Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Tune 15mm throughaxle front hub end cap removing
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Looks like my Fat King front hub started to be noisy. Bearings after all river crossings and wet Peaks/Lakes rides finally giving up.

Quick check of Tune website manual for my hub tels me that to disassembe end caps, to get into bearings I need TT08.4 tool from the set below.

It looks like a bit of machined rod with pawl that is getting into notch inside of throughaxle sleeve.

Easy… But goddamn expensive 🙁 Whole set looks to be about 80 quis posted from Bikes24 or Bicycles Discout.de.

On top of that I do not really need whole set, as I’m only having one, front hub. And not planning to buy rear/any more any time soon…

Any word of wisdom on how to do it at home without wrecking whole thing out? Or maybe you know someone/you are that person that is owing whole set and can lend me 08.4 tool to strip my hub?

… or shall I just go full pelt, sell the hub with note “requires new bearings” and buy Hope instead? Wheel rebuild will be required for that one of course 🙁

Cheers!

I.

strike
    Free Member

IME no need for the special tools-I replaced all the rear bearings in my Kong rear hub using sockets as supports/press.  Just go easy and Tune also recommend to use Loctite 641 to bond the bearings in-place.  You may need the tuning shims to get the tolerances correct.  I think Hope use the same bearings so you could use those (made by INA-FAG).  I highly rate Tune hubs-now on my 2nd set of King/Kong’s.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Thanks!

Not concerned with actual bearing swap, but with end caps removal.

That seems to be requireing tool with barb to fit notch in TA sleeve.

Tried to pull it by hands and wasn’t able.

Any suggestion re. that?

Cheers!

I.

strike
    Free Member

One end-cap is fixed to the axle and the other is removable – slide in a small length of steel rod and at one end you’ll feel a lip of the end-cap – tap against the lip and the end-cap should gradually move off the axle and then come free.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

There is a notch inside of throughaxle, I bet you are talking about that one?

Cheers!

I.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Tune 15mm throughaxle front hub end cap removing’ is closed to new replies.