Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Tubeless road – Schwalbe Pro One or..?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Apparently Fulcrum 77 DB have only been tested with Pro Ones. And they are apparently good but some people saying they don’t last long?

I’m just looking for a general riding tubeless tyre – not too slow but also would like it to be reasonably durable. Any suggestions?

ransos
    Free Member

Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance – roll well, fit easily, seem to be durable. I didn’t have a good experience with the Pro Ones, though they’ve been updated since.

infidel
    Free Member

Have a look at IRC tyres – Cycle Clinic stock them. They are the longest lasting tubeless I’ve used. Others I have used:

Challenge Paris Roubaix HTLR – pretty and feel nice but do lose air slowly.

Pro 1 – nice middle of the road tyre

Hutchinson Fusion – much like the pro 1

Mavic Yksion II – was an emergency purchase and I was dubious but it’s a nice tyre and easily as good as the pro 1.

IRC Formula Pro RBCC – all weather on the commuter. Excellent grip and longevity. A bit heavier than most of the above but hold air superbly with bugger all leak and utterly reliable.

Hope that helps.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got Pro Ones, the old version. No real complaints other than a puncture that wouldn’t seal with a worm so I had to take it off and patch it. Didn’t ride them much this summer so too early to really say how long they’ll last but they don’t seem to have worn excessively in ~1000miles.

I had Hutchinson Fusion 11storm tyres before that, slightly slower (not conventional winter tyre slow, but not extra special summer tyre fast). If I was specifying a bike form scratch I’d get those. In reality, the slight weight penalty and rolling resistance probably weren’t enough to be perceptible, especially as they’re on different wheelsets which more than masked the tyres difference. And they could be ridden through the crap on the road with absolute impunity. The pro-ones do seem to pick up a lot more pinholes even if tubeless does seal 95% of them, the hutchinsons I counted 32 thorns in the back one when I removed it, and it had never lost a PSI once I switched to Stans Race sealent.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Ive been riding pro ones since March. Over 3000 miles, no problems, no punctures, showing some signs of wear on the back. They are fast, and super grippy in all conditions and very often on offer so can pick up a pair for ~£40

Edit – Make sure you get the newer version with the addix compound

Haze

Liked the old Pro-ones, very comfortable but unfortunately also very fragile…I hear the new Addix version is much improved but it hasn’t stopped one of my riding mates puncturing twice on recent rides so I’m not yey convinced!

Hutchinson All Season just seemed stiff, not very comfortable but held up well.

IRC RBCC were execllent year round, came up a bit smaller in size that the Schwalbe and split one once on a cattle grid (it still sealed). I don’t think many tyres would have survived that impact.

I’m now using GP5000TL which seem very similar in comfort to the Schwalbe, they seem to be lasting pretty well too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ta.

Over 3000 miles, no problems, no punctures, showing some signs of wear on the back

That gives me confidence as 3k miles is probably enough to last me 12-18 months.

How do they size up?

trailwagger
    Free Member

How do they size up?

From memory bang on, I`m running the 30mm version. Can measure them later if you want me too.

ransos
    Free Member

I can only assume that the new Pro Ones are much improved. Mine had appalling wet weather grip, were puncture prone, and the rear was squaring off at 1500 miles. Just after, a large bulge appeared in the carcass.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member
    four
    Free Member

I run tubeless off road on both bikes (who doesn’t!) I want to believe I’ll get a similar experience on my road bikes, but just can’t get my head round it – higher pressures / lower volume so less margin for error and sealing capabilities.

The only time I’ve seen tubeless fail first hand on road (three times) were normal thorn / flint punctures – not rips, slashes or tears and on each occasion the punctures didn’t seal and a tube was needed.

Are tubeless really a better option than tubes on road? I currently have GP5000s in 25s and 28s – when they wear I’m still tempted to try but don’t want to waste dough and be disappointed.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I run pro ones on the good bike and they lasted noticeably less time than the gp4000s they replaced. I reckon you’ll still get 2500 miles out the rear though, which given they cost about 25 quid is hardly wallet busting.

Haze

I’ve been on tubeless over 5 years and won’t go back, I’ve not had any bad experiences though. All my punctures (bar the cattle grid incident) were on the Schwalbes and all sealed and held to 50 or 60 psi.

I generally run 70/75 anyway so no bother at all.

Mine had appalling wet weather grip

Yeah forgot to mention this, a bit sketchy on damp corners

ransos
    Free Member

Are tubeless really a better option than tubes on road?

IME yes. I’ve also been running them for 5 years. All punctures have sealed, and I like being able to run lower pressures, especially in winter.

infidel
    Free Member

I won’t go back to inner tubes – tubeless has been brilliant. Best example is a crit I racwd last year on an unswept airfield after rain. Loads of people punctured and I was just fine – not because of lack of punctures, I got several splooshes of latex on my legs and the frame had several areas of latex splurge at the end of the race, but because it really is effective.

