Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Turbo trainers
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

So.

Katie’s going to have her shoulder operated on and is going to have her arm in a sling for 6 weeks. She’s looking to get a turbo to keep some fitness (and stave off boredom) while she’s recovering.

What do I need to know?

merf777
    Free Member

Definately use a trainer tyre, a normal road tyre will wear out fast, and anything with tread will be VERY noisy!!

Regards, Paul

eskay

I think it is a bit of a myth about tyres wearing out quicker on a turbo. I have never noticed it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Air ones are horribe

All are boring

Get trainer road (and a garming speed/cadnce sensor and ANT+ USB stick).

Sufferfest can be ‘fun’.

Drop or Tri bars help as sitting still in one position on the saddle for that long makes even a comfy saddle uncomfortable, so being able to alter the angle of your pelvis helps.

A lot of cheep ones look like Minoura Hypermag resistance units, even down to the remote. If they are then they’re a bargain.

I think it is a bit of a myth about tyres wearing out quicker on a turbo. I have never noticed it.

There’s a quote on the DC Rainmaker site from one of the tyre manufacturers stating that even they think trainer tyres are a rip off. Just use an old worn out road tyre, you’ll retire another road tyre long before you do enough turbo miles to wear the first one out completely.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Go for good second hand rather than spending the same money on cheap brand new.

Regards, mW

saxabar
    Free Member

To know? They’re a great incentive to get out, whatever the weather! Used mine once for 30mins since getting one over Xmas. I don’t have the mental stamina. As above, go for second hand (I didn’t).

merf777
    Free Member

I guess I do a lot of miles on mine, as wear a normal road tyre out in a matter of months. I do however run slightly less pressure otherwise they can slip a bit if you want to stomp the pedals/accelerate hard for intervals. Just sitting and spinning, no. Also depends if its a steel or PU roller….

The Kurt kinetics fluid/mag trainers are good/cheap/quiet.

Regards, Paul

vondally
    Free Member

trying to recover fitness after another bout of consultations and consultants, gym timetable for spinning altered and did not fit for me so got a
    tacx blue motion trainer from Halfords

personally I have no issues with boredom…you tube and off I go…complete switch off almost meditative

resistance is fine

a trainging plan video may help/website but I just use my heart rate and old spin class routines as above sitting there and spinning well may not be the best use of time

mop bucket for after essential

enjoy

tyres less pressure make sense as mine does slip

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I just use schwalbe blizzard tyres, cheep and seem to last long enough. I found setting the turbo’s resistance low and using a high gear more effective than lowering the tyre pressure at reducing slip. Maybe that helps tyre wear too? I can get upto about it’s 600W maximum without it slipping.

Ohhh, and get a big fan, screwfix do an 18″ floorstanding one which is great.

Northwind

I’ve got a blue motion, it’s fine. I’ve had a conti turbo tyre before (on a loan), now using a cheapo halfords slick, only difference is it skids slightly easier but there’s no change in noise.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Heart rate monitor, cadence sensor, ant+stick! laptop, turbotrainer.co.uk.

Like trainer road but free.
    Oh, you need a bike and a turbo trainer too of course.

DT78
    Free Member

I’ve actually started quite enjoying my turbo now after a couple of years of not really using it properly. Can set it up in the lounge and do slow steady stuff watching the telly or DVD or in the kitchen doing intervals to sufferfest. Much better than fighting the wind and rain. Still need to get out for one decent ride a week minimum though. If it was nice though I would be outdoors every time. I picked up an taco sattori for about £80 decent bit of kit. I do use a proper trainer tyre, it costs something like £20, I used my normal road tyre for a few sessions before it arrived and you could see it polished smooth, it is also quieter.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Noisy tyre is solved by an MP3 player, or quieter tyre.

DaveRambo

Get a decent fan – it’s gets very hot without the airflow over you.

snownrock

I’ve got an elite crono fluid on its way. £150 new on wiggle but there are loads around for about £70 secondhand.

As usual I went by the 700+ reviews on wiggle.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Drop or Tri bars help as sitting still in one position on the saddle for that long makes even a comfy saddle uncomfortable, so being able to alter the angle of your pelvis helps.

Katie’s right arm is going to be tightly bound in a sling so it will be her old hardtail being used (she won’t be able to change gears on the road bike) with a slick tyre on it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In that case (i had a broken forearm so a ‘tri’ position helped keep weight off that), sitting upright “look ma’, no hands” style inbetween intervals helps. Just sitting on the hoods for 60 minutes was unbearable.

turbotrainer.co.uk.

Just a holding page?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Turbo trainers’ is closed to new replies.