Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tubeless cross tyres for winter racing
  • zissou
    Free Member

Tore another sidewall in my Maxxis Mud Wrestlers so want to take the opportunity for some proper mud tyres. Limus? What about Terra? Bites?

Second question- when do you switch over? Obviously when it’s muddy but sometimes the extra grip will help regardless so wondered what people’s limits are for inters or files.

Ta

scaredypants

G-one Bite on the front and Clement Bos on the back on the muddiest wheels

My “dry” wheels have Terreno Wet on both ends

Both are good IMO. Can’t imagine anything rolling much faster than the terreno, even on tarmac. Then again, I’ve never been on the podium. Makes you think …

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got a 40mm terrano wet on the front, it’s definitely draggier than the CX Comp it replaced. I don’t race though. I find CX tyres have more of a sweet spot than MTB. MTB I’m happy with the same couple of tyre options for 90% of the year. On the CX bike it always feels like the wrong tyre and something else would be slightly better, except for a few glorious minutes when it seems to work perfectly!

zissou
    Free Member

Terraino wets look good- obviously having different wheels and tyres for different conditions is ideal but I’m reluctant to go down that expensive route- I’ve got a pit bike with old style Tracers on and that’ll do in an emergency and I’ll use them for the few dry races we might have next year. So something for everything else between slightly slippy to mega mud would be good 😅 happy to lose speed on drier straight stuff for grip everywhere else.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Not tried Terreno wet but use a mix front and dry rear as my go to intermediate set up. Dry/Dry for some courses. Tubeless. There’s a marked difference between the dry and wet tyre set up in terms of drag.
    Wet/mud set up is a baby limus rear/limus front. Both tubulars.
    I like the way the challenge tyres work. Can’t comment on tubeless as only used tubulars it open tubs with latex tubes.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I also use a Limus front and rear when it’s muddy (tubular) and a pair of Grifos for everything else (also tubular) though when the Grifos wear out I’m going to give the Baby Limus a whirl as a lot of my racing friends really rate them. As with all CX tyres their is a sweet spot in terms of tyre pressure which is different for each rider. When funds allow I’m going to give tubeless a go again and buy a decent wheels set. I found the old tubeless „ready“ tyres were anything but and they would regularly burp or explode off the rim in races. The new generation of tyres seem really good and I have been impressed with the tubeless road tyres on my new road bike.

As for when to use which tyre is something you have to work out yourself. I always think where would I gain/lose the most time and which tyre would help.

Garry_Lager

Challenge Limus or terreno wets – strong performers and also reliable for tubeless racing IME. Donnelly PDX (used to be called clement) well quoted but not used them myself.

Had the limus on all season and it was only race one where they were dragging a bit – been in its element otherwise in the NW.

ferrals
    Free Member

I have switched to terreno wets over PDXs. I’m very happy with them. Interestingly on sunday I raced with two bikes, one with PDXs on and one with Terreno Wets. I couldn’t really tell the difference in terms of grip; but the PDX seemed to ball up a bit more.

edit. my tyre thoughts are that once the ground has got squidgy, if the course is all grass/mud you arent going to notice any rolling difference between intermediates and muds. Where I used to find the PDX poor was on hard surfaces, there was a vague moment between being up straight and fully on the edge knobs whcih i didnt like, especially if a bit of gravel dust as well. I’ve not had the terreno wets on hard surfaces yet but i am hoping the more even spaced transition knobs mean that wont be an issue

bworks10

FMB have released an Open Tubular Super Mud – it’s seriously good!

https://cyclocrossracer.co.uk/blogs/news/fmb-open-tubular-review

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless cross tyres for winter racing’ is closed to new replies.