• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tubeless emergency kit
  • wzzzz
    Free Member

Ok I was late to the party. I set my new bike up tubeless, I am converted by the lower pressures.

What should I be carrying on long days out in remote places?

My tyres have sealant in them (magic mary and minion dhr) I carry a tube and pump as I have always done as well as a tube repair kit.

I’ve never ever shredded a tyre – it is more likely on a tubeless tyre?

Do you carry tyre patches and what are these anchovy things? Do I need a new tool? Should I be carrying a little bottle of sealant?

Will any incident be so rare its not worth bothering with anything?

Will my tyres be so full of thorns its not worth carrying the tube anyway?

So many questions.

qwerty
    Free Member

null

Tracey
    whitestone
    Free Member

One of those, it depends, length of a piece of string sort of things.

You’ve a few things to deal with. In order:

Thorns, nails, similar small punctures. The sealant will deal with it. Carry on riding.

Big nails and the like. It’s possible that the sealant will deal with it but you’ll lose quite a bit of pressure as the sealant will struggle to block things at higher pressures so you’ll have to pump the tyre up a bit. If the sealant doesn’t work then it’s time for the tyre plugs/anchovies/worms or whatever nickname you have for them. Fit, cut off excess, pump up tyre, carry on.

Sidewall slashes. Trailside you are unlikely to sort these out. Fit a tyre boot (anything from a bit of old toothpaste tube to a rolled up banknote will do), check for thorns, add an inner tube and carry on riding. When you get home, sort it out properly by sewing the cut and fitting a permanent patch to the inside.

Had quite a few of the first, one of the second and none of the last in five years of tubeless.

Anchovies need an applicator – one comes with the kit, it’s a bit like a short stumpy screwdriver. No big deal to carry it.

Keep the sealant topped up, add 50ml every 3-6 months depending on varying factors from how hot it’s been to whether you remember. Sometimes I take a 50ml bottle but usually don’t bother.

whitestone
    Free Member

In addition to the Dynaplug there’s also the Sahmurai kit which fits into your bar ends. Again, not cheap.

CO2 can affect some sealants, Stans fluid doesn’t like it for example, but there really shouldn’t be a need to unseat the tyre unless you are putting a tube in.

Forgot to add: take some flexible super glue to spread around the anchovy. You can get three little tubes of Loctite for a couple of quid.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Minimum is a tube, patches and a pump.

Anything else is just to try to stay tubeless for longer once you have an issue. I carry, in addition, a tyre boot, some bacon strips and the little screwdriver tool to insert them. On any longer trips I may carry two tubes.

peekay

On each bike I have cut some weldtite anchovy things to various lengths wrapped them up and stuffed them in to my crank alongside one of the applicator things and a bit of toothpaste tube.

I also keep a couple of CO2 Canisters, levers, a tool and and a tube strapped to the frame.

Cable ties stuffed up the crown of the fork. Quick link taped to the cables somewhere.

#FULLENDURO

This covers me for all local riding without needing to take a pack. Most likely walk home would be if 2 X CO2 isn’t sufficient.

On longer or more remote rides I often take a pump and extra tube in a pack.

ajantom

Weldtite kit, but I also bought some extra large motorbike anchovies from Ebay that have mended 10mm+ holes.
    Also spare tube and pump. Never had to use the tube. Yet!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

If you can carry a smallish wad of cotton wool in a baggie in a pocket or stuffed somewhere, after clearing all the sealant out that you can, wipe round with the cotton wool and it should snag and leave fibres on any thorns you may have missed.

Kahurangi

Weldtite kit has never let me down. I also carry a tube for races and big days out (actually, I never remove it from my bag so it goes everywhere with me).

What’s more useful is a spare valve core. I’ve helped out so many other riders (at least one) who was stuck because their valve core was blocked with sealant.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Brill thanks all.

I will order up a weldtite kit and save a toothpaste tube then.

The anchovies – do you have to remove the tyre to fit?

whitestone
    Free Member

Re Anchovies: No. The applicator (ooh err missus!) is basically like an open ended needle. You push the anchovy in to this, the applicator should be halfway along the anchovy, then push it into the tyre from the outside but leave the anchovy tails sticking out. Once in position you remove the applicator, holding the anchovy in place with fingers. Like any technique, practice beforehand on an old tyre – hammer a nail into it or something similarly damaging.

This page https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/blogs/news/living-with-tubeless-tyres goes through the process, on road tyres but the principle’s the same. The video can be hard to make out as he’s wearing a dark jumper – I ask you!

+1 to the suggestions about cotton wool (toilet paper works as well) and a spare valve core.

tillydog
    Free Member

Mostly, the sealant just works.

I used to carry the Weldtite kit, but on the one occasion I really needed it, I couldn’t get the anchovy into the tyre.

I now carry a Dynaplug. It has sealed two punctures* effortlessly and quickly, and I’ve also been on a couple of rides where other people have used them successfully.

dinah plug

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Dynaplug-Carbon-Ultralite-Tubeless-Repair-Tool_212621.htm

I just leave the darts in the tyre and trim off the ‘tail’.

(I also carry a pump and a tube, just in case.)

*Both would probably have sealed OK if the sealant hadn’t been old/dried out.

BadlyWiredDog

Will my tyres be so full of thorns its not worth carrying the tube anyway?

It depends on where you ride. I’ve come back from a week in the Alpujarras with about 20- thorns in each tyre – all sealed up fine – but had around two thorn punctures in the Dark Peak over the last three decades. I carry anchovies and a Park Tyre Boot along with a couple of old gel wrappers, a spare tube and a pump.

It doesn’t get mentioned much, but the pump also comes in handy for topping up air pressure if you do lose air before the sealant does its job. That and I object to using CO2 canisters on sustainability grounds.

igm

I tend to find half a dozen to a dozen decent sized thorns in any tubeless tyre I check that’s been in for a bit.

For me the tube would be useless. For others it may help.

What do I take?
    Dynaplug, knife or nail trimmers to shorten the Dynaplug once it’s in, pump, 2oz bottle of sealant, value core remover.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Tredz are good for dynaplug £5 off £30 spend
    TEL7ZFN6

The race has both the regular size and mega plug , or get the carbon version and some spare plugs to get the fiver off

nickfrog
    Free Member

Dynaplug is good but for £10 the Ryder Slug plug system is worth considering.

burko73

The weldtite kit has some glue in a flimsy metal tube. I just punctured the tube in my tool roll and it’s got everywhere. The dynaplug and slug plugs don’t seem to use glue. Are their anchovies different? Do I need the glue with the weldtite anchovies? The glue seems a pain in the ar&e.

nickfrog
    Free Member

The Slug Plug comes with 10 anchovies in 2 different size/diameter but not glue. I have sealed on the trail with no fuss and relied on the sealant to finish off the seal with a bit of grit and vegetation lol. You could carry a small tube of super glue to finish things off more quickly if you wanted.

Andy-R

eddiebaby

If you can carry a smallish wad of cotton wool in a baggie in a pocket or stuffed somewhere, after clearing all the sealant out that you can, wipe round with the cotton wool and it should snag and leave fibres on any thorns you may have missed.

That is an excellent idea – I’m going to carry a few of my wife’s make-up remover pads from now on, especially in Greece, where every ride is thorn city.

Kuco

Very tempted to get a dynaplug. Used a standard plug for the first time the other night and what hash I made of that. Did manage to plug the hole eventually.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless emergency kit’ is closed to new replies.