Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tubeless woes
  • spendtoomuch
    Free Member

Right, just got some crossmax wheels and I am attempting to go tubeless for the first time.

I am using continental baron tyres, stans sealant, lots of soapy waterand a track pump and I just cannot get the tyre to seat, I have taken the inner out of valve in an attempt to get more air in but there is no difference. I have followed various guides online but still no luck.

Now, short of getting a little co2 cartridge thingy is there anything else I can do to help seat the tyre? Would taking it to the local petrol station to use the inflator help

Any suggestions before the wheel is thrown round the house?

Netdonkey

Throw the wheel around the house. (Take the sealant out first.) then go have a beer, maybe a curry and then come to terms with the fact that persistence is the only way. Soon enough you will be busy pumping like a 15 year old and will hear the pop of the final seal going in place and know you have won! 😀

jekkyl

Didn’t we already establish that yes you need either a compressor or to rig up a ghetto inflater.

jamj1974

Put the tyres on the wheel add an inner tube inflate to 60PSI and leave overnight. Tomorrow reinstall tubeless valve and add soapy water to bead. Place wheel valve hole down and press town on top if wheel. Begin to inflate continuing to press down. If tyre is going to inflate with track pump it will happen now and you will hear bead go ‘crack’ several times as it seats.

This has always worked for me – only used the tube trick once with someone else’s wheels and it did the job!

doodlebug
    Free Member

+1 for a ghetto !

One hour making one with a old lemonade bottle and bits and bobs found in the shed, been good as gold now with the same ghetto for four years.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Bear in mind it’s more (slightly) watery soap you need, rather than soapy water – just a smidge of water in some washing up liquid.

Having said that, I ended up buying a secondhand compressor…

spendtoomuch
    Free Member

Just seen some vids on the ghetto route, I need to find some tubing but I think I will go for it

where did people get the tubing from, I’m thinking garden centre or b&q?

jonba
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/diy-tubeless-tyre-inflators

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ghetto-tubeless-inflator-total-cost-9p

most garage compressors don’t work these days as they are designed to give a controlled flow of air not the blast that is needed to get the bead to seat.

How does the rim work, is it sealed or do you have rim tape/rubber strip? If the latter you can try putting some electrical tape underneath to make the bead tighter. Makes it harder to get the tyre on and off though.

spendtoomuch
    Free Member

Rim is sealed

definitely having a beer now though!

frogstomp

As indicated by jamj1974, have you already inflated the tyre with an inner tube so that one of the beads is already seated?

spendtoomuch
    Free Member

Im going to try the inner tube trick and also ghetto comoressor tomorrow morning.

I have temporarily given up tonight and am enjoying a cold beer

vincienup
    Free Member

Crossmaxes with decent UST friendly tyres and valves in good condition should be a piece of pee.

I do use the lemonade bottle with my track pump, but find that 40psi in the bottle is quite enough to pop the bead which is nice. My back was refusing to seat but it turned out valve was borked. Replaced with Superstars’ finest.

After picking up the tip for washing up liquid at around 1:4 with water for the bead I’m a total devotee of this and may actually start carrying a little bottle of the stuff in my camelbak for the next time that impossible tyre needs remounting in the middle of nowhere.

I’m led to believe that CO2 is very bad for latex solutions like Stans, Joes, Cafe Latex etc and causes curdling and the like leading to a manky mess and premature failure. By all means pop the beads with it but once you’ve let it down to pull the core and add the goop, re inflate with air alone. After a couple of big messes I don’t believe in the approach of goop in tyre before seating…

jamj1974

Definitely add sealant after you have first managed to seat the tyre as Vincienup says.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I always stick a tube in first to ensure that one side is fully seated. Once the tube has been taken out, I pull the unseated bead / side of the tyre as close to the rim to try and get rid of any large gaps etc. My tyres always seem to go up with just a track pump.

spendtoomuch
    Free Member

Cheers guys,

will be trying these in the morning. I will get the buggers to work!

Northwind

I’ve done Barons on 819s, wasn’t too bad but it took quite an effort to actually get things started- I ended up manually pulling the tyre onto the bead as it was keen to just sit in the well, once they started to puff up they beaded easily and well (though, they foamed for ages, very holey tyres- glitter helps)

But yeah, if you’re tubelessing without a compressor or inflator of some sort, do the inner tube thing first- it’s such a small amount of work, and it pays off over and over.

YMMV but I’ve not found taking the valvecore out to make much difference, unless the valve is a bit clogged.

belugabob
    Free Member

If none of the other suggestions work, get one of those long cargo straps with a ratchet tightener.
    Wrap this around the circumference of the tyre and tighten until the tyre squishes against the rim.
    Placing the wheel horizontally on a bucket also helps to keep the pressure even.

In general, once you’ve got it seated once, you shouldn’t have further issues.

daveh
    Free Member

I used ‘the other wheel’ as my ghetto inflator, pump ‘the other wheel’ to as many psi as you dare then connect it the wheel/tyre you’re trying to seat. No pop bottles harmed.

jamj1974

So did you get it up OP?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless woes’ is closed to new replies.