Caveats – check your sealant levels – Milkit valves help in this respect, and carry a good anchovy kit, preloading the steps if yiu don’t use a preloaded system. When you use an anchovy let air in gently. First time I used one I used a co2 cylinder all at once and simply shot the anchovy back out the tyre!

trailwagger
    Free Member

Just for clarity (as there are a few different versions and updates) we are talking about Schwalbe Pro One TLE with Addix race compound, right?

“The Pro One TLE with Addix Race compound is Schwalbe’s answer to the competition. The casing is now marked as being a 2 x 127 TPI casing instead of the 127 TPI + Microskin fabric of the previous generation. While the Pro One Tubeless did well in our tests, we received a lot of comments about the subpar puncture resistance of the Pro One Tubeless when used in a tubeless set up. It looks like the Microskin didn’t work as well in real-life and Schwalbe now simply uses a double layer casing with a V-Guard puncture strip under the tread.

The compound also received an update, the Pro One TLE now uses the Addix Race compound instead of the OneStar compound of the previous generation. Specified weight has gone down by 10 grams for the same specified size but please be aware that Schwalbe downsized the tire to be more true to size when used with wider rims”

MrSmith
    Free Member

have used pro-1’s a couple of times but have moved to Hutchinson fusion 5, seem to be a good balance between durability and grip, i don’t mind tyres wearing out if they are grippy but want puncture resistant and grip first.
    think the range is split between race, endurance, wet weather types.
    pair i’m running now are the performance ones, will be buying them for my winter bike i’m building.

Haze

Mine were definitley the pre-Addix ones, have heard the new gen are much better but no experience myself

ransos
    Free Member

Mine were definitley the pre-Addix ones, have heard the new gen are much better but no experience myself

Ditto.

I also have the Ones (not Pro Ones) on my winter bike, solely because they’re available in tan wall and I’m a tart. So far so good, but I’ve only done a couple of hundred miles on them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

https://www.merlincycles.com/hutchinson-fusion-5-all-season-11-storm-tlr-folding-road-tyre-700c-116846.html are supposed to be a good balance of performance and durability.

Those are the ones, the name just rolls off the tongue 🤣

Can’t say I’ve noticed a lack of grip with the Pro-Ones, then again I find grip on the road is all or nothing anyway. Work out where it is, then spend the whole ride at 9/10ths or follow the guy in front and hope he has cheaper tyres than you!

RichT

I’ve got some yksion pro II in 25mm going cheap, if you want to try them.

Aidy
    Free Member

I like Pro Ones (pre-addix). Probably got 2200 miles out of the rear before replacing it, front is still going strong. No punctures (or none that sealant didn’t sort).

That was probably riding it under-pressurised for a good deal of the time, and a non-zero amount of gravel sections.

I’ve swapped down to Ones for winter, a fair bit cheaper, not too much of a weight penalty.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Been running tubeless for several years now, both on my posh summer bike, winter bike and TT bike. Here’s my thoughts :
    Pro ones (original) :
    ran these for a couple of summers (basically because there wasn’t much else out there at the time) relatively fast rolling, and half decent puncture protection. Had a few times where a puncture occurred and all but one resealed. The flies in the ointment for me though were after 1500miles the rear had squared off and the carcass was starting to show. Also the grip in the wet was absolutely shocking,had a few rear end slides so lost all confidence in them. The MK11 versions might of improved on this though. They came up large on my LB rims (17.9mm internal, 25 outside dia) 23mm tyres came out at 25

IRC Formula Pro RBCC TL
    Tried these after giving up on the pro ones. Very good tyre, lasted much longer 2500-3000miles on the rear) with excellent grip wet or dry. Not quite as fast rolling but not that noticeable. Ever so slightly heavier than the pros but could put up with that for the better grip. True to size also.

IRC Formula Pro X Guard TL
    After really liking the Formula pros I gave these a try on my winter bike. Very, very happy with them. Hard wearing (into
    My second winter with them) excellent puncture protection due to the mesh guard running around the tyre. Yes you take a hit on rolling resistance and weight but I’ll take that in winter if it means I keep on rolling. Fixing a puncture that doesn’t seal isn’t fun when you’re cold and wet.
    *note* if you haven’t heard of IRC tyres don’t worry, I’m lead to believe that they make the tyres that Specialized sell.

Vittoria Corsa Speed G+ Tubeless Ready Tyre
    These are the old MK 1 versions that I use on the TT bike. Super light, super fast but very fragile. A race day only tyre. I believe the MK11 version is a little tougher but I still wouldn’t trust them as an everyday tyre.
    Last but not least, the

Continental Grand Prix 5000 TL
    Put one of these on the rear of my TT bike for a 12hr TT I did last year (last thing I wanted was to be 11hrs into the race then have to abandon due to the corsa speed having a slashed sidewall) I was so impressed with it I got a pair for the summer roadbike. Excellent tyre, even more longer lasting than the IRC’s with the same grip. Also true to size. It’s also slightly cheaper (you can pick them up for around £40, the IRC’s are £55) so these are my favourite summer tyre atm.

kirky72
    Free Member

Never had a puncture that didn’t seal with pro ones, evo micro skin versions. In fact only aware of one puncture when I spotted a massive bit of branch spinning on my front wheel with its thorn in planted. Managed to seal when I removed it and spun quickly.

Wear wise, I think they’re good for 2500/3000 miles and a proportionally more for the front.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ve got Pro Ones and Conti 5000TL on different bikes. Both are great but I think Ill go Pro One as the replacements for both when they eventually wear. I reckon that won’t be until late Spring though giving them just over a year of use.
    All my tires have little white dot near the centre lines as I have obviously got thorns stuck in that sheared off and wore down but with no obvious leakage.
    Very happy with both.

claudie

Had mixed results with Hutchinson fusion performance, front lasted over 4000 miles but went through two in very quick succession on the rear and both got 5mm cuts that wouldn’t seal. 5000’s are my favourite, front has done 4000 miles and two rears have been replaced after 3000 miles. I run them all year round, front at 72 and rear at 78psi.

molgrips
    Free Member

if you haven’t heard of IRC tyres

They made MTB tyres back in the day.

It seems like high pressure is the enemy of road tubeless. I’m thinking that I would be able to run 70psi in a 28c if I weigh 90kg ish.

dickie
    Free Member

The new Pro One Addix do size up small. I bought an Addix 30mm to replace an original Pro One 30mm & it came out at 28mm.

molgrips
    Free Member

It said in some blurb that they made them smaller in anticipation of people using wider rims on which they would retain their stated size. I will be having somewhat wider rims I think.

trailwagger
    Free Member

It seems like high pressure is the enemy of road tubeless. I’m thinking that I would be able to run 70psi in a 28c if I weigh 90kg ish.

I run 60psi in my 30mm at 85kg.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sounds reasonable then.

w00dster

Tried all sorts to mixed results. Gp5000 weren’t great for me. Will try them next summer on the good bike though as hoping I just had a dodgy tyre. Rear was constantly getting flats that wouldn’t seal. Anchovies would kind of get me home, sometimes, but I’d invariably stick an inner tube in (after the fight to get the tyre of the rim).
    Pro Ones decent in the dry, not so great wet grip (crit racing). Not bad, just not confidence inspiring in fast corners. Didn’t get a great deal of use before they started to pic up flats that wouldn’t repair (yes I would clean out and reapply the sealant), maybe 2000 miles at the most. But that’s ok and probably what I’d expect from a fast rolling tyre.
    Winter bike is now on Bontrager R3’s. Seem good. Second time with a set of these as winter tyres. Not a fast tyre so wouldn’t use them as best bike/race tyres, but grippy and sturdy enough for winter miles.
    A lot of the time though it’s all about luck. I have friends who swear by the Hutchinsons and others who feel like they’re made of paper.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Yeah to virtually everything ⬆️⬆️ from me too. Pro Ones old & new are super fast & defo size up on the large side. My experiences of them riding – they are made from at least 50% cheese, not really in respect to punctures but more wear & tear. Currently on Hutchinson Storm as they came free with new set of wheels – not tried them out yet. Would also never go back to tubes.

AdamT

I much prefer the gp5000 to the pro Ones I had. I found the pro ones to be much more fragile. Not sure I’m helping, or that there’s any consensus?

molgrips
    Free Member

GP 5000s currently more easily available, some stock issues with Pro Ones it seems.

molgrips
    Free Member

Does anyone thing it does NOT improve ride quality?

stevious

For me the increase in ride quality has been more noticable with wider tyres. On my rim brake bike I can’t really go much over 25mm and haven’t bothered re-tubelessing either tyre after punctures that wouldn’t seal – I don’t notice the improvement enough for it to be worth the faff. The road wheels on my gravel bike have some 28mm pro ones on and they do feel better tubeless – I suspect moving up to 30mm will be even more marked.

It’s certainly not as night/day as gravel tyres or MTB tyres for me though.

w00dster

My 32mm clinchers feel pretty amazing to be honest, at least comfort wise. They’re my very bad weather wheel/tyre combo, comfy as anything but slow and heavy. Much more comfortable than my tubeless 28mm, but then again different size.
    In terms of pure like for like size wise, tubeless in my opinion is no more comfortable than a 28mm Vitoria Corsa G+.

Sandwich

I have a set of 28mm addix pro ones on the good bike. Very comfortable but required tape to seal them on my 2-way fit Zondas (25mm ones went on and up with no tape nor problem). I’m running 75 psi rear 70 psi front at 80-85kg weight.

Good grip in all weather but my set-up leaks air slowly and requires a check before each ride.

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s the difference between One and Pro One?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless road – Schwalbe Pro One or..?’ is closed to new replies.