Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tubeless on a Superstar Tactic rim? Will it work?
  • alric
    Free Member

Trying to go Tubeless on a Superstar Tactic rim
    I have JO’s valves and Stans (I think) but always leaks by the valve
    Ive tried extra layers of inner tubes both sides of the rim soaked in sealant to no avail
    Is it a known problem with this rim, or have I done it wrong?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve used them tubeless successfully.
    Not sure what setup though, it was years ago.
    Probably Stan’s tape and valves.

dc1988

Are you trying ghetto tubeless? If there is a weak point in the seal then it will often follow the path of least resistance and end up coming out of the valve hole even if that’s not the source of the leak i.e. it leaks into the cavity of the rim and comes out of the valve rather than any spoke holes.

andyrm
    Free Member

I ran them tubeless for a couple of years. What tyres are you using? And are you taping right across the rim bed?

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

Yes they are tubeless ready.

If they leak from anywhere it’s a problem with the taping. Arguing till your blue in the face, then it always ends up back here. Any leak from anywhere will end up in the void and come out near the valve

Strip, clean and retape

Neil SuperstarComponents

alric
    Free Member

I have fresh gorilla tape and nobby nic
    I couldnt find a leak anywhere but the valve.
    Its so frustratin. It has stayed up for a day, but no more
    Is there a way to block the valve up externally that would keep the air in until the sealant gets all over and does its work?
    Ok, strip clean and retape

kimbers

I have a superstar wheelset where one stays up perfectly the other never does

After several years I just run one tubed, one tubeless

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I run tactic (I think) tubeless no issues. I think they’re drilled for schrader tho?

dantsw13

What Mr Superstar says ^^^^^ makes perfect sense. Tactic is a TLR rim, so suitable bead, but not a sealed bed (a la UST). Any leak in the tape, the air will get into the rim, and it’s easiest exit point I’d at the valve, so you think that’s where the leak is.

I’ve got tactic rims set up tubeless & had them set up for years.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you need new tape anyway, try the Lifeline tape from CRC/Wiggle and get the one 2mm wider than your rim bed. It’s a bit more flexible than Stan’s / Tesa tape and I’ve found it more reliable. Cheap too.

And try a different valve too, obvs.

honourablegeorge

WTB tape seems to be Tesa also, and it’s again much cheaper than Stan’s also

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless on a Superstar Tactic rim? Will it work?’ is closed to new replies.