Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tubeless experts please help.
  • theboatman
    Free Member

I’m a veteran of tubeless and have never really had any gripes of problems with it….. till now.

I have some Alex ATD470 tubeless ready rims, that I have tried to set up with some Hutchinson fusion 5 tubeless tyre’s. Not pricey rims but set up a pair previously with no issues.

Current attempt is is with the above, Tesa 19mm tape and sealent. No problem getting inflated and the front is fine, holds pressure no fuss. But the rear leaks air from the join in the rim 😕 so re-tape and clean, new tubless valve and the air still comes out of the join, in just one side of the rim.

If this was a problem with the valve or the taping I would assume air would come out of the spoke/ valve holes, but equally the air seems to be coming out about 2 to 3mm down from the edge of the rims at the join, and I would have thought the tyre sits below that?

Seems to hold pressure till about 50psi then air comes out of the rim joint.

I’m very happy for someone to tell me what I’m doing wrong. Please tell me, my arms are knackered from track pump activity…

jonnyboi

Hold the rim horizontally with the rim joint facing away from you. Shake up and down to force sealant into the rim joint to seal it.

the atd470 is pinned so it is likely there is a gap at the joint

Poopscoop

So actual sealant is coming out of the join and not sealing it?

theboatman
    Free Member

Left it horizontal last night, slightly tipped to that joint, as I had the same thoughts. With the tape and the tyre there doesn’t seem to be a route for the sealent to work through to the join, but clearly air is getting through. Guess I can try again, so ta. Feel abit like my minds popped, never had an issue with tubeless before, so I feel a bit vexed.

theboatman
    Free Member

@poopscoop

No, no sealent leaving the joint, just air.

tillydog
    Free Member

What sealant are you using? I found that Stan’s would give way at about 50 psi in road wheels (bloomin’ excellent for MTB though). Switching to the Orange sealant cured it.

(Make sure your tape comes up the sides of the rim a little, too)

Speshpaul

seal the joint, superglue, epoxy, silicone,  duct tape across the joint.

Garry_Lager

I’d prob re-tape again tbh – air is getting past the tape so that seems like the basic problem.

Feel your pain – in the same boat having been on MTB tubeless for beards with zero problems, and finding road a lot more sensitive to set up. The taping in particular seems like it has to be spot on.

DezB
    Free Member

This stuff is worth a try – bought some to get some troublesome Schwalbe road tyres on and it works a treat.

Had trouble with a MTB tyre sealing recently, remembered I had this. Quick smear round the bead, pumped, sealed straight away.

Probably an expensive version of the old washing up liquid method, but far less messy.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/schwalbe-easy-fit-montage-fluid-30843

spxxky
    Free Member

Speshpaul

seal the joint, superglue, epoxy, silicone,  duct tape across the joint.

Second this 🙂

theboatman
    Free Member

Ah, good stuff, I have both super glue and an unopened bottle of orange sealant. I’ve been using some cheapo decathlon stuff that I picked up more on a needs must basis, but in fairness it has been fine on the mtb.

I did the first tape in garage conditions after ‘checking’ our turbo cider, but the second was a kitchen job, with wheel and tape warmed by the radiator. But yes, can’t avoid the fact air must be getting through somewhere. I generally just use gorilla tape on the mtb, but went posh as it was a road wheel. Second time I went with two wraps around and it literally covers up to just under the bead hook thingy on the rim.

The tyre’s seal without any issues on both wheels, the air is coming out of the rim join, but thanks dezb.

Thanks all.

theboatman
    Free Member

Actually @dezb I may well order some. This is driving my bike ocd insane 🤔😁

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless experts please help.’ is closed to new replies.