Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Turkey crown resting – how long’s possible?
  • CrumpledCartlidge
    Free Member

So due to family being family, logistics for tomorrow are making cooking timings ‘fun’.

As it stands my plan is to cook 2kg turkey crown for 110min, remove and then let it rest under foil and towels, so insulated for probably 3hrs, while I play taxi and then finish up veg etc before serving. – I know that’s much more than the much stated 30min-45min, but seen various saying it would also be okay.

Alternatively, cook crown and while its cooking, play taxi before returning, removing it and doing veg – that would mean resting for say 1.5hr, which I know to be better but would mean leaving the house empty while it cooks, which obviously I don’t like the idea of just in case something happens with it or me while out, plus i wouldn’t be able to baste it etc.

So food poisoning or house burning down. What we reckon?

Ta

CheesybeanZ

The turkey doesn’t need to be oven hot, the gravey and veg will provide the heat .

Onzadog
    Free Member

How long would it rest ready for sandwiches on boxing Day?

locum76
    Free Member

Let it cool, hack it up and stick it in the fridge.

CrumpledCartlidge
    Free Member

Just thinking, that maybe way to go. Cook it while there, get it out, let it cool whhile being taxi for 1.5hr, come home, ‘hack it up’ and put in fridge and finish everything else. – Not fussed about serving cold.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Put it in the oven before the taxi bit?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You’re overthinking things.

rOcKeTdOg

Cook it tonight, slice & heat up in the microwave tomorrow, it’s only poultry & veg. Have a beer while waiting for the “ping”

Inbred456
    Free Member

Cook it then wrap it in foil. Slice and serve when needed using gravy etc to heat it up. I wouldn’t slice it until it’s ready to serve. Turkey can dry out faster than a Camels Sandel.

scuttler

But whatever you do don’t serve onto cold plates.

dirkpitt74

Just finished cooking ours.
    Will leave it to cool and the cover it.
    Will slice tomorrow before lunch and warm it with the gravy and veg etc. served on warmed plates.

Got the pork joint to do in the morning too.

cchris2lou

3 hours is crazy.
    Legally in a professional kitchen cooked food must be cooled below 10c within 2 hours. And that is inside the joint of meat.

The most common food poisoning in the UK at Xmas is people cooking the meat too early and leaving it to stand on the side.

If you are going to do it anyway, make sure it is cooked properly in the first place, 75c with a probe, or end of a knife boiling hot on your tongue. And cover it fully with foil to avoid cross contamination.

TiRed

Learn how to use the timer setting on your oven. My joint will be ready for when I get back from my bike ride. My ride will be longer than the time needed to roast the lamb

anagallis_arvensis

Get someone else to play taxi or eat later?

mrb123
    Free Member

It can be rested for as long as the cooking time. Wouldn’t go any longer though.

martinhutch

Put it in the oven before the taxi bit?

Wrap it in foil, stick it in a Sports Direct bag and carry it on the passenger seat during the taxi bit.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Turkey crown resting – how long’s possible?’ is closed to new replies.