• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • New tubeless tyres losing air overnight
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’m a relative newbie to tubeless tyres, having just run 2 sets previously; my last set (Kenda Kozmik Lite IIs) have been flawless.

I fancied a change and bought a pair of Vittoria Terreno XC tyres; they went on easily and the beads popped into place without difficulty. I made sure that I put in a bit extra sealant to set them up, gave them a bit of a spin and had a quick ride up and down the road. I left them pumped up at 40 psi and found both down to 10 psi today. There’s no obvious leakage of sealant (nothing showing through the skinwall sidewalls) and no hiss of air that I can hear.

There are a few very small dribbles of sealant from around the bead in a few places as I start to pump them up, but I’ve had this with both other sets of tyres.

Any tips or do I just need to ride them and spread the sealant around?

kerley
    Free Member

I would just ride them and see if it improves. You won’t necessarily hear a hiss of air if they are going down overnight. Best way to check is get a large tub of water or bath and hold the tyre under the water and work your way around. You will see a bubble emerge even if it is a very slow leak.

sharkattack

Totally normal, welcome to tubeless. It’s no better or worse than tubes it’s just a different set of problems.

But yeah, as above. They seal much better after a ride.

richmtb

What length of time are the losing 30psi?

All tubeless set ups lose a bit of air and they will generally improve after being ridden a couple of times.

Unless they are actually using an appreciable amount of air during a ride then I’d just keep an eye on it and add a bit more sealant if it doesn’t improve. If they are still losing lots of air then maybe its a tyre / rim compatibility issue.

PJay
    Free Member

I don’t know how long it took for the pressure lose to occur but it was about 24 hours between setting them up and checking them.

I’ll set them a ride and try and get the sealant thoroughly distributed, and perhaps put a bit more in, and see how they go.

JackHammer

I had this with a recent Hans Dampf, even a “bedding in” ride didn’t stop it. Pulled the tyre off the rim and added another layer of tubeless tape to the rim bed. Sealed up for over a week now.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah it’s normal. Some tubeless ready tyres hold air straight away, some take a ride or two to seal up all the way.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Vittoria Terreno XC tyres

Solution: 1). Get some decent tyres 🙂

koldun
    Free Member

May be worth checking for a leak around the valves too.

kerley
    Free Member

That will show when you hold it under water as will any other leaks. Really is worth doing.

feed

That will show when you hold it under water as will any other leaks. Really is worth doing.

This, for slowly deflating it’s the only solution. Could me air leaking past the rim tape in which case you’ll see it bubbling out slowly from around a nipple.

In this case you either have to redo the tape (a pain) or live with it. A leak anywhere else the gunk should seal it.

Could also be getting through where the valve is making contact with the tape.
    . Tightening the value nut might sort this (or make it worse 🙂 ).

A leak anywhere else the gunk should seal it.

PJay
    Free Member

Hmm, same result this morning (both tyres). I’ve tried the wheels/tyres in water and thought I had a leak around one spoke but when I lifted the wheel out of the water and put it back in, it stopped. There are some bubbles forming on the sidewalls (skinwall).

Any point in retaping or should I just add a bit more sealant and see how they go?

Vittoria Terreno XC tyres

Solution: 1). Get some decent tyres 🙂

Have you had issues with them?

DezB
    Free Member

Kind of agree with trailrider Jim, some tyres are just not as good as others.
    That said, also some sealants are better with some tyres, if you get my drift.
    Vittoria do their own sealant so might be worth switching to that, or dunking ina bit more of what you already have in there. A few rides will probably sort it anyway.
    Most of that has already been suggested, so just enforcing those ideas 😊

kerley
    Free Member

could be coming out through the walls then. Continental Protections are really bad for that and I had same when putting one under water. They deal sort themselves out after a few weeks though.

Have you ridden on them yet and that definitely has a better effect of throwing the sealant around into all the potential leaks.

bob_summers

They are decent tyres, arguably a bit heavy. If you’re getting bubbles around the spokes then it’s probably leaking past the valve. I leave the wheel with the valves at the bottom to pool the sealant down there, then turn the wheel to try and coat the valve head. Not sure if that has any merit but it seemed to do the trick yesterday with a bit of wafting the wheels around (Vittorias/Geax Gomas, not tubeless rated)

PJay
    Free Member

The Kenda’s have been on so long I’ve forgotten what they were like when they were new. I haven’t had a chance to ride the Vittoria’s yet and today we’re in the throes of Storm Dennis so I think I’ll give it a miss.

I’ve added a bit more sealant and I’ll see how things go (if the worst comes to the worst I can always put the Kendas back on).

The Terrenos are built on the TLR casing rather than the more robust TNT so they might need a bit of extra sealing.

kerley
    Free Member

I haven’t had a chance to ride the Vittoria’s yet and today we’re in the throes of Storm Dennis so I think I’ll give it a miss.

Fair weather cyclists eh 🙂 I was out at 07:00 this morning to get a ride in before the storm kicked off fully.

ta11pau1

If they’re lightweight tyres and you’ve got pinprick bubbles on the sidewalls, make sure not to put too much pressure in them, and if there’s more than a handful of pinprick holes you might have to return the tyre.

I had the same on a wtb byway tyre, this one wouldn’t stay up.

Otherwise, once you’ve ridden it a few times the sealant will seal any other holes.

DezB
    Free Member

They are decent tyres, arguably a bit heavy

Says on website – lightest tubeless ready tyres…

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve heard it said that they’re a bit heavy but as I ride a tank of a Singular Swift as a sort of gravel bike weight’s not a huge issue (they weigh the same as the Kenda’s anyway). On the otherhand some folk have had concerns about frailty. I’m looking forward to trying them out anyway.

They’re quoted as 600g for 29×2.1″ (although I didn’t bother to weigh them) but sold as race light; compared to a similarly racy Schwalbe Furious Fred (29×2.0) at 360g they do seem a bit porky.

Fair weather cyclists eh 🙂 I was out at 07:00 this morning to get a ride in before the storm kicked off fully.

I was at work at 5AM, had I not been I’d have stayed in bed. Seriously though, I don’t mind a spot of wind & rain but what’s happening outside at the moment goes well beyond that!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘New tubeless tyres losing air overnight’ is closed to new replies.