Rule 43; Rule 43 says that any new arrival is entitled to be segregated for his own protection on a vulnerable prisoners [VPs] wing. … VPs cannot associate with other inmates’

5plusn8
    Free Member

Rubber_Buccaneer
    I’d have thought censorship was essential otherwise after a few old episodes of the A Team on Forces TV the inmates would all be cobbling together some kind of escape vehicle

V good.

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks for the input folks, especially the A Team reference 👍

Superficial
    Free Member

I’d have thought with the internet most inmates can look up the details of their colleagues’ trials. Perhaps not directly, but via visitors etc. You surely can’t expect your identity to remain a secret?

andrewreay

especially the A Team reference

Late to this. I was going to say ‘Escape to Victory’ instead. Just in case the inmates got inspired to form a football team and take on the national side at Wembley / Millennium / Hampden Park etc.

binners

The Shawshank Redemption would definitely be off limits

According to the Daily Mail don’t they all get given a massive telly with a full Sky Sports package, Amazon Prime, Netflix and a PS5 when they check in?

mogrim

It’s only fair to point out that this year is the 50th anniversary of the massive injustice of them being sent to prison in the first place – were it not for that seminal event, this wouldn’t be a risk.

peekay

According to the Daily Mail don’t they all get given a massive telly with a full Sky Sports package, Amazon Prime, Netflix and a PS5 when they check in?

I was disgusted when I read a headline about the number of people in prisons ballooning. Why should they get to experience such a lovely day out?

grum
    Free Member

They should be allowed TVs but only with Oz playing on repeat to remind them of how lucky they are to not be in an American prison.

joefm

I’d hope he would be in the general prison population so he can try his anger out with them instead of children. prick.

andrewreay

It’s only fair to point out that this year is the 50th anniversary of the massive injustice of them being sent to prison in the first place – were it not for that seminal event, this wouldn’t be a risk.

Wasn’t there a campaign for Trump to pardon them?

NJA

They get a shonky TV with Freeview, as a privilege, which they lose at the first sign of any trouble or dissent.

It is not a hotel.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

They also get given £100k / year of benefits and a free house for life, a massive one, one which is definitely more massive than yours or mine or anyone elses.

And they wee in the shoes of every daily mail reader including Disgusted of Tonbridge Wells.

poly
    Free Member

Many prisoners do have access to TV. As far as I know BBC1,BBC2,ITV,Ch4,Ch5 only. I don’t believe there is any censorship – some inmates have TV’s in their cells.

I’d have thought with the internet most inmates can look up the details of their colleagues’ trials. Perhaps not directly, but via visitors etc. You surely can’t expect your identity to remain a secret?

Just to be clear – prisoners do not have access to the internet*. Before the internet, there were still ways for visitors etc to share what another inmate had been convicted for.

(* I’m not sure if long term prisoners in low security / open facilities before they get released get access to the internet to help them acclimatise to the outside world. Imagine the culture shock if you were banged up in the 90’s and then suddenly you are released. However certainly within “normal” prison you don’t get the internet.).

footflaps

They also get given £100k / year of benefits and a free house for life, a massive one, one which is definitely more massive than yours or mine or anyone elses.

Surely that’s £100k per child? Pretty sure I saw that in the Express…

timbog160

I thought this was going to be ‘asking for a friend’.

I’s disappointed…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

They get a shonky TV with Freeview, as a privilege, which they lose at the first sign of any trouble or dissent.

& it’s not free. Each cell pays £1 a week, (so a double pad is £0.50 per con) only basic channels available plus some limited Freeview type stuff & radio channels but obviously the news is on there!
    Internet was/is very strictly controlled & limited & only available in education workshops, not cells.
    Any questions, please ask. 😜

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘TV access in prison’ is closed to new replies